Official Marvel / MCU Discussion:

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ThizGuy83, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Please watch Legion! I need to talk about it with more people haha

And the little snippet of Gifted I saw looked pretty good. Nice special effects, but in modern times, so its not in the First Class or Legion universe.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  2. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Yeah, I usually spend summer to catch up on shows but just didn't have much free time this summer.

Barnstable likes this.
  3. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Nice that they went a different direction with this, and they have some great actors in it, but this trailer is pretty uninspiring

4. alam1108

TBH I have no idea what this movie is suppose to be about.

5. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I like that they're doing something different, but honestly I'm not sure if I'll watch it. I just haven't been going to the movies the last few months.

6. therealdeal

7. alam1108

Looks so freaking good. So excited for it.

8. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Thor: Ragnarok Review

The love fest for this movie is overblown, in my opinion. Is it good? I guess. Is it fun? In parts. But it is extremely hollow and they really jumped the shark with the comedy in this one. You can't go 30 seconds without a zinger. Considering the destruction of Asgard and the conquering of the 9 realms is the villain's main objective, the constant one-liners make the tone of the movie extremely uneven. The plot was very simple. It's almost like they had an frame of what they wanted to do and just bombarded you with jokes so you didn't notice they really didn't know how to build the inside of the house.Tessa Thompson was very subpar. I didn't like her in Westworld either. Something about her acting seems forced.

I really hope this director isn't brought back. I felt like I wasn't watching the same characters from the first two Thor movies. The tone was so uneven and different from the first two (and the two Avengers movies), it felt like an elseworld movie. This thing was much more akin to those Thor and Daryl shorts than the actual Marvel cinematic universe. Thor seems like a absolute dumb a**.

TIME likes this.
  9. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Agree and disagree.

It is a flawed movie with a very uneven tone. The comedy is over the top. Thor is presented as somewhat of a lunkhead for much of the movie. Tessa was miscast as Valkyrie. The Executioner was lame.

That said, I completely enjoyed it. The fight scenes are amazing. Some of the best superhero fighting yet. Thor is finally portrayed as godlike in his power (but I still hate that they destroyed the hammer).

I really thought the comedy fit when he was on the other planet, but it was out of place while Ragnarok is taking place. The Hulk stole the show again. Overall it was easily the best of the three Thor movies.

10. Savory Griddles

I agree with this. I just dont want Marvel to start getting lazy with their storytelling and using jokes to distract us from the lack of ideas. I dont know if they think that people's reaction to the dark Batman vs Superman means we want a zany comedy in our comic book movies, but the critical reception worries me that they will keep getting sillier and campier.

TIME likes this.
  11. therealdeal

I agree I don't need another Taika Waititi Thor film, but I did like this one. There were a few missteps that were created in an effort to push comedy which I didn't like at all.

1) I actually loved Karl Urban's Executioner because he was the only one in the movie with a real arc. He started somewhere, went through a change, and ended up somewhere else. He was misused most of the movie and I don't know how many bullets those guns had in them.

2) Hela was underutilized. She was used mostly to push the story instead of enrich it. I'll get back to that.

3) I also didn't enjoy Tessa Thompson. She was very okay, but the character should have been deeper. I liked her better in Creed.

4) I thought everything between Hulk/Banner and Thor was gold. Loved it. Wanted more of it.

5) The pace was too fast. They flew over big moments and I don't like that.

6) The effects, even practical (I could see Hemsworth eye at the end there in the makeup), weren't up to par.

7) The big one: The movie lacked gravity. Enormous moments weren't given their proper due so that we could feel the emotions needed. What separates Guardians from this movie is that while Guardians mixes in tons of comedy, the emotional notes are allowed to sink in (moreso of course in the first one). In Thor they miss a GOLDEN opportunity to delve into Valkyrie's past and her path to this planet. It's touched on, but it doesn't provide enough depth. The moment Loki forces her to relive should cause tears to cascade down her face and make us feel the pain of her sisters' deaths. They miss a GOLDEN opportunity to delve into Odin's past. He's a hypocrite of the highest order. We're made to believe for 2 Thor movies and 10ish Marvel movies that Odin's wisdom is concrete. He's a great man, a good god. Instead, he's a contradiction and a man who has hidden from his own past. Thor should get to confront him about that. It should shake Thor to his core to know his father was responsible for the deaths of 1000s of innocent people, maybe millions in order to build his empire. Odin was no different at all from Thor and in fact was much worse and we were robbed of that.

