Official Marvel / MCU Discussion:

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ThizGuy83, Feb 9, 2015.

1. ThizGuy83

ThizGuy83 - Rookie -

Medical healthcare professional
    Barnstable likes this.
  2. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Finally.

3. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Now we are talking... Spidey belongs in the MCU, he is the Marvel equivalent of Superman/Batman in terms of being an ICON which was taken over by Iron Man by default in the movies.

4. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

About freakin time :D Even though im getting older, i could watch a new super hero movie every 6 months ;).

sirronstuff likes this.
  5. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Great news and long overdo. Unfortunately Sony still keeps creative control and they have a long history of intervening. So while I'm excited for him to be in the Civil War and Infinity Wars, I'm not sold on the next spidey stand alone being significantly better in any area the others have gotten wrong and it looks like we'll have a new actor playing him yet again.

6. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Yeah that's a huge problem for me. I think Sony's control will be overstated somewhat because I think two things will happen: 1. Disney's overwhelming influence over this movie will have Sony Execs' heads swimming and 2. Because of the immense pressure of working within Marvel's scope, the movies will improve.

Basically I see Spidey being a lynch-pin in tying the Marvel Universe together. THAT is why Marvel allowed this to happen. Spidey will be able to see Daredevil, Iron-Man, the Agents of Shield all in one series and THAT is what has made Spider-Man so successful in the comic book universe. The only reason Sony agreed to this is the only reason Marvel needed him so badly: the opportunity for cameos is just so immensely strong.

Once Marvel starts rolling with what Spider-Man can bring, Sony execs will get washed away in the sheer volume needed to make this work. Marvel has their hands in every aspect of every film they release. Every detail needs to fit into the grand scheme of what they're trying to accomplish which is a diverse cinematic universe that is both dependent on each film released AND can stand as an individual unit. Now obviously since Sony still owns the rights, the individual movies might not be up to the Marvel level tone that's been set, but they'll certainly improve over the last two films. The previous execs have so thoroughly ruined their own films that I think they'll be incredibly intimidated by Marvel's power within their own franchises. I see the first Spider-Man film being successful because I think it'll have more of Marvel's fingerprints on it. Once they've set a tone for the franchise, we'll see if Sony can keep it up.

Another thing to keep in mind: Sinister Six is still in production... I think Marvel also used this because Spider-Man has some GREAT villains that can and should be included in the universe. The previous incarnation of the Sinister Six movie looked, sounded, and smelled terrible. Will Marvel get their hands in there too? Undoubtedly.

I can't wait to see the Dark Avengers pop up. I can't wait to see Spider-Man's iconic reveal in front of the world. It'll be very, very interesting to see what they do with Spider-Man leading up to Civil War now.

7. therealdeal

Next up: Fox.

8. ThizGuy83

ThizGuy83 - Rookie -

Medical healthcare professional
    it all depends how fantastic four does at the box office... if its not up to par... there might be some behind closed door meetings like with spider man... and if it wasn't for sony being hacked and leaking out the emails... nobody would of even known about disney and sony meetings

therealdeal likes this.
  9. therealdeal

From what I've seen (from the hacks) this conversation was dead up until last month. They'd had long conversations about it, but Marvel wouldn't give up creative control.

I wonder what exactly changed. There's got to be more going on behind the scenes than we've been told. I can't imagine Disney doesn't have 51% of the control creatively. I just don't think it's in them to give up that kind of power.

10. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

^ Unless they're confident enough in their product and are as confident in Sony being nothing more than a blubbering F'up that can't do much of anything right anymore (and the whole world saw as much when their dirty laundry got leaked). A) Sony will come running to them to save what aspects of Spidey they're currently running. I can't imagine Marvel reading over the ideas of Sinister Six and not going [​IMG]

B) They wait until Sony blows it again and they're are there with a checkbook. Sony is reduced to a significant minority share, but get to sit at home and collect a check without taking loss after loss on their properties. Since Marvel/Disney is now invested I don't think they'd let it get to B because that hurts their product at the end of the day, but I could see a floundering production from Sony get underway yet again and then Marvel sends in writers/new director to take over before it's too late.

11. therealdeal

Honestly I could see Sony just in a complete submissive mode, but making sure their products and maybe a few of their ideas get on the table. On another site someone wrote something to the effect of: if Sony was confident in their ability to make a Spider-Man movie, this deal wouldn't exist. Therefore they're likely to rely heavily on Marvel's input to make even their "solo" movies better. Relying on Marvel for that means more creative control to Marvel by default.

Maybe the names are attached on Sony's part mostly for show at this point. We all know Feige and Marvel would never take this deal if they thought it'd sully their names and products. There's no way Disney risks part of their investment for Sony if they don't have the ability to overrule Sony on some of their concepts.

