Official Dc Thread

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by JSM, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Terrible for him. Just awful.

This doesn't bode well for the movie, but ultimately who cares?

3. Savory Griddles

Yeah. The movie should be secondary, but that's the way the world works. When someone close to you dies, your world stops and everything grinds to a halt. The rest of the world does what we're doing..."That's horrible." or "Condolences." and then we move on. Unfortunately, life doesn't give us the time to stop and grieve everyone that dies, so we keep going. And to us, our relationship with Zack Snyder is the DCEU. That's where we "come together" with this person, so it's only natural that the giant movie he is working on pops into our heads.

4. therealdeal

Oh I agree completely. My second thought was, " wow what does WB do with this now?"

The expectations are now completely lowered and any critical reception will be blunted given the circumstances. After all the money that went into this movie, it's essentially an expensive punt. Maybe it goes well, maybe it doesn't, but even if it stinks it won't sink the DCEU.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  5. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

I'm glad Zach is taking a step back to be with his family right now. I think that's the right thing to do in such a terrible circumstance.

I think the movie however will be improved 100 fold by having Joss Whedon complete it. Everything that guy touches turns to gold, so I might even see the movie now, where I had 0 interest before.

6. Savory Griddles

It's a good point. If the movie sucks, WB will "leak" through the media that "people close to Zach" could see the how hard it was for him and how it was effecting his mental state. "We can't look really look at Justice League as an incitement of the DCEU because of the circumstances." This is tragic, but you can bet "sources close to the production" will come out of the woodwork and use this tragedy to explain away any issues with the film......even though it was mostly finished filming when the tragedy took place.

7. therealdeal

What I've read is that the movie is really done filming so Whedon is just buttoning it up. I'm not sure if that's spin to either protect Whedon or protect Snyder, but that's what the initial reports have said. Whatever this film is will have very little Whedon in it for better or worse.

8. therealdeal

Pretty much. Or if it beats all expectations and is a good movie, you can bet it catapults to "one of the greatest of all time given the circumstances" types of conversations and completely reinvigorates Snyder's career.

9. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Then I'm back to having no interest in it again haha

therealdeal likes this.
  10. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Early reviews of Wonder Woman has been pretty positive.

11. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

I'm hearing a lot of "it feels a lot like cap 1 and really is pretty good" not a lot of "this is great!" Here's to hoping though

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

12. alam1108

Baby steps!

13. Savory Griddles

I just hope the reviews are actually about the movie itself and not a political statement. Some of the stuff being said is:

"What lingers beyond that is the feeling of hope that the movie brings, that it someday might be possible for female rationality to defeat male brutality."

"Wonder Woman has raised the bar. Now let's see if the boys can clear it."

"Witnessing such feminine power is mind-boggling and awe-inspiring, but wistful, too. It's a shame that such instances are so rare to be exceptional."

I'm all for female empowerment and equality, but I don't want this to be a case where people are just so excited that the lead of a superhero film is female, that they ignore whether or not it was good and give it good reviews to make sure it isn't the last female-led superhero film.

TIME likes this.
  14. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

I feel like your fears are well based. Most of the reviews I read had content like that which praises its femaleness etc, but didn't really say a lot about the movie. The more indepth reviews I read still said it was good, maybe not great, but a very good step in the right direction for DC.

15. Savory Griddles

I saw it. It was good, bordering on very good. Not just "good for a DC movie" but for any movie. There were problems, but overall it was a legitimately good movie.

This does not feel like a DC movie as far as tone. Stylistically it does feel a little like the DC universe with the high contrast imagery; deep blacks, etc. But the tone of the movie was much lighter with Gadot and Pine being 100x's more likable than any character in the Supes/Bats corner of the DCEU.

The action was solid and not gratuitous.

Gadot nailed the whole fish-out-of-water vibe of Diana entering the real world for the first time. Patty Jenkins who (intentionally) made Charlize Theron look dreadful in Monster made Gadot stunning in this.

Now to the spoilers...

If the Amazonians are to be believed, Zeus is the creator of men. They don't appear to be taking the Marvel route with ancient gods (a.k.a. Asgardians) and making them really powerful beings that aren't actually gods, but are perceived to be by the less evolved men. To me, this may become problematic when trying to explain Superman and Kryptonians. Did Zeus also create Kryptonians? Do Kryptonians have their own god/creator? How powerful is Diana in this universe?
    She is literally Zeus's daughter in this incarnation. She is a god on the same level as Ares. She is not simply a demi-god or a magically created character. She is the literal daughter of Zeus and direct brother of Ares. With this knowledge, she could conceivably be the most powerful being left in the universe (since Zeus evidently is dead).

They dump a lot of information on you in the last 20 minutes of the movie. Too much if you ask me. Diana "develops" insane powers and her bracers become ridiculous.

I feel like this could have been the movie that launched the DCEU.

Watch it. Don't let the previous DCEU shortcomings dissuade you. This has a different feel. I can only hope that Joss Whedon has more control over the final product of Justice League than we are being told because it would be very disappointing to go from the grim DCEU we thought we were going to have to live with to this much more hopeful version and back to a dark, dreary Snyder dump.

16. Savory Griddles

Has no one watched WW yet? No one has anything to say about it? Was I Lakersball's cup-bearer for this movie, and now that I've affirmed it is not deadly poison you will go see it next weekend? :D

17. therealdeal

I saw it just now actually!

I liked it a lot! I thought it did a fantastic job of showcasing a strong woman. This movie was by far my favorite DC movie and there's nothing really close since Dark Knight.

It had its issues, but nothing worth holding a grudge about.

18. alam1108

I've started avoiding watching big movies during opening weekend. Always too noisy for me to enjoy the movie. Will watch it tomorrow though.

19. Savory Griddles

I started watching most of my movies at Cinepolis. Sure it costs more, but the reserved seat and fewer people make the viewing more enjoyable.

therealdeal likes this.
  20. therealdeal

I try to watch XD at the Cinemark by my place. Same idea. Leather, reclining seats and the stadium only seats something like 150 people in it. So much more enjoyable than elbowing the fat, greasy guy next to me who can't stop coughing into his own popcorn.