Official: Unsubstantiated Trade Suggestions, Speculation, And Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by Barnstable, Sep 15, 2014.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

San Antonio would be fools to let him go and reports are they're just going to let the market dictate the price, but I'd still give him a max offer sheet. Hell yes I would.

2. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....nicks-is-possible/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Higher percentage chance of him going to the Knicks than signing with us, IMO. I've always had that line of thinking myself prior to this article. Perfect fit for the Triangle, another star on the Knicks roster, etc...wouldn't be surprised if he ends up there.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2014
  3. therealdeal

I'd be shocked. They're going to stink just as much as we are with worse flexibility moving forward. The Triangle is going to be yet another failed experiment over there this season.

He'd be silly to go there. He'd be slightly less silly to come here.

4. thkthebest

thkthebest Administrator Staff Member

I would actually much rather have Marc than Jordan or Monroe.

Battle Tested20 likes this.
  5. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    therealdeal likes this.
  6. therealdeal

I go back and forth on it, but in a vacuum I certainly would too. If we pick up a high draft pick though and he ends up being an up and down kind of player, that's the future we're looking at. We're not looking at a slow game with Kobe and Boozer and Marc. I'd rather go quicker if we get someone like Mudiay in the draft.

Obviously if we don't get a high draft pick, I'd rather have Marc but then the question is... why would Marc want us?

7. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    First things first Realdeal, who said Boozer was coming back next year? My money is on he doesnt and unfortunately I dont think Marc comes here either. They locked up Randolph, theyre going to lock up Marc as well my gut tells me and thats okay because its proven the last how many years now?.. You can win without a dominant center, we can use that money for a true highly skilled position player and get a scrappy defending type Center that simply knows his role.

I hope we can bring back Hill on a cheaper deal and still hoping the 9 mill we gave him was an undercover maneuver to front load a contract. We void his contract next year but reach a deal on something more reasonable like 6.5-7.5 which I think is more than fair. Resign Davis as well to a reasonable contract around 2.5-3.5 mill tops and our C positions are IMO solid enough to be able to get us by to focus on other positions is the scenario I envision as being the fastest to truly contend.

But, if we end up with the top 5 pick and a big man is there all plans change and I believe we let hill go and re-sign Davis only to money I listed above. I rather do the Hill and Davis scenario and hopefully be in position to draft Mudiay and gives us a skilled positioned player on a rookie contract not to mention, still having a ton of open cap space.

8. therealdeal

I'm not saying Boozer will still be here, I'm just saying a dynamic, fast guard with our team right now isn't going to be able to do everything he should do. It's part of why Lin is a little more effective with the bench unit.

I keep ignoring Hill in my future ideas, but only because I think he's going to play his way right out of our price range. Last night he played like a PF/C worth 9 million dollars. If we want to improve though, those 9 million will have to either be split up or go somewhere else. I love Hill for what he does, but we have other needs besides him. I'm still obsessed with the idea of locking up Lin and Davis for reasonable deals. If we can do that, we'll move in the right direction. Top 5 pick or no top 5 pick.

9. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    I want a PG that can be clutch and have faith in during crunch time. Im not sure Lin is that guy, simple as that..and I dont want to risk investing that money in him,especially if it will possibly prevent you from using that money elsewhere.

10. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    I still say hope his value goes really high and trade him for assets if possible. Just my opinion.

11. LakersN4

LakersN4 - Rookie -

Who knows what the cap will look like next season.. But assuming we make no moves at the deadline that impact our flexibility next offseason.. Decline Hill's option.. Go after Dragic & Wes Matthews. If you can get both for less than the max it's a steal. Huge Matthews fan, he's Klay Thompson without all the hype. Then go with Biyombo, Asik, or Jordan at C. Whoever we can afford. I'm guessing Biyombo will be the cheapest. Hopefully have enough left to bring Hill back on a multi-year deal around 6-8M closer to what he's worth. Try to bring back Lin if it's for a bargain, if not, plenty of other PG's out there. Same with Davis.

Dragic
    Matthews
    Kobe
    Randle
    Biyombo

With a bench of Swaggy, Hill, Lin, Clarkson, Kelly, hopefully Ed Davis, Boozer?

