Official Dc Thread

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by JSM, Mar 13, 2015.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

My friend put it best: looks like a really fancy cartoon movie.

Even the tiny bits of dialogue in this trailer are terrible, but the visuals look good and that's really all that these movies have going for them.

alam1108 likes this.
  2. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

That is an excellent way of describing it. I'm a sucker for super hero team ups and I'll go watch this but it doesn't feel like the start or Avenger equivalent for the DCCU.

3. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Looks terrible and it still looks better than I expected

alam1108 and therealdeal like this.
  4. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I have to base my opinion compared to the Marvel universe, because that is the current benchmark, and based on that it looks awful IMO. Hate the costumes and their heavy leather look (it's all very Thor-like, almost a complete rip off of those movies). Hate the dark color pallete that remains from Man of Steel/Batman V Superman, it's like these movies take place in a universe of eternal night, or cloudy skies/perpetual dusk. Hate the design of Cyborg, he looks like he's straight out of the Transformers franchise. Lastly, I HATE the laughable overuse of slow motion shots. Slow motion shots have their place, but it stopped being "cool" or even novel with the Matrix movies long ago.

Overall though, the thing that strikes me while watching the trailer is that I simply don't care. I don't see a villain, I don't see a point in all the fighting, it's "cool" looking characters doing "cool" moves and smashing stuff and such. Why do I care about these characters? I don't, I barely know them. Marvel built their universe up slowly and made me care about their characters. I didn't like Captain America when I first saw it, but as the movies went on, as CA2 came out, I was glad to have seen his origin story because now I knew who he was and what he was about and I knew his tragic tale and I cared. There is none of this aside from with Superman in this new DC universe, as I actually do like Man Of Steel. Bottom line, whoever is running the DC movie universe is clueless, they will never catch Marvel on this current path, and their only quality film stuff remains in animated form.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  5. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Not trying to pat myself on the back since there is still zero proof, but I posted the above over a month ago. With Batgirl and Nightwing and Sirens...they were talking about these changes on Collider Heroes.

6. alam1108

I might be the only person on here that watches all the CW DC shows and Gotham, but just want to say that this season has been the best for all the shows. Really strong story lines.

7. Barnstable

I can only watch Supergirl and The Flash. The others are just too repetitive (Arrow), or terrible (Legends of Tomorrow. How does this show stay on the air?)

But I do watch those two religiously, and I'll watch Arrow when there's a crossover event.

8. alam1108

Give this season of Arrow a shot, I think it's the best season yet and the finale is set up to be crazy.

9. Weezy

I only watch Supergirl because I watched season 1 and while it's cheesy, I figured I'd see it through. Not gonna lie, half of why I started watching was because Melissa Benoist is hot. I watched season 1 of Gotham and then kinda lost track of it but I plan on catching up at some point. The rest of the shows I just never started on, I've never been a much of a CW fan, the shows have a certain style that doesn't land with me. I probably wouldn't have started watching Supergirl had it not began on CBS honestly.

Barnstable likes this.
  10. Savory Griddles

Supergirl is one of the worst shows I have ever seen. I watched all of season one, trying to give them a chance to get their footing. I started watching season two and had to stop. I tuned in to catch the "crossover" episode (as it turns out there wasn't any need to). I watched last week's because Superman was coming back and I thought there might be some good action. (turns out he's in it for 5 seconds). Instead we got a really cringe worthy speech from Cat Grant about girl power to try and talk down an alien invasion? Supergirl sees Airforce One going down and instead of saving the freaking President of the United States, she saves a media mogul?

I don't mind a show that has more female characters. It's a nice change of pace from some of the others. But every important character is a female. The complaint has always been how female characters are used as props for male characters (which is true in a lot of cases). But Supergirl takes it to a completely new level the other way. Every important character in the show is a female. And they are sure to remind everyone about their gender at EVERY freaking turn. How many times are the characters on the show reminded that they are a "strong, independent woman."

And this will be the second season in a row where a huge alien threat is looming and in order to explain why Superman isn't there to help (to give Supergirl all the glory) we go with mind control. Superman has been Superman for 10 years in this universe, and he has battled and beaten his nemesis Lex Luthor. But what little we've seen of him, he seems like a moron.

The writing is really lazy to where they come up with any gadget they need in a moment's notice to keep the plot going forward (all the Arrowverse shows do this). They continue to make this part of another Earth instead of using Flashpoint to combine them (seemed like a no-brainer to me).

I just really wanted this show to be good because it is the closest we are going to get to a Superman show. /rant

Barnstable likes this.
  11. alam1108

I think thats where you're going about things wrong. Its a show about Supergirl in National City but you're expecting a lot of Superman but he's dealing with stuff in Metropolis. They weren't allowed to use him during season 1 (Warner Bros and DC have this weird thing with their movie and TV rights) and this season we actually got to see him.

12. Barnstable

lol I can't really disagree with anything you said here. I'd just add that there's an element of simple charm to Supergirl, that keeps me coming back.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  13. Weezy

But, she's so hot...

14. Savory Griddles

No. I get that. We don't need Superman to be in every episode, but the writers know that if a giant alien invasion is taking place, Superman has to be there because he wouldn't just sit there and tell Supergirl, "You got dis, cuz." when the survival of the planet is at stake. But instead of working him into the story in believable way that doesn't marginalize him, they're just like "Eh...Mind control." There's ways you can have them work together for part of the episode and then have Superman do something like hold off some huge army while Supergirl takes out the boss. But we're now having a huge alien invasion climax happen for the second season in a row, and Superman somehow gets mind controlled again. You can make Supergirl the hero of the show and not undercut Superman. If I were DC, I'd be pissed with the way they are using Superman. He's still their goldenboy (along with Batman of course). This is probably why they resisted allowing them to use Superman on television, and why they will likely never get their no-talent-a**-clown hands on Batman. So many people are hoping for Batman to show up in this dumpster fire that has become the Arrowverse. Please...PLEASE DC. Keep some of your characters from turning into the equivalent of One Tree Hill with punching.

Weezy likes this.
  15. alam1108

Can't argue with the first point but the second point, different strokes for different folks.

They don't allow the CW to use characters that are currently in the movies because the majority of fans will be confused between the two (their words, not mine).

16. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Sounds like WW might be DC's best movie (from what i read). I hope it is, we need something decent.

alam1108 and Barnstable like this.
  17. Barnstable

The CW is going all in for DC comics it seems

alam1108 and raviator like this.
  18. raviator

raviator - Rookie -

I'm actually liking this. Way different tone from this likes of Flash which I like btw. I think it could do well if the writing is good enough. I'll be looking forward to this one.

Barnstable likes this.
  19. alam1108

I know nothing about this Black Lightning character but I like the feel I get from the trailer.

20. alam1108

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...wn-justice-league-deal-family-tragedy-1006455

Thoughts go out to the Snyder family.
    Whedon brought in to finish the movie.