Official Marvel / MCU Discussion:

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ThizGuy83, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I can agree in theory to most of that. I still think there are certain heroes the public would really reject having their race changed. Batman and Superman being the main two. I think its all moot because I doubt Marvel or Sony want to take the chance on freaking Spiderman...almost unarguably one of the top 3 superheroes there are. Take a chance on someone who does not have 5 potential billion dollar films in him. No one is going to not see Spiderman if he's white. There will be knuckleheads that boycott it if they make Spiderman black, asian, etc. As far as John Stewart and Fury, they were both lesser known characters. Important, but lesser known. Most people had never heard of Nick Fury until the end of Iron Man One. Most people aren't aware there are multiple Green Lanterns other than Hal Jordan.

I'm still on the fence about Captain Marvel and it's potential for success. I know a lot of people say the right thing when it comes to female action stars, but outside of Jolie and Tomb Raider 1 (not 2), they do have a pretty poor track record in the box office. Weaver in Aliens and Hamilton in Terminator weren't really successful because of them as much as killer robots and crazy, evil aliens. I mean, Hunger Games is kind of an action movie, but she is much more of a political symbol than an actual butt-kicking heroine. Kill Bill? I guess, but that's Tarantino who can make anything work. I could be totally wrong, but female led action movies do not have a good track record.

(Tangent) I readily admit, very little ticks me off more than watching some stick of a actress punch a 200 pound muscle bound man in the face and he drops like a rock. It's ridiculous. Granted, that doesn't apply to a Superhero movie as they have powers, but its one thing to suspend disbelief and allow for the supernatural. But the fact that it IS supernatural by its very nature means the rest of the world needs to be grounded in reality.

2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I'm with you on changing the ethnicity of the character. If nothing else you're right that they could lose sales as people boycott an "ethnic Spider-Man" so I think maybe they'll just stay white. I'm fine with that.

I think Captain Marvel has the potential to be the first breakthrough in that area. You get a bad*** actress who has some swagger to her and that character has the ability to embody that on camera and you can potentially have an awesome movie with a heroine lead. I'm not saying get her, but represent the Rhonda Rousey attitude and THAT is Captain Marvel. Get someone who can choreograph a woman fighting and maybe we're in business. I agree with you about seeing women who are skinny that beat the hell out of people with sheer power. That's not believable.

3. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Writer/director chosen for Spidey and a lot of details on what's in store for the franchise:

http://www.slashfilm.com/drew-goddard-spider-man-movie/#more-282815

-Finally Avi Arad is out of the process.
    -Thankfully they scrapped that awful idea of a Sinister Six movie they had. Great idea, but the building blocks they were using were all wrong. Revisit it in 5 years or so.
    -Hip-hip-hurray for skipping the origin story.
    -Iron Man vs. Spidey in the first one...that's very interesting. Not sure having RDJ coming into these other franchises and stealing all the spotlight and thunder is good for Cap or for Spidey. Entertaining as hell? Abso-freaking-lutely, but for the individual franchises themselves...I'm not sure.

4. therealdeal

I doubt the "auditioning for the Avengers" bit, that sounds weird to me...

But I'm alright with the Goddard pick and I'm alright with "Spectacular Spider-Man" too. If they go the Spider-Man vs. Iron Man bit... I'm alright with it. I don't like Iron Man as a main protagonist and does that mean Iron Man ISN'T part of the Avengers any more? He gets kicked out? Too many moving parts right now to make that claim I think.

Still though. Fun title, decent director choice.

[​IMG]

Kingsama likes this.
  5. Savory Griddles

Well, if Carnage was introduced to the universe, that would turn things real dark, REAL fast.

6. therealdeal

I wish they'd do it man. Carnage is such an epically cool villain.

7. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

therealdeal likes this.
  8. therealdeal

Yeah I hear they're making their own movie with Sony studios and that they'll also have a hand in Spectacular Spider-Man. I'm 100% on board with that. They did an amazing job with Winter Soldier. I think they'll knock a Spidey movie out of the park.

9. Savory Griddles

Carnage is almost so big, bad and powerful, he could be an Avengers villain. They might save him for the Avengers movie AFTER Infinity Wars. Introduce him in a Spiderman standalone so Sony gets to rake in some money, but have him fully come into his powers in Avengers 5.

Totally hypothesizing at this point.

10. therealdeal

I think the only way to Carnage justice is to go really dark and I just don't see them doing it. Disney/Marvel won't want to jeopardize losing a kiddie market with their blockbusters by introducing a terrifying villain like Carnage.

Honestly if Venom is done right he should be pretty scary. Carnage though is a super-powered serial killer/sociopath. I mean he's really scary.

11. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Depending on the budget, I could see Carnage being more successful in the Marvel Netflix universe.

therealdeal likes this.
  12. therealdeal

Another "villain" that's just a natural fit for the Netflix series: Punisher. I think he can be done fair justice with TV-MA.

JSM likes this.
  13. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Agreed. I'd like to see Thomas Jane back in the role too. Even though the first one had its silly moments and wasn't dark enough, I liked what he brought to the character. He's shown he's fine with doing tv and has a clear love for the character (he worked out for a year-18 months while they were figuring out what to do with the franchise before they went a different direction and churned out whatever you'd call that 2nd one...I'd say trash, but that's being far too kind). Adi Shankar, the guy that put out that Power Rangers short, did one awhile back for the Punisher with Thomas Jane that I stumbled upon today when looking for his new James Bond one that released/got taken down today.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
    therealdeal and TIME like this.
  14. Savory Griddles

I think we'll see if Marvel is willing to go Carnage Dark after Ultron. It looks noticeably darker than any Marvel film preceding it.

JSM - Carnage couldn't be done on Netflix. No way they'd have the budget for him. He'd have to be ALL CGI.

therealdeal likes this.
  15. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

I wouldn't say that, Netflix and marvel both have money for days. Both are willing to try creative, groundbreaking things. If the early shows like daredevil and a few future ones draw enough of an interest, I wouldn't rule it out. Likely? No. But to get a proper incarnation, they're the only medium that will give you anything other than family friendly/cookie cutter.

therealdeal likes this.
  16. therealdeal

I honestly loved Jane's Punisher. I thought the movie was solid, the story was great, Jane's Punisher was a little more emotional but isn't that the point? His stuff was still fresh in his mind. Given another movie you can push him to be more violent and more twisted. I would have loved for him to retake that role, but I believe he's said he doesn't want to anymore.

Marvel is doing right by their fans and pushing the Netflix series so that they are much grittier than everything else we've seen. TV-MA isn't perfect, but there's plenty of violent shows that TV-MA pulls of just fine. Walking Dead works for instance. Carnage's best shot would be in that context I think... He needs to murder people, there needs to be blood, and he needs to do it in awful, weird ways. That can't be done in a family friendly movie.

17. Savory Griddles

I have a feeling we WILL see Carnage on screen, but not the Carnage we know and love.

18. therealdeal

That's entirely possible. Remember Venom from Spider-man 3?

19. Savory Griddles

I'm sorry. I don't know what you are talking about. There was a Spiderman 3? Was it released only in Asia? I've heard rumors about this film, as well as some Matrix sequels?

therealdeal likes this.
  20. therealdeal

You'd also must not have heard of Jurassic Park 3? What about Taken 2 and 3?