8) The movie isn't about anything. It's just a crazy chapter. Sure there's consequences from the movie, but what did Thor learn about himself? He was a hero at the start of the film and he faced no crisis of identity at any moment in this movie. He doesn't learn anything at all really about himself. Not every story needs to be profound of course. There's movies with thin plots that I absolutely love (the recent Mad Max), but this didn't live up to that standard.

9) Korg was great. I loved the contrast of his appearance and voice/mannerisms. The movie needed more of him and Maek. The bug was utterly wasted.

10) In this movie we saw the obliteration of an entire realm and the exodus of Thor's people, including the brutal massacre of his best friends, and yet we're still laughing throughout. Hell, Thor doesn't even get a moment to grieve for them. And Sif isn't even in the movie.

alam1108, TIME and Savory Griddles like this.
  12. Savory Griddles

Exactly. I didnt know how much to put because of spoilers, but they completely changed Odin's backstory. Hes now a genocidal a hole that evidently slaughtered entire civilizations. And Thors best friends? The guys that risked their lives to save and help Thor in the previous two movies? Died like extras. But there were jokes and stuff.

alam1108 and TIME like this.
  13. lakersyunowin

lakersyunowin - Lakers 6th Man -

Agree with most of your guys' points. Tonally, it was just too much comedy. It always felt like there was not enough at stake. Well there were big stakes on paper, it just never felt that way while watching. Nobody really ever felt in danger and that was in a large part because of all the levity. Hell, Thor's buddies all bit the big one and nobody mentions it that I can recall...not even a sad moment of remembrance or kind words from the big man. It was still fun and I enjoyed watching it, but it was just another junk food movie with very little to nourish the soul.

TIME likes this.
  14. therealdeal

Norse and Greek mythology are rife with gods that are flawed. I love that about their religions. I find it fascinating about their religions and the relationship the people have with their gods. Odin being a genocidal maniac is interesting and could make for a wonderful plot, but we don't get to see that. We see some of his hypocrisy, but that's glazed over quickly. Hell in his death scene we're immediately moved against Hela who shows up there for some unexplained reason. They don't delve into the situation where she's got a hammer in those old pictures and how that juxtaposes her against Thor. S*** we don't even delve into Thor being the "rightful heir" truly until the end.

TIME likes this.
  15. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

So apparently Disney has been in talks to buy most of fox. Everything but sports and news it sounds like... Google it...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

16. therealdeal

FOX is trying to sell their entertainment division in order to focus on News and Sports.

It would be a massive deal for Disney/Buena Vista. That being said, rumor is that deal is dead.

17. Savory Griddles

I heard. This is bad. Disney already controls so much. They are going to be able to form and shape the opinions in this country with more effectiveness than the government or even some parents.

18. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

Yeah read talks have died down, but fox shares are "soaring" with the rumor floating. I won't be surprised to see fox sell certain assets to Disney and others in the near future.

I agree a wholesale to D is not good, but I think D getting marvel, A New Hope, and others is a good thing for selfish me.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  19. therealdeal

I don't think it's bad for Disney because it's too late already. :D

I mean FOX controls a crazy amount of the media so that company shrinking is a good thing.

But yes I think it makes waaay too much sense for FOX to make this move. The interesting thing is, I don't think this immediately reconnects X-Men and the Avengers. I think that X-Men stays separate, but F4 returns to Marvel. If you're Disney, keep X-Men separate until the Avengers are starting to fade and you desperately need the publicity.

Kingsama likes this.
  20. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

I would bet they finish movies in production and migrate other characters that are either dead or not being used ie wolverine. Doom and Galactus enter straight into the mcu with the first family.