Official Marvel / MCU Discussion:

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ThizGuy83, Feb 9, 2015.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

It just flows well as a story like DD1 did. There's a lot of talking but it all serves the narrative. It all drives the story. I find the subject matter more interesting, topical, and important than DD so that's what separates the two in my mind.

alam1108 likes this.
  2. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    I'm 2 episodes in and so far so good. Can't wait to watch the rest but my wife keeps holding me back :D

therealdeal likes this.
  3. therealdeal

It's strange: the criticisms for this show are completely ranging and I think most of them miss the target (half-way pun intended).

I've read it's too violent. I've read there's too much exposition and not enough action. I've read it's a gun-nut show. I've read it's too liberal. I've read it's too soon to have a show like this after so many brutal, horrific shootings in the US.

My argument is this is a show we desperately need. It's nuanced, it delves into veteran life, it's a gray area. Not everything is an easy answer and this is a topic most people won't touch in the US. The way we treat our veterans is shameful. Hopefully this show helps shed some perspective on that.

4. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I am not finished with it yet, but thus far I agree with this assessment. It lays out the problem of guns in this country the way it truly is where there really isn't a perfect answer. Then you have all the entertainment critics (most of which are liberal in this country), thinking it didn't do enough to take a stand against gun violence. Then the conservative critics probably think it was a show saying we need to get all guns off the street. It essentially explains the current gun situation in the way it actually is instead of taking a vehement stand one way or the other. Heaven forbid a show works in reality and doesn't pontificate.

sirronstuff and therealdeal like this.
  5. therealdeal

Heaven forbid there's two sides to an argument. The Twitter era has really hurt society in that respect. Everything is a quick, gut reaction instead of a thorough and thoughtful conversation. I won't ruin the line, but there's a line that a Senator in this show uses that really is an excellent tool for gun law legislation.

Besides, I think keying in on the gun debate is a disservice to the tremendous work they do showing veteran lives after service. Bernthal (Punisher actor) talked about how hard he worked with military members to make sure he understood their path so he could represent it.

sirronstuff and Savory Griddles like this.
  6. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

I’m 7 episodes in, and this is my only problem with the show so far. Too much talking and angst... not enough Punisher being Punisher.

That said, it’s my only criticism. This show is pretty fantastic. I put it just behind DD season 1.

therealdeal and Savory Griddles like this.
  7. Savory Griddles

Honestly though, after The Defenders, I don't mind a bit of talking. It seemed like Defenders was just meaningless scenes to set up generic punching scenes.

Barnstable and therealdeal like this.
  8. therealdeal

I just think not all exposition is created equal. There's not many moments in this show that I lose interest. Keep going though and things will 100% pay off. The final three-four episodes are my favorite Marvel product maybe ever.

For instance, I love Mindhunters which is basically all exposition, but it's all interesting.

9. therealdeal

10. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I’ve read it before, but yesterday I read a few more quotes that the Marvel world post Avengers 4 will be very different. I like the idea a lot, I like that all the movies they’ve done are actually part of one big universe and leading to something big, and then something new. It would get old if they kept this same thing going forever, and obviously the actors can’t play these specific characters forever either. It will be cool when Avengers 4 is over to sit down and watch all the movies in order starting with like Iron Man. Sure it would take weeks, but it would be quite a ride.

11. therealdeal

12. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Goosebumps. Can not freakin wait, this might be the best Marvel movie!

Barnstable likes this.
  13. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I have so many to catch up on, but the last one I saw seemed a little corny. Too many silly jokes. Hulk acting like an immature idiot I didn’t care for so much

That was my lasting impression. I barely remember what the movie is about now. Thor lost an eye. Silly jokes. Would not pay to see again.

alam1108 likes this.
  14. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

So speculation time, who is gonna die? Cap, Stark, both? Someone else?

15. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

I had to watch it twice..... so good

therealdeal likes this.
  16. therealdeal

Thor 3? That's literally the last one to have come out. :D You have no catching up to do if you've watched up until that point.

I can understand not liking Thor 3 honestly, it was pretty silly. I loved the visuals though and Evangeline LIly (The Wasp actress) has said after Avengers 4, they're going to start leaning more into the colorful spectrum.

17. therealdeal

In this movie? It looks like Vision is in serious trouble. I think Spider-Man likely ends up seriously injured, but not dead (he's got another solo coming out).

After Avengers 4 ends though I think Cap and Scarlet Witch are dead for sure. Basically any actor that wants out is being given a shot to leave here.

18. Savory Griddles

I'm not sure this was posted anywhere in this thread, but this was a very interesting breakdown of Marvel's color palette. The guy in the video isn't talking about the quality of the movies, just the color grading.

19. therealdeal

I've seen this, yeah.

This was before Guardians 2 and Thor 3 though which are definitely exploring a more interesting color palette. I like it. I think it adds some life to the films. It doesn't have to be campy, but the color variation helps keep things interesting.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  20. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I've missed several before that but I do confuse between DC and Marvel. I've probably missed more DC than anything.