The way I see it, Marvel will help kick-start Spidey with at least one or two cameos/roles in upcoming Marvel films. Obviously one of those is going to be Captain America: Civil War. I get the feeling that the post-credit scene for Avengers could very well be a radioactive spider biting a certain someone's hand... Once Marvel gets Spider-Man started, Sony gets to foot most of the bill on a solo Spider-Man film. If it's not quite up to par, Marvel gets to say "hey that's their property". If it's a home run, Marvel gets all the credit.

Disney is too smart with their money to screw this one up.

12. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

I think the key term there is "Final" which in my head means that Marvel comes to Sony with there ideas and then Amy Pascal, who is replacing Ari Avad, gets to deliver the final stamp on it. If she is smart she will get as heavily involved in Marvels creative process and let them guide all the movies from here on out.

I would also add that they should ditch Peter Parker sooner then later and introduce Mile Morales. I love Peter in the comics, but he is been horrific on film. I doubt that will ever happen though as Peter Parker is such a huge commodity.

13. therealdeal

Can't do it so soon, but I agree Miles Morales will be fun to watch on film. I don't want to lose 40 or 50 years of Spider-Man for a fad. Not when Marvel has spent so long building their tent-pole franchises around their iconic characters.

I'd even go so far as to have Miles involved in whatever Peter Parker film they end up doing. I want him to be part of the Marvel Universe. I just don't want to miss out on the opportunity to see Spider-Man with all the iconic heroes from my childhood represented on-screen as I remember them.

14. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Spidey is my fave superhero. In particular, Peter Parker. That's the Spiderman I grew up with, and it's the one that made me love comics.

TIME likes this.
  15. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

I think if Sony is smart they will get in on the whole spiderverse thing sooner than later. You could have Peter parker, miles, silk, and the hugely popular spidergwen as you major players. Add in some marvel controller venom, oc, etc and they could have a very lucrative mini verse inside the greater MCU.

therealdeal likes this.
  16. therealdeal

Definitely there's some richness in the Spider-Man comics that hasn't been delved into yet and I think it's because Sony was either too incompetent or too nervous to try. The Venom series is great IF YOU DO IT RIGHT. The Clone Series is fun IF YOU DO IT RIGHT etc.

Another cool thing this does is open up the MCU to some of the great Spider-Man villains. Ignoring the dumb representation of the Rhino in the last movie he's an awesome bad guy. Mysterio, Sand-Man, Scorpion, Kraven, Carnage, Vulture, and Electro are all a ton of fun.

17. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Peter Parker is Spiderman. I haven't read the Ultimates version but I don't think movie goers would go for a Spiderman created in 2011. To many questions that the studio can't get away with.

18. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

I think the issue is this, are movie goers going to line up for a third reboot of Spiderman? Do you really want to see uncle Ben get shot down a third time with yet another great power = great responsibility scene? Something has to give and it has to get fresh quick as this redundancy is at least part of the reason Spiderman has struggled. Morales and the newly born spiderverse may not be the simple solution, but it sure is better in my mind than watching more spider bites, more discovering green goblin, more beating of a dead horse.

19. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

They can't do a third true reboot or third origin story. Have a scene or two, a couple flashbacks, and a discussion covering the past. Everyone who will go see through movie knows the origin, no need to spend $150m+ on it and waste two hours of our lives. That's the reason they're not doing a third hulk incarnation and the reason the new Batman film will feature Ben as an old Bruce Wayne.

Here's a couple good reads. First one addresses the likely outcome to pending questions and concerns
    http://www.slashfilm.com/spiderman-questions-answered/

Next is details of the deal (who gets what...very surprising) and a tidbit on what to expect for future films and from Peter Parker
    http://www.slashfilm.com/spider-man-sony-marvel-deal-details/

I was hoping he wouldn't be pushed back to HS age again. That's going to make his fit with the marvel characters all the more difficult...that may very well be the point and they can make it work. Old guys being frustrated from working with a kid (insert joke of Cap's age vs. Parker's). But I was hoping to be past the school age.

Kingsama likes this.
  20. therealdeal

I don't want to see a reboot, but it doesn't have to be that really. We can skip the spider bite. We can skip the "whoa look at what I can do suddenly!". We can skip the bullying and the kids looking down on the nerdy kid.

We can go straight to a sophomore/junior in high school that fights petty crime at night in a cheap costume. One of my favorite ideas so far has been that he's a young kid who fights crime because he feels like it's the right thing to do but also he wants to escape from his life in school which was always the main attraction of Spider-Man's character.

I definitely don't want the Goblin back. My favorite idea so far is that he runs into a bank robbery and stops it. It just so happens that Captain America is in there too and sees the kid flying around. He flags him down and talks to him. The kid is a smart alec but reveres Captain America for his character and moral compass. Cap tells him to come around some time to Avengers tower. Turns out the robbery was set-up by Kingpin, now we have a Spider-Man vs. Kingpin story which should also tie in to the Marvel Netflix series with Daredevil.

What do you guys think?

Barnstable and Kingsama like this.