Official Marvel / MCU Discussion:

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ThizGuy83, Feb 9, 2015.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Her development at the very end made no sense whatsoever, but definitely Ward and Harold were great.

I enjoyed Colleen. I liked her vibe and the actress was dedicated to the role. I think she's got a lot of room to grow.

The ending just sort of felt like a primer for Defenders or Iron Fist 2. It didn't feel like a good wrap up to the story to me at all.

alam1108 and Savory Griddles like this.
  2. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I hadn't really thought about that. Joy was really odd. She went from being the one person in that family with a soul at the beginning of the show to where the end in the last two episodes she basically was like, "I am going to be a bad guy now."

alam1108 likes this.
  3. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

What goes unsaid a lot has been Night Nurse. She's played a decent size character in all the series and she kills it every time. She's gotten better and better as the series have gone on, she really played the humanizing role for Danny.

4. therealdeal

The only thing I didn't like was now she can go hand-to-hand with ninjas? How is that?

Savory Griddles likes this.
  5. Savory Griddles

I've learned to let go of who wins in fights at this point. My huge pet peeve of watching 110 pound women jab a 230 pound dude made of solid muscle...and send them flying across the room has sort of just become reluctant acceptance. Even someone trained like Colleen should not have been able to take a couple of those dudes in the cage fight. I understand suspending disbelief and all, but you still have to follow the rules of the universe that are still supposedly intact. WW or Captain Marvel obliterating some dude? No problem. Some nurse that has a couple sparring sessions under her belt taking on highly trained ninjas? Yeah. Lazy writing where they needed a convenient way to bring in another fighter and not take the time to develop a new character (or pay a new actor).

6. therealdeal

Yeah I think there's ways to make female fighting very authentic and cool. I'm interested in that Atomic Blonde movie for that reason. Some of what they do just doesn't make sense. It really ticked me off seeing her headbutt a punch. It's fun choreography, but it's just not realistic. I thought what they did with Elektra in Daredevil was generally fine.

Oh and it'd be fun to see Jessica Jones hit someone who is as strong as she is. It'd give the opportunity to explore her heart a little bit.

7. Savory Griddles

That was ridiculous. :Laugh:

8. therealdeal

I get that it "looked cool" but I'd rather see actual effort in the choreography. Then again the entire show was on the disappointing end of choreography. It wasn't until late in the show you got some actual cool choreography and even then it wasn't as good as it could be.

Hopefully the second season they get the choreographers from Into the Badlands and a better showrunner.

9. Savory Griddles

You get a like for mentioning Into the Badlands.

therealdeal likes this.
  10. therealdeal

To be honest I don't love the show, but the action is a tone setter for television fight scenes.

TIME likes this.
  11. therealdeal

12. alam1108

I know nothing about these characters and it makes me excited.

13. Savory Griddles

You're right. The show itself is whatever in terms of plot and characters. But the action is top notch.

TIME likes this.
  14. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Have you guys seen the behind the scenes mini-episode that shows how the entire cast went to a training camp together including both the stunt fighters and the actors? They really dedicated themselves to producing high level fight scenes.

15. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Don't watch this until you'e seen all of Legion, season 1

This is a fantastic breakdown of a ton of symbolism, and story line details I never caught the first time while watching Legion. I know I'll end up re-watching the whole season (probably soon), because there's so much detail that I missed or didn't understand at the time:

If you haven't watched Legion yet, you're missing out on the best new show of the year (Yes, it beats West World IMO)

Savory Griddles and TIME like this.
  16. alam1108

Can't wait.

17. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

Finally started Iron Fist... It's not as terrible as many say, but it ain't very good either. They missed the mark on several key things....I may vent about it later in this thread

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

18. therealdeal

I'm very curious your opinion Sama on Iron Fist. It had a lot of problems, but the character development of certain people in the show is fantastic.

19. therealdeal

I'm not going to lie... this was one of my favorite trailers in a while. Gave you enough to taste what it'll be, but didn't give you the plot. Looks like they got Danny's fighting a little more up to par. I love the interactions I've seen so far just in that little clip between the heroes.

The only problem I'm seeing right off the bat... how are the Avengers not catching wind of any of this? I suppose they can say "there's kind of an Infinity War happening"... Nevermind actually. That's a great excuse. They've got a lot on their plates right now. :D

20. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

I am just about half way through the show and there are some good things about it, I do enjoy some of the Characters, I like the new story elements, but its super slow(the first 4 episodes could have been 1)... But aside from all of that, I think there are some bigger issues at play.

1. The feel is all wrong. Both in how Danny is Portrayed and just a general feel of the show. It feels like they are trying to recreate DD on many levels. But the issues is that Danny is a very different character than MM. MM is wrestling with deep issues, religious and otherwise. MM is worried about why he does what he does. Danny isn't. Danny is hurting no doubt, both about his loss AND because of the utter shock it would be to now be in NY after living in a 6x6 room. He is naïve, he is in some ways still 9, he is wrestling with stuff sure, but the character is more aloof than MM. For me the opening scene of OutKast works great, and there are some scenes, one in the dojo, where he is listening to Hip Hop doing a kata. Those scenes work. Him running around shoeless, enamored with technology, and spouting buddist quotes while fighting back heart ache works. Him brooding with dark music and dark visuals doesn't. I think the show should have been more colorful and the score soundtrack much more lively with a blend of hip hop or EDM. About the second episode in I thought "Why didn't they just hire RZA to do the music?" That classic hip hop meets Kung Fu sound would have changed the whole feel of the show. A better sound track with brighter colors and less darkness would have made a huge difference to me. There are points where they really try to make it feel like a old school kungfu flick, but they miss the maker. Old Kung Fu films are not gritty, dark, etc. They are bright. Much like LC felt like a exploitation film, I wish this felt like an ode to a kungfu film. For instance Kill Bill captures that feel wonderfully and they could have maintained the feel without the loss of tone all at the same time.

2. The Choreography is sloppy. At one point Colleen arm bars someone is and a full 6 inches plus off his body. There are times where it really feels like dress rehersal. From what I have read where DD took months of prep to film and with this there might be mere hours to practice, and it shows. They had a chance to do some really cool choreography in an ode to Kung Fu. Maybe even done some wire work while bringing in the same type of fights we see in the Raid or Tony Jaa. Instead it feels like watching corn ball 80s/90s movies. Again Look at Kill Bill. Awesome Kung Fu inspired choreography... this is sad.

3. I feel like Finn does a good job with what he was given. But he does not look like he spent the last 15 yrs training, and some of the writing is just groan worthy. For me the character should have been more naïve, more aloof, and more about struggling to let go of grief than DD part two.

I am still gonna watch it, but I think it should have been much better.

Savory Griddles and therealdeal like this.