Official Marvel / MCU Discussion:

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ThizGuy83, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I don't know what you guys are on about, but this is terrible for this consumer. F*** Disney for this, their greed knows no bounds, its unquenchable. I'm not paying for a Disney only steaming service, as it is I only have Netflix and can't afford Hulu and Amazon and miss out on some great shows.

alam1108 likes this.
  2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

It's not about that, it's about the death of the cable companies. Consumers are leaving cable and satellite in droves in favor of an Amazon Fire Stick, Netflix, Hulu, Vue, etc. People are tired of paying for the Oprah channel when they don't have to.

What you're going to get is now specialized content from individual providers. It'll be expensive at first as things balance out, but they'll eventually find a lower medium on price. What you do until then to show them: stream illegally. It's what I do with the Dodgers every day.

3. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

The biggest problem with leaving cable and the hardest part of cord cutting is sports. I'm not talking about not being able to get stuff live as Hulu Live TV (as well as others) have all the sports stations. I'm talking about quality. I have the second highest speed possible with Cox and there is still pixelization around the players in football. Fast pans of the camera cause the stream to break down a bit. Cable? It's smooth as silk.

But I'm with Weezy as it pertains to the Disney streaming service. For me, it won't effect me much as I typically buy Marvel and Star Wars films on Blu Ray, but if they start releasing shows (like a live action Star Wars show or something) I may get put in a bind. I could see a scenario where in the future I sign up for the different streaming services at different times depending on when something is on. I sign up to HBO Now for a 2 month span to watch Westworld. Sign up for Starz for a month for Ash vs. The Evil Dead. Sign up for Disney for a Star Wars or Marvel show. I'll just hop around from service to service. Amazon will be the only one I stick with year round because of the free shipping.

4. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Japanese Thor trailer is sweet

alam1108 likes this.
  5. therealdeal

I'm already on episode 6 of the Defenders and I absolutely love it.

alam1108 likes this.
  6. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Great to hear, looking forward to it this weekend.

7. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

I watched 2 episodes of Defenders. Loved every element except Danny Rand (Iron Fist) is a noticeably terrible actor in comparison with the rest of the characters. It took me out of the show watching him acting when everyone else is solid.

alam1108 likes this.
  8. Savory Griddles

Really? I didn't think his acting was really the problem in Iron Fist. I mean, he was Iron Fist and couldn't fight...so that's an issue. But his acting was pretty good.

9. Barnstable

In Defenders he's having separate scenes from the rest of them at the beginning (first few episodes). It's noticeable. Very noticeable.

They jump from one Defender's story to another as they kind of all draw together so you can really compare how well the actor that plays Jessica Jones can act compared to Danny Rand, for instance.

10. therealdeal

I thought Danny was fantastic personally. His character is done so much better justice in this show. The writing is so much better for him (and Luke Cage actually). I thought the weakest link in Defenders so far was clearly Jessica actually. I also think of the characters' motivations in the show, hers are the weakest. But Iron Fist in this show is still way, way better than Iron Fist in his own show. He's got more personality, his motivations make sense. I didn't want to believe all the rumors about Scott Buck, but damn did he mail it in with Iron Fist. The show isn't the worst thing on television, but you know it's a bad sign when the best part of the show is supporting characters (Ward and Harold Meachum) and not the protagonist.

I've finished the series by the way. Blew off work all day for it. :D

I have very few complaints, but when a couple others have reached the end I'll explain one that made me come out of the show altogether.
    They used zero CGI on the explosion :D It was horrible! It looked like a high school production of an explosion and made zero sense.

11. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

12. Barnstable

No no, I'm not talking about the writing. I think the writing for Danny is waaaay better than Iron Fist. I'm talking about his acting. It's not as noticeable when he's with the other defenders because they can all carry scenes, but when he was supposed to carry the scenes, it's laughable because hes just not as good of an actor. Think of the scene where he goes into the board room to confront Alexandria where he's giving his speech about who he is. He's terrible IMO.

13. therealdeal

Eh I think he's about the same as anyone besides Daredevil or maybe Jessica Jones. A lot of the ancillary characters are pretty terrible. I think Mike Colter struggles at times as the lead. I notice it a lot when the script isn't something he personally is comfortable with, as in it's something he wouldn't say himself. I hear you though, Finn isn't great, but it doesn't necessarily take me out of the show or anything.

14. Savory Griddles

I watched that scene. I thought he did a good job. I think he was trying to come off as confident, but knew he had no idea what he was doing and all these people were not scared of him. I felt his nervousness seeping through the false bravado. I actually though it was one of his better more nuanced scenes...granted I was reading the emotions and setting of that scene correctly.

15. Barnstable

Yeah, I didnt see it that way at all. If another actor did that, it might have looked that way to me, but to me, it was the same note he always strikes. Over acting to the point it's not believable.

16. Savory Griddles

Im starting to not like Defenders. 5 episodss in and its actually really blah. Sigourney Weaver was awful casting. Im not buying her in this role at all.

17. therealdeal

First the game of thrones thread and now this one?? You guys are all critics now! :D

Weaver just seems like she wasn't given enough good writing. Her character is vanilla as far as villains go and I'm not sure Weaver buys in enough.

I still like the show though.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  18. Savory Griddles

Well, I mean there are problems. Jessica Jones character seems like she has to remind everyone in every scene that she likes to do things on her own and she's only here because she has to be. The capturing of White Hat was lazy. They essentially show White Hat almost toying with Luke Cage, then Cage gets hit by a truck...but we skip forward and somehow Cage not only shook off the collision but turned around and captured White Hat. I still have 3 episodes left, but so far, I'm not impressed. The NEtflix universe has been slowly losing steam. It feels like each season has been worse than the previous if you were to just call all of them 1 show. DD1, JJ, DD2, Cage, IF is pretty much the order I put them in.

alam1108 likes this.
  19. Savory Griddles

Finished The Defenders.

This might be where I check out of the Netflix MCU. The last couple episodes felt like fighting for fighting's sake. The underground scene was difficult to even make out who was punching who. Weaver was horribly cast. For someone who was supposed to be centuries old, she came off as dumb and slightly naive. It's like, "She's listening to classical music! That makes her smart and sophisticated." Such an overused trope of Hollywood to establish the class and intellect of an individual. No one dies except for a dude that is 90 years old and kind of a pain in the a** of the Defenders anyway (Stick). So the entire hand is invading NYC and they are "all in" on a plan, but not even one of the friends of the Defenders dies? They are involved in the collapse of a skyscraper and none of them face any legal backlash. Foggy is that good of a lawyer?

This corner of the MCU started off as a gritty, street-level world. It's now just sort of mediocre plots with Arrowverse level fighting scenes. The second half of Luke Cage was terrible. Iron Fist was extremely mediocre throughout, and now the big Avengers team-up they have been building towards was about as exciting crossover weak in the Arrowverse.

And Realdeal, I'm not in a super critical mood on shows right now. :D I actually am watching Silicon Valley and enjoying it. I started Ozark and I am very intrigued. But Defenders and to a little extent Game of Thrones these last couple episodes (which I still really enjoyed) have had major problems.

20. therealdeal