Official Marvel / MCU Discussion:

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ThizGuy83, Feb 9, 2015.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

2. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Cable looks freaking great.

Also digging JJ too!

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  3. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I love the first Deadpool so much. Was a little worried when Tim Miller left, but it looks like more of the same quality stuff and laughs.

4. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Looks like they got a bigger budget this time too. Not sure if it's a good or bad thing because I remember them saying the small budget on the first one forced them to get creative and they think it made the film better.

5. therealdeal

Yeah I'm still cautiously optimistic but it feels different already in that short trailer.

6. therealdeal

7. Savory Griddles

I would still love to know if this is part of the MCU. First it isn't, then it is, then it isn't again, but then Tom Holland is supposedly making an appearance. I wonder if Marvel Studios is simply waiting until they see how it's accepted. If everyone likes it, then it's part of the MCU?

8. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

I think a lot of the silence that we are getting from Disney, Fox, and Sony is because of the pending Disney/Fox deal. Like whether venom is in our out? MCU's future phases? etc etc. I bet when the dust settles from the deal and we see how these new properties do a lot more info is going to come out.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  9. therealdeal

I bet it's loosely connected, but this trailer did nothing for me.

How do you tease Venom without showing a teaser of Venom?

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  10. alam1108

It's like the original Jaws trailer not showing the shark.

I'll hold out judgment until we see actual Venom. I think it happens during the first official trailer.

11. therealdeal

It's just underwhelming is all. The trailer was completely generic. If you weren't a comic fan, would you know anything about who this is?

I'm not saying it's a bad movie, but I need to be won over at this point.

Kingsama and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.
  12. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

I think that trailer emphasizes what makes Marvel king of the comic book box office. At this point each of their movies have different feels. Thor 3 was a comedy, Ant Man a heist movie, Cap 2 a political thriller, GotG a warm hearted nostalgic romp 80s style, and so fourth. Marvel is very intentional about crafting their movies this way so that when you watch them each one seems fresh. Then they go the extra step to communicate the tone of each film in the trailer w/o giving away everything story wise. You get just enough to wet the whistle w/o spoiling the story arch. They even take deliberate steps in the trailers to misdirect the viewer like leaving characters out of scenes or changing details, ie Caps gloves are different in the first IW trailer then they are in the latest or in the A2 trailer vision and the twins are not in the ultron robots battle scene and are in the film.

Sony on the other hand sucks at trailers. Look at the Homecoming trailers. You basically knew the whole plot just from watching them. Or for instance this trailer. If i didn't know the comic book story I would have no clue as to what this movie is about and even though i know the story, I still can't tell you what is going on with the film in terms of story, tone, etc. It feels like a cobbled together "gritty" mess. Now the movie might turn out good or even great, but that trailer makes me less interested in seeing it not more. Unlike the Solo trailer which makes me kinda interested in a movie that I previously had no desire to see.

13. alam1108

Finished the first season of The Gifted. It worked well as a standalone XMen story that sort of tied in with the bigger XMen universe (did that make any sense?). It's hard to pinpoint exactly where it sits within the timeline of the other movies, which are already confusing enough, but they do reference the bigger named mutants.

14. Savory Griddles

I saw Black Panther.

I liked it. It was real good, but falls short of being great.

Good:

Acting was strong across the board.
    The visuals, especially those dealing with the African culture were beautiful.
    The action sequences (while really being limited for a Marvel movie) were crazy, fast paced.
    There wasn't an overt SJW message that overtook the film. There were comments, but it was subtle and accurate.

Bad:

I realize this is a comic book movie and we are living in a universe that contains Iron Man, the Hulk, etc., but the technological advancements made by the Wakandans were over the top at times. As far as we know Vibranium is just a really strong, durable metal. In this movie it sort of intimated that the metal is not only strong, but holds properties that are downright magical. Iron Man's suit is rdiculous, but you can kind of see it happening in the distant future. Some of the stuff that the Wakandans were accomplishing don't even make sense.

This is the final movie leading into Infinity War and there was essentially ZERO to link it with the overall MCU other than the fact that his Dad died in Civil war and that's why he is now being crowned King.

Overall I give it a 7.5 out of 10. It's better than Ragnorok, but probably doesn't make my top 10 MCU movies.

TIME likes this.
  15. therealdeal

Just got out and I loved Black Panther. I want to see it again so that I can really dig into the different parts of it. There's so much to unravel and appreciate. It wasn't perfect and I'll give my criticisms too, but good Lord is it a great movie for so many reasons.

16. therealdeal

Pros:
    1) Visually stunning. The production design and quality was out of this world. It's going to look like something you probably haven't seen before. The designs were based off of African culture in an incredible way.

2) The story was strong. It's something I think many African-Americans will be able to relate to. Hell a lot of people from colonized countries will relate to some of the themes. However, it's not overtly political in a way that takes you out of the film and makes it any less enjoyable.

3) Killmonger is one of the best villains Marvel has ever had. Interesting, deadly, intimidating, and most of all: deep. He isn't just there to spoil things, he's got his own perfectly legitimate motivations. In the end, I genuinely wonder if he's an actual villain despite how violent he is.

4) Representation. Some people might not like this as a pro, but this movie is well represented from all sectors. If you're African, you have role models. If you're African American, you have role models. If you're white, Everett Ross is a solid role model as well. The representation aspect is something I think many people sort of take for granted, but it's enlightening to see it and see it in a good movie.

5) Acting was great. The accents were iffy at times, but every character felt real and vibrant. Boseman hits his stride about half-way through the film and just kills it the rest of the way. Any shot of him in the spirit realm is gorgeous. The women are great. Serkis and Freeman are solid. Michael B. Jordan has a terrific part.

6) Cinematography is just amazing. It's a gorgeous movie. In fact I sometimes found it distracting and would miss lines or moments in the movie while I'm thirstily drinking in the visuals.

Cons:

1) CGI was a bit spotty in some areas. I didn't like the rhinos. I thought the third act fell into a trap and got a little too big. The wider world, the cities, all of that are great. It's in specific areas, but it's not really enough for me to feel like it ruins the movie.

2) Action was a little underwhelming. Any fight in the ritual pool were great and heartfelt, but anything outside of that area tended to be a little underwhelming. I would have liked a little more practicality and ingenuity fighting wise. I did like Panther's style though.

After one viewing I give it an 8.5/10 but I want to see it again to see if a second viewing might give me more of the intimate connection with the themes.

One thing that is not spoiler-y that I love is Shuri's role. She's a scientist of the highest order to rival Tony Stark and she's a kid. Seeing an African woman as maybe the smartest person in the world? There's something powerful about it.

I will watch this movie again, probably this weekend.

TIME, alam1108 and Barnstable like this.
  17. therealdeal

I loved the design of the technology. It was amazing, genuine, and interesting. The sandy projections are magnetic based and controlled by electronic stimuli to project what they need it to. It's not too dissimilar from trains they use in the mines.

I don't know if that's true, I just made that up, but it's close enough that I believe it.

But the way it looks is just fascinating. I loved the look and feel of it.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  18. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Hopefully going tomorrow. I can’t wait

therealdeal likes this.
  19. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Saw BP last night. I don’t have time to go into detail about it, but I rank it in my top 5 marvel movies of all time (actually maybe 4th after Avengers 1, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Winter Soldier), but it’s exact position would have to come from multiple viewings.

9/10 from me

TIME, alam1108 and therealdeal like this.
  20. Savory Griddles

Haha. It did sound good.

therealdeal likes this.