Official Tyler Ennis Discussion: Overseas

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Feb 23, 2017.

1. CarolinaLakerFan

CarolinaLakerFan - Lakers 6th Man -

Isn't he good friends with Andrew Wiggins?
    :Brows:

2. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

This is a very Mitch type deal. Trade an old guy not playing for a still relatively young player that could get some time to see what he's got. If it's nothing, no harm done, doesn't hurt the tank.

3. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.

Worth a flyer to give him a tryout.

4. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Not a lot to work with out there. I'm not expecting much.

ElginTheGreat and sirronstuff like this.
  5. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

This guy was part of pho deal to milw that netted Phi our 1st rd pick this yr lol

alam1108 likes this.
  6. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

Draft express pre draft scouting report
    NBA Comparison: Jrue Holiday/George Hill
    Strengths: Extremely cerebral and unselfish point guard. Competitive desire to win and very team oriented ... A clever floor general. Makes great decisions, mature, always under control ... Has a great attitude, very coachable, has been described as a sponge ... Quick first step, very good at changing speeds, and uses it well to get by opponents and into the lane ... Good outside shooter, currently shooting 43% from deep on a high volume of threes ... Aggressive defender. Gets a lot of steals playing the passing lanes ... Great vision in transition. Often finds the open man halfway down the court ... Can drive and finish with either hand ... Good rebounding guard ... Has been remarkably careful with the ball for a freshman point guard. Has no more than two turnovers in any of Syracuse's games this season ... Turns it over once every 26 minutes ... Perfectionist. Shows a lot of attention to detail. At 19 years old, Ennis is still a very young prospect with many years of potential growth ahead of him. Being such a cerebral kid, there's reason to believe he will continue to improve well into his mid / late 20s ... 6'5" wingspan helps make him the disruptive defender that he is and his wingspan helps make up for his mediocre height ... Versatile scorer. Can make shots off the dribble or the catch-and-shoot at a high rate ... Very mature overall player for being so young. He shouldn't have too much trouble transitioning to the NBA compared to other players his age ... Very adept running the pick-and-roll ... Also shows solid ability defending the pick and roll ...

Weaknesses: Lacks elite level speed and athleticism. Though he will at times surprise with both ... Ennis gets a lot of steals, but he's not the best or most fundamentally sound perimeter defender ... Playing in Syracuse's system, he will have to learn one on one defensive techniques at the next level ... Has always had a cast of great teammates around him and could be less impressive when playing against defenders on par with his teammates ... He's a decent athlete and his IQ and instincts help him tremendously, but he's ultimately not the most athletic point guard ... Thin frame ...

Notes: Measured 6'2 (in shoes) 180 lbs, with a 6'5 wingspan at the 2012 Deron Williams Skills Academy ... 20th-ranked recruit in his class via ESPN…Leads all Division I freshmen in steals…

Overall: There's not a lot to dislike about this young point guard. He's already a mature distributor, a great finisher, a very deadly outside shooter, and an efficient ball handler. Has the look of a future NBA starter at the PG position. He could ultimately become a lottery pick if he enters this year's draft and he has a great chance to make an impact early on in the pros ... Pretty incredible when you consider Syracuse wasn't sure he would start as a freshman when he first arrived on campus ...

7. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

After watching those clips, I think I like him more than Huertas, which isn't saying much but an upgrade nonetheless.

LaVarBallsDad, trodgers and gcclaker like this.
  8. The Showtime Mamba

The Showtime Mamba - Lakers 6th Man -

I like the deal, though own up to not knowing him previously. :KobeConfused:

To me I optimistically see his upside as a prime Chris Duhon with more penetration and a less developed travel dance.

I think with his youth, he is worth a punt.

Purp n Gold and abeer3 like this.
  9. EddieEddie

EddieEddie - Rookie -

I remember him from Syracuse and that he was a 1st round pick. I don't remember him at all in the NBA. Which generally doesn't bode well but it cost the team nothing really, so no risk involved.

10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i think he's a bit unathletic to not be a three point shooter, but seems somewhat crafty and takes care of the ball. if he can guard anyone ever, he's better than calderon/huertas. if not, he's a taller huertas.

11. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

This is good for us and for Houston. I mean, look - we got a young player that might develop into something, and if he doesn't... it's not like Huertas was playing anyway. There is absolutely no risk for us in this deal.

12. ninjagorn

ninjagorn - Rookie -

Next year Calderon clears one roster spot and Ennis has antoher year remaining at around 2mil. So even if we get 1 of the top PG in the draft, this is a good move for the depth.

13. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

Jordan Hill, Tarik Black, Corey Brewer, Tyler Ennis..is Houston the only team that does business with us?

14. ninjagorn

ninjagorn - Rookie -

Lin and the pick which became Clarkson, and they also signed DH in the offseason, which in retrospect was good.

Cookie, jbiggs, lakerjones and 2 others like this.
  15. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Clarkson was a Wizards pick that we bought.

therealdeal likes this.
  16. EddieEddie

EddieEddie - Rookie -

The pick became Nance.

Cookie, ninjagorn and therealdeal like this.
  17. EddieEddie

EddieEddie - Rookie -

Ennis doesn't have another year remaining. He is a free agent after this season. That 4th year option on his rookie contract was declined.

Ryanwestlombardi and lakerjones like this.
  18. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    So he has a third of a season for a tryout for backup PG. Has a decent upside. Let's see what he makes of it.

tada, Cookie, EddieEddie and 2 others like this.
  19. ninjagorn

ninjagorn - Rookie -

I can live with that.

EddieEddie likes this.
  20. ninjagorn

ninjagorn - Rookie -

On Espn it says 2 years remaining, but okay, he has 25 games to prove, that he is worth the minimum.

EddieEddie likes this.