Official: Unsubstantiated Trade Suggestions, Speculation, And Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by Barnstable, Sep 15, 2014.

1. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

revgen likes this.
  2. Chillbongo

Chillbongo - Lakers 6th Man -

Yeah wouldn't be the first time. But it's interesting that every time a player disappears to that degree it's always about a girl, hypothetically

3. SR05

SR05 - Rookie -

paul george doesn't seem very smart

4. LakersN4

LakersN4 - Rookie -

I'm sure I'll get some flack for this, but I think I'd take Asik or Jordan on a cheaper deal over Marc on a max contract.. While Marc is probably the best overall defensive C in the game.. He still only puts up 14/8 & is about to be 30.. Do we have the firepower to use up a max contract on Marc? I really don't think so.. If all we're getting out of our C is a defensive anchor, I'd rather go the cheaper route with Asik/Jordan/Biyombo & have more $ left to bring in another 20+ PPG scorer. Kobe & Swaggy can put up points but that's nowhere near enough firepower for Marc to make us contenders.

5. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

Asik will be 29 years old in 2015, so he's not that much younger than Gasol.

Jordan is already earning 10+ mil a year with the Clips. He'll probably get more if he stays healthy. Not exactly what I'd call "cheap".

True big men who are skilled and can stay relatively healthy are hard to acquire. Gasol is about as good as any we're going to find on the market in 2015. The only other choices are bigs who are skilled but prone to injury.

TIME likes this.
  6. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Marc gives a team far more than just a defensive anchor. He is also skilled at anchoring the offense. He is a true post up big (neither Asik or Jordan are), he has a super high BB IQ, he is as skilled a passer from the post as his brother, and he is a willing passer. There is really no one else like him in the league right now at the 5.

therealdeal and revgen like this.
  7. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Plus with the CAP going up by quite and bit we could eventually have room to add another MAX player down the road even if we give Marc a MAX deal.

8. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Marc is by far the guy to go after. Go after him and if you can't get him, watch Greg Monroe very closely. If he shows some improvement defensively then go for him and don't look back. The guy is a baller, but I know he's not a perfect fit next to Randle.

Monroe is a very good offensive Center. He's a pretty good rebounder. He's not a great defender though. I was a huge proponent of getting him this last summer, but it didn't work out. I'd take a chance on him next summer for sure if we miss out on Marc. He's very young, already a borderline All-Star, and has a lot of room to grow. He might have the 2nd or 3rd best footwork in the League right now among big men (Duncan and the Gasols).

9. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    The Pistons are one of the teams I'm definitely going to try and keep an eye on this year for this very reason. I want to see how much he's going to develop and he has a lot to play for because he decided to take a lot less this year to give himself freedom to choose in this next off-season.

therealdeal likes this.
  10. therealdeal

I'm not saying it's a given for Monroe, but he's the Center that will be available next summer that has the highest upside. I'd prefer Marc, but Monroe is second to me just in terms of potential.

11. jerryr88

jerryr88 - Rookie -

Marc monroe and hibbert should be our main targets

Asik and deandre should be the backup plans

With the cap rising every yr for the next 5 yrs we should be able to "overpay" a center we need and still have flexibility to add a MAX player in a few yrs

12. X

X - Rookie -

-This x1000. While I'm not saying Monroe is the ultimate solution, LA needs a big down low. Of course Marc Gasol would be preferable, but you take what you can at that available time.

13. FreeThePeople

FreeThePeople - Rookie -

Might even be possible to trade for Monroe in the middle of the season. The Pistons still have a jammed front-court, and if they continue to suck, they might look to trade one of their pieces - and Monroe seems the most likely. If we get him via trade, and if we cater to his needs, he would re-sign with us - who doesn't want to be a Laker? I would prefer this because it would begin to establish chemistry for a hopeful championship run next season. Who could we trade for Monroe?

14. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

What do you guys think of Reggie Jackson? Maybe instead of trying to acquire a superstar guard, we could make due with Lin, Jackson as PG rotation. Just a thought.

15. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    I'd like to see Lin play. I think he's good enough to be a starting PG on a good team, but I want to see more of him before I make that a final answer. C and SF is where we should be looking for upgrades.

TIME likes this.
  16. therealdeal

Reggie isn't bad, but we need good not "not bad".

17. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

You're right. I'm jealous of GS and all their damn wings. Offer Houston 1st/Kelly for Barnes. A bit much? I think that's up for debate. Kerr will like the stretch 4 option and they get more size at the 4/5 position with a player who could shoot the ball; he fits the makeup of that team, IMO. They also get a late first rounder.

We'll get Barnes. A promising SF will loads of upside who was a very high first round draft pick. It will also move Wesley to the bench (where he belong) and we could field a more competitive starting 5 and have a more balanced roster.

18. fabulus

fabulus - Rookie -

19. Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes - Rookie -

20. fabulus

fabulus - Rookie -

I'd buy a jersey maybe two.