Official Whine, Moan, Complain Thread 19/20-CLOSED "WE CHAMPS!"

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by puffyusaf#2, Jul 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

It was ugly on both sides of the ball for the most part. Not a good look.

2. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

I really hate to start criticizing Luke because I think he's going to be great for us as a coach....but I'm honestly very disappointed in Luke.

This whole "all or nothing" approach in training camp usually doesn't yield results. You can't focus on just ONE end and completely ignore the other. We have so many new players, so getting them used to playing together in the offense he wants to run becomes just as important as gelling defensively. I get it, we were last in the league defensively last year...so naturally you want to improve your D. Problem is...when you bring in so many new players, you need to work just as much on the offense as you would defense.

Luke for whatever reason didn't do that. And it showed. Also, his rotations were Byron-esque (taking Ingram out right when he got hot and then waiting too long to put him back in).

Luckily, it's pre-season. But tbh...it's looked exactly like this the last 4 years in pre-season where we all say the same things "it's one game" "its preseason" "wait until XYZ veteran player with not much left in the gas comes back" etc We talk ourselves into "things will only get better from here" talk....

jbiggs likes this.
  3. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

I haven't watched it again but I've heard criticism about Luke taking out Ingram when he was hot. I saw Ingram wave towards the bench after a foul call to be taken out. He also looked a little winded, it came after his drive and lay up.

Also yes, Luke needs to get his share of blame for the way we looked yesterday. If we weren't running and gunning, we looked lost. We need to spend time learning some sort of half court game, teams will learn and take away the fast break.

We focused on defense but outside of the first quarter, defense wasn't great. Not having Brook can really affect things on both ends but we could have been more prepared.

4. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I think he might have tweaked a knee or something doing that layup. He looked like it did not feel good after he landed. Good lord hopefully nothing serious. I think OX mentioned something about guys hurting themselves on layups and could have been referring to that play as well. [​IMG]

sirronstuff likes this.
  5. alam1108

6. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

Brook playing doesnt solve the defensive problem. If Bogut is healthy, he's the anchor, but I am not expecting Bogut to play more than 10-15 a game.

7. Paperplanes

Paperplanes - Rookie -

I have been concerned with 3 point shooting for awhile now. I think many have forgotten how many games were kept close or won because of lou will's and nick young's shooting. Our youngsters will shoot better than last night, but they will be very inconsistent like most young players are throughout the year. I also feel like Brook Lopez will be too slow, like Hibert was, for this offense. I'm sure he will trail and spot up for three and/or post up, but he will be s-l-o-w.

8. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

all that excitement/hype just for the same old garbage:dwightcrying::Lonzoreally::SadPau2:

abeer3 and sirronstuff like this.
  9. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

I don't like this reliance on Brook Lopez either...we are deep at his position so if he's out (which will inevitably happen), we need to be just as good.

Also, we need to stop taking all these "precautions" with Lopez and get him out there with the starters asap so they can start building that chemistry immediately.

LTLakerFan and scnottaken like this.
  10. alam1108

Solve it, probably not, but he would help. Having a legitimate 7 footer to challenge shots is better than running Randle and Nance out there together.

11. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

A few intangibles that may have possibly been overlooked. The obvious is that this is the preseason and certain rotation configurations and certain defensive schemes are being observed in specific circumstances. Those in essence, can swing games, but this is a testing phase, so I'm not overly concerned with any tinkering and calibrating that is done during this time that may cost us victories.

This game came off a condensed training camp and with a roster that had a large overhaul over the summer. Team chemistry is not only with the players, but with the coaches as well.

Being that the Lakers have not yet waived any players from training camp, the onus is on the coach to make sure these guys get a fair share of court time to prove their worth. If BI gets yanked as he's heating up (even though some have correctly identified that he was asking out), then that is to be accepted as Luke has not only a responsibility to him, but also the other 19 guys on this roster to figure out who sticks and what role they will be most efficient in playing for this team during the regular season.

Lastly, key names are obviously missing due to injury or Trump's travel ban...whatever the case may be and as much as it is cliche to say it...this is the preseason. Championship Lakers teams have gone winless during some of these exhibitions. Its a long season folks....try to hang onto your sanity no matter how much this team unnerves you...especially during the early iterations of what this team could become.

EDIT: Looks around and thought I was in the Coach Luke Walton thread....my bad, continue to lose your s*** in here, fam...haha
    I got one...why on a Saturday night...don't they know that losing will just up my bar tab. These Lakers...so inconsiderate.

Cookie, Juronimo and LTLakerFan like this.
  12. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

13. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Defense, Defense, Defense.... we have none

14. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Makes you wonder what they're practicing

sirronstuff likes this.
  15. Barnstable

I shouldn't have said we have none, because KCP is on the team, but I don't understand how a team can get so confused on defense all the time

therealdeal likes this.
  16. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

Our defense was good except when it came to 3 point defense

17. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

With all the rule changes the league is going through, I wonder if the Lakers got hold of a leaked memo that has games being condensed to just one quarter. If that's the case, look out Dubs, that record's about to drop.

18. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

It's just preseason guys, remember they are all still trying to build chemistry

tada and Barnstable like this.
  19. Barnstable

This is true.

Its just the WMC thread is for b****ing after a game lie this

20. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

yeah, we suck. That is all...

scnottaken, ElginTheGreat and abeer3 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.