That's a team that could compete right away & for years to come.

12. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    Matthews is not the scoring threat Thompson is,no offense.. I do love Dragic though, too much speculation because it is so darn early.

At the end of the day these scenarios is what I would do for fastest contention.

If we get a top 5 pick and that player pans out,than wed have 2 rookies starting on rookie contracts and I believe enough money for two max players as well. OR, if that pick or is used to bring a highly coveted impact player(wing or a big man),well still have room for a single max player.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  13. LakersN4

LakersN4 - Rookie -

If we're bad enough to get a top 5 pick, we aren't convincing any superstar to come play here next summer. If Kobe came back & took us to the playoffs last season, Melo is probably wearing a Lakers jersey right now.. These guys want to win.

Barnstable likes this.
  14. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    Thats just your own personal opinion. Randle and the lottery pick on rookie contracts,Nick Young signed to a reasonable offer,Kobe on a contract year,Los Angeles...Oh and did I mention wide open books and even more the year after Kobes contract expires? Not as hard as you think, of course that is if the player(s) decides this is the all around best situation for them.

15. LakersN4

LakersN4 - Rookie -

That's more than my personal opinion.. You're kidding yourself if you think any superstar is joining a team that just finished badly enough to get a top 5 pick. The type of FA's you can get as a team that just finished bottom 5 are the Jennings, Josh Smith types that will come here for a big contract because no winning team will give it to them.

16. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

Naw it is your opinion. There is precedence like when Garnett joined the unnameables in 2007-2008 after finishing 2nd to last in the league. If a team is poised to or has the capabilities to turn their team around in a couple years they may attract superstars. Especially a name like the Lakers and the anticipated financial freedom coming with the new CBA.

17. therealdeal

This.

I'm not saying we'll build some new big 3 here around Aldridge and M. Gasol, but surely there's a massive draw here with the Lakers next summer if things break well for us. First of all, we're not going to lose every game we play. We might end up with a top 5 pick, we might not, but this team has shown much better fight even in just the last two games. I think as the season goes on we will continue to show that fight and improve and even if we don't have a great record there'll be a level of respect around the league for the way our team operates.

Moving forward, I'm calling it right now: the Lakers will add at least one good player this season in free agency. By good I mean a guy who has the potential to make an All-Star game. I don't know who that is and I don't know what position he'll play, but the Lakers will make a sell on somebody this summer. They've got a ton of cap space, they'll have at least three solid young players (Randle, Clarkson, and our Houston 1st). Kobe will be in his last year and will hopefully have shown that he's still an elite player at his age throughout this upcoming season.

I just don't buy that we won't add anybody. I don't. We're the Lakers, we have cash, we have opportunities, and we're building towards something. We almost convinced Carmelo to sign here when he didn't even consider us at first. That tells me we have a hell of a pitch. We'll be fine, it's just going to suck this upcoming season.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  18. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

19. LakersN4

LakersN4 - Rookie -

Matthews is currently scoring 18.7 PPG on 53% from the field, 36% from 3.. Last season 16.4 on 44% from the field 39% from 3.. Made 201 3's, good for 5th in the league. He is a scorer & 1 of the best shooters in the league.

Let's not forget they TRADED their young talent for KG, he didn't sign there.. & at the time the word was that he wasn't willing to accept a trade to Boston, then they traded for Ray Allen on draft day & KG changed his tune & accepted the deal to Boston (he had a no trade clause). We're talking about signing free agents that have the free will to go to any team with cap space that wants them.

Boston's best asset at the time was 2nd year big Al Jefferson, our best asset will be 2nd year big Julius Randle (& possibly a top 5 pick at this rate). Will we be able to trade a Randle that just missed his entire rookie season, or that pick for a player on the level of 2007 Ray Allen to make our roster appealing enough for a superstar to want to sign here? Anything is possible. But anyone that thinks Randle (& potentially a top 5 pick) are going to attract superstars to sign here is sadly mistaken. Unless we somehow make the playoffs, the only way Randle can help us attract a superstar is by being traded for a high level player that's able to help a team win NOW.

20. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities