Official Marvel / MCU Discussion:

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ThizGuy83, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    I don't really follow comics so I don't know much about Daredevil other than what I saw from the Ben Afleck movie many years ago (which I did not like.)

But honestly, the pilot for this new Daredevil series might be my favorite thing I've seen in the MCU since the Avengers. Again, I've only seen the pilot, but it was very high quality. Excellent cinematography and acting, and they're setting up some plot lines and characters that seem every interesting to me since I don't know the history of this superhero. But aside from that, the pilot embodied what I think of when I hear the word superhero.

therealdeal likes this.
  2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I'm in the middle of the 2nd episode... This show is fantastic. The pilot had some stiffness with the acting and I think the fighting is a little over choreographed even, but it's really really really good. It's what I was hoping it would be.

3. therealdeal

Just finished episode 2 and holy goodness. This show is amazing and it's just getting started.

4. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I might restart Netflix for this. Plus they picked up one of my favorite canceled series, Longmire.

5. therealdeal

Just finished episode 3 and yes I'm watching them at work instead of... working...

The show gets better and better as actors find their groove. This thing is a damn hit.

What's Longmire?

6. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Wait. Longmire was cancelled?

7. TIME

Lifelong Lakers fan.

@therealdeal Longmire is a modern western. Robert Taylor plays a sheriff in a small Wyoming town. His deputy is Katee Sackoff. His best friend is Lou Diamond Phillips. It's a little like Justified, only in Wyoming and with cowboys and Reservation Native Americans rather than Kentucky hillbillies.

@Savory Griddles yeah A&E dropped the show even though it was their 2nd highest rated show because of an older demographic. But Netflix picked it up for season 4.

8. therealdeal

Sweet! I'll give it a shot after Daredevil.

By the way... I'm on episode 6 and it's been fantastic so far. Each episode gets better.

9. therealdeal

Just finished Daredevil and man... it's spectacular. It's everything that comic-book movies have been trying to do since Batman Begins.

It's dark, it's scary, it's intimidating. It's mafia meets superheroes an epic 13 hour long saga. I absolutely loved it. There were points it drags because they're hour long episodes, but the dragging is honestly just from fatigue watching it so long. Every moment feels necessary. Every scene feels like they needed to include it.

Maybe the BEST thing about the series is that it DOESN'T rely on cameos and the greater story of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. There are references sure and part of the plot is built off of the events of the Avengers, but this series stands completely on it's own power. You don't NEED to watch Avengers to appreciate it. Everything main-stream national television shows tries to do, this show does. D'Onofrio is ground breaking. The cast is mostly perfect. The acting is about as solid as you can ask for. The attention to detail is tremendous. The cinematography at times is epic and at other times is perfect. The story revolving around two different men with the same end goal, but different ideals... I mean just gorgeous. Just so damn good.

Marvel and Netflix have a chance to change the way people watch shows permanently; maybe movies too. This was a 13 hour movie and it let the show flesh out EVERY detail they wanted to explore. A movie on this scale would skip so much information.

The referenced Elektra once which was great and sneaky. Gladiator got a mention/part and that was solid. The best though was the set-up of Iron Fist and I think Iron Fist might really draw everything together. The Defenders is all about protecting Hell's Kitchen and the other small communities within New York. I think the episode "Stick" really sets up a potentially great conflict that'll draw Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Matt Murdock, and Danny Rand all together.

AKA Jessica Jones has a LOT to live up to, but after seeing how far they went with Daredevil I think they're going to really knock it out of the park. Purple Man is going to be a great transition villain after the epic Kingpin. A smaller time guy who has no real intentions, just does whatever he wants and screws with people... This show is going to be good too.

I just hope Daredevil shows up again soon. This show was so great.

raviator and alam1108 like this.
  10. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Sounds good Real, might just have to restart my Netflix subscription it Daredevil and the recent season of House of Cards.

therealdeal likes this.
  11. therealdeal

TIME likes this.
  12. TIME

Lifelong Lakers fan.

Looks better than I was anticipating.

therealdeal likes this.
  13. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

Man, at episode 8 of daredevil, and it just keeps getting better.

Barnstable and therealdeal like this.
  14. therealdeal

Right? I was actually really nervous that this movie would bomb badly, but this has me a little more excited. Get it?... a little?...

Oh Mondays...

XXIV likes this.
  15. therealdeal

That one might honestly be my favorite episode of the series. Dark, twisted, but so damn compelling.

And yet still I feel nothing for Fisk. I think D'Onorfio did an amazing job, but I still absolutely hate that character. Just because I understand him, doesn't mean I'm empathetic and I think that's where D'Onorfio really just killed it.

Kingsama likes this.
  16. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

As for Ant Man, most of me still feels like its not going to be that good, but the trailer has transitioned me from hopeless, to cautiously optimistic. I don't think they should have gone with Lang,nor Rudd. Pym is far more compelling to me and vastly more complex. Douglas looks like is going to nail Pym though. So here's to hoping it doesn't suck.

17. therealdeal

Yeah I'm with you. The lack of marketing, the lack of attention, and the whole controversy with the director and whatnot had me really worried about this one. I'm now more hopeful and I'll definitely check it out.

Marvel hasn't really had a flop since Incredible Hulk which came out just after Iron Man in 2008. The next closest is probably Agents of SHIELD which really struggled at first. Agent Carter wasn't great, but had a decent reception (like a lot of their properties). I was really worried Ant-Man would be the closest thing to a flop since Incredible Hulk. It still might be, but I'm at least more interested now than I was before.

So far I think Daredevil could be one of their best told stories. I'd put it up there with Cap 2 in terms of a coherent story mixed with fun and intrigue.

18. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Ant Man will be good.

therealdeal likes this.
  19. raviator

raviator - Rookie -

Just got started on Daredevil. So far it's good in my book. Just like the others said, dark, gritty, and grounded in reality. But talk about cinematography? No spoilers but the end scene on episode two, 6 minutes without a cut. Can't remember seeing something like that shot that long without a break in the camera action. I had to watch it twice just to appreciate the choreography and timing. Anyway, great show so far.

therealdeal and JSM like this.
  20. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

If you like that scene check out Tony jaa here.

raviator and TIME like this.