[OC] Shortcomings Of The Lakers Offense So Far

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by bfc1125roy, Oct 3, 2018.

1. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Yeah, but after that video, the started running more "Horns", which creates and has better spacing principles than the 1-4 high pick in roll; basically paraphrasing Lakers Film Room.

The goal this year should be a top 10-12 team in Offensive Efficiency. Anything less, I'd be disappointed.

2. LaVarBallsDad

Yep. Or he can just hire better assistants to expedite his learning curve...

3. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Agreed. We've got great playmakers out there. We should be great on offense once they get some chemistry.

4. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

That's definitely something else in the back of my head. Who's considered as our real X's and O's guy on the staff right now?

sirronstuff and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  5. LaVarBallsDad

Mermurys...

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  6. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    It's even more troubling if you have an echo chamber in your own head. Some people take solace in agreeing with the majority. Others relish swimming against the current by themselves. Neither is more virtuous.

I disagree with your main point, which seems to be that we have bad offensive coaching. There are two ways to coach an offense: by plays or by pattern. You seem to be concerned about the lack of plays. In my observations of how Luke played and how he coaches so far, I see him as a pattern coach primarily. Of, coarse he draws up specific plays for end bounds and end game buzzer scenarios, but he is not a micro-manager call every play every time down the court type of coach. I personally prefer that type of coach. It worked fairly well for John Wooden and Phil Jackson. They both relied on a simple basic scheme which had infinite possible variations. They intended their players to learn the scheme and then grow in their ability to choose the right variation in the moment. Luke has been greatly influenced by both coaches.

Now, it is true that this kind of approach requires smart players to succeed. This is going to be where LeBron, Rondo, and Lonzo are going to shine. They are three of the sharpest in the NBA at this style of offensive basketball. But, we have a bunch of new players, thus the insistence that it's going to take some time. I remember preseason the first year PJ installed the triangle. It was ugly. Early season was ugly. But they ended up winning the championship that year. We are probably not going to win the championship, but at this point I'll join the echo chamber of those more concerned with the defense than the offense.

7. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

Your first post was after 2 preseason games and you prefaced everything by essentially saying you won’t accept any defense that it’s preseason. You basically opened a debate with a prereq that you won’t accept a common and quite logical retort. I’ll set a calendar reminder to come back to this thread after 20 games.

TIME, alam1108, Juronimo and 3 others like this.
  8. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Not to undermine bfc's thoughtful complaint and Time's, ETG's, wall's and LVBD's worthy retorts (among others)...

But since Luke's gotten here 2 seasons ago, there's been a roster overhaul, where only 5 players were brought back from season '16/17 to '17/18 (of that Deng didn't even play) and only 6 players were brought back this season from last season. Only BI and Zu remain from the team Luke inherited.

Of the 20+ players that have come and gone, the Lakers at one point were considered the youngest team in the league. We're currently the 4th youngest team with the youngest coach in the league.

And within all that youth and flux, the FO didn't even remain consistent. So Luke has not only had to go through a tremendous player turnover and teaching young professionals how NBA life is, but his bosses and team vision/culture has changed as well.

Now try building a consistent offense with all those factors at play.

No offense to the subject matter, but I get really defensive when the other side of the floor isn't emphasized enough. The offense will come, but the foundation of growth has to be predicated on how we perform defensively.

9. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

With such a gluttony of smart ball handlers and offensively gifted players, offense is the least of my worries. Its better for us to spend training camp focus on defensive schemes and for a practically new roster to develop chemsitry.

We didn't really focus much on offense schemes last training camp and came out of the gates popping.

10. bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy - Rookie -

Not bumping this as an “I told you so” - but more just to show it IS possible to recognize shortcomings in a team’s system (or lack thereof) even without half a season‘s worth of games. Especially with a returning head coach. Props to Magic for recognizing this and let’s see what we do moving forward.

sirronstuff likes this.
  11. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Yeah not trying to brag at all :Magicwow4:

Lol most of us were never claiming Luke was great at half court plays, we just said we didn't want him fired, and give it more time. But I will say Magic apparently agreed with you that he doesn't want to wait.

LTLakerFan and therealdeal like this.
  12. bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy - Rookie -

Bumping this because now it's become fashionable on this board to criticize the Lakers offense. Funnily enough, it's for the EXACT same reasons I listed on October 3rd. It's a fun read to see the amount I was criticized too, lol.

13. LaVarBallsDad

Good job. Going to go back and read what I said...

14. LaVarBallsDad

Yeah, I didn't say anything that I regret; my main point was that I'd give it time - i.e. by December. Well, we suck. Luke needs to be fired, too.

15. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

[​IMG]
    Seriously though, great call. Not the first time you've been right despite unpopular opinion.

sirronstuff likes this.