Official 2016 Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Nov 16, 2015.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I mean... how many of those guys do we need? I like Landry, but we've got too many bigs as it is. Seems like another name throw in.

2. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

We need more guards! And wings! We already have a plethora of bigs.

lakerjones likes this.
  3. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    Ya we have a bunch of bigs...

Mozgov/Black/Zubac
    Randle / Nance /Jianlian
    Deng/Ingram/Young/Brown
    Clarkson/Williams/
    Russell/Calderon/Huertas

definitely weak at the guard spots...Calderon is done, Huertas sucks and Williams is the only servicable guard off the bench although very trigger happy.

4. The Showtime Mamba

The Showtime Mamba - Lakers 6th Man -

That's on the money. And I am assuming that C bag championship tattoo he got (without the ring) was a deal breaker for Luke. I watched Terry score on the Lakers and used to curse that MF'n jet. I feel he would be completely out of rocket fuel and I would be cursing his short threes and 50 year old dad d (when guarding nba calibre guards).

He would be the lockeroom lawyer from hell, and brings nothing to the table. Let the Nets or the Queens pick him up.

sirronstuff likes this.
  5. therealdeal

Calderon started 72 games last year and shot 42% from deep. I wouldn't say done, but he's clearly a bench player. Huertas was actually pretty decent in the Olympics and a decent third string PG. I do agree they're thinner than all of our bigs, I'm just not as down on the guys we have now.

6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i think given that jc can play either guard spot, the lakers are in pretty good shape there. it would take a couple of significant injuries to really notice that the 4th/5th guards aren't very good.

to me, roster depth isn't the problem; there's just no stars on the team as of yet. that's the killer.

TIME and Barnstable like this.
  7. KB24

Certified Tax Advisor
    yes realdeal, you aren't as down on the guys because you haven't tasted defeat this season yet. I'm sure at some point we will talk about this again...

Its always easy to talk before the season starts with all the hope and expectations. I remember how people were optimistic last year. Obviously we don't know yet what this team will accomplish but this conversations will be different in march than they are today.

Helljumper likes this.
  8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i wasn't very optimistic last year. i expected about 30 wins. i got less. i expect about 30 wins this year. the main reason for optimism is that i think the lakers finally got out of their bad coach rut. but in terms of winning/competing, i think we're looking at something similar to the recent past.

anyway, yes, once the losing starts, we'll all be roasting everyone, and the vets will be the easy targets because it's less psychologically threatening to say calderon sucks, than, say, clarkson sucks.

but i'm with real, calderon is still a viable nba backup last i saw. lou williams is still a pretty high quality bench scorer, and both clarkson and russell can play basketball at a high (albeit inconsistent) level. huertas shouldn't have to see the floor much.

if we're thin (literally, too?) anywhere, it's at sf. deng is good but old, ingram is going to take a while to adjust, and i'm not sold on anthony brown as an nba player.

9. KB24

Certified Tax Advisor
    I think its reasonable to expect Deng and the #2 pick to at least not be a weakness.

I know Deng is old but he is still 31...he will be awful in the last couple of years of his deal.

10. therealdeal

Oh I fully expect to join the sad bandwagon about 10 games into the season when we're having a tough time adjusting. I'm just saying there's a distinction between "done" and "backup". Even Calderon admitted he'd rather be a backup at this stage in his career and I think we're going to give him an opportunity to come in and be a positive impact more often than not. Positive doesn't mean winning though. It could just be calming or steady play even if it's not Championship level play.

Barnstable likes this.
  11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i really mean old in terms of mileage. he's played a ton of nba minutes for a 31 year old.

and by "thin" i mean that we don't have a lot of capable guys (let's say less than three) who can play that spot.

at pg, i think there are three: russell, calderon, and clarkson
    at sg, i think there are also three: clarkson, williams, and russell
    at sf, i only see two (deng and ingram), as i think of anthony brown like i think of huertas: let's not have them in the game if at all possible.
    at pf, i think there are three: randle, nance, and yi
    at c, i think there are at least three: mozgov, yi, black, and maybe zoobs

i suppose, depending upon your opinion of black and/or zoobs, one could argue we're "thin" at center, too.

12. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

If we're running a small ball lineup, I can see Clarkson playing some SF and Deng playing some PF.

Pretty sure Golden State will run Durant at the 4 as well.

They'll definitely run some:
    Curry
    Klay
    Iggy
    Durant
    Green

I think we can run for a really athletic, small ball group.
    Russell
    Clarkson
    Ingram
    Nance
    Randle

ZenMaster and LTLakerFan like this.
  13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

very few teams play an undersized 1/2/3 simultaneously. carlisle deploys it in dallas when things aren't going well, but even "smallball" typically just means "no center". most teams playing small still play bigger wings.

Barnstable likes this.
  14. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    Deng will probably get some minutes at the 4 As well but I like your lineup.

15. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    IMO were not thin at all at any position, but like you've said before abeer... We're missing that star. Hopefully we can lure in Cousins at the deadline.

16. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

THAT star who will take the shots to win the game? THAT star who believes he will be THE difference on the floor? He might not be one or one yet but Russell appears to me thinks he is.

Battle Tested20 and Barnstable like this.
  17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

lance stephenson THINKS he is...there's a gulf between scrubdom and stardom littered with the bloated bodies of people who think they are.

russell and ingram have a chance, but they're not even close right now. at all. this is why the lakers won't win a lot. just truth. you don't dig out of the hole they're in after a couple years.

18. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Agree...but from an eye test [at least mine] either one have a more refined skill set than Stephenson. Of course, Russell and Ingram aren't there though they have to start somewhere. The former has the confidence even if borderline cocky.