1. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand

I've never heard of a Federal Fire Dept. They really exist? What do they do that is different than local, forestry, or volunteer Firefighters?

I agree 10000000X with the "whatever costs me less."

2. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

I didn't even know there was such a thing as Federal Fire fighters other than military. They are not what I'm talking about and apparently pretty inconsequential to what I'm talking about since I didn't know they existed. Local Fire Fighters, funded by taxes work and are effective at what they are suppose to do.

I've never once head about Germany's volunteer fire department, so I'm not inclined to believe it works so perfectly until I've read more on it.

Now that doesn't seem based in reality. If you were randomly walking down the street and got attacked, you wouldn't be calling the police because you're required to by law. You do it because it's the recourse that is available to you, and you don't have to pay. If people had to pay a private security firm to investigate every time they got attacked, or robbed, or anything, this nation would be in chaos. You can't have safety only if you can pay for it. Where have you ever seen anything like that work in a civilized society?

Buying groups don't cover people that aren't in them. The whole point of Universal Medical is that it covers EVERYBODY from you and me, to a kid who's parent's religion doesn't allow modern medical care, but the doctors know he has cancer, to a homeless guy that got hit by a car, and everything in-between. The point is to cover everybody, because we as a society rise as a group. It benefits all of us when people are healthy and able to work, aren't transmitting diseases because they didn't get that shot they couldn't afford, or treating conditions after they get life threatening when it could have been caught and treated at a lower cost earlier.

As for the rest of that quote I agree with the rest of it.

EastBayLakers8 likes this.
  3. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Might be a topic for a different thread, but our government has conducted studies on those deemed "less then." If we have a single payer, are we really trusting them to not do it again?

I'm thinking about them injecting blacks with syphilis, Native Americans with polio and small pox, etc.

And more on topic, most other countries with universal health care sucks. But i am willing to expand on alternative medicines and lower pharmaceuticals. Cut out the FDA and get meds from other countries.

4. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

Yes you do have to pay. Police officers and detectives don't work for free.

1) So join a group. Problem solved.

2) So what are you saying? A child's parents should have their custody revoked by the doctor due to their religious beliefs? That's a whole 'nother topic.

3) Who says homeless people can't join a group? About 9-10% of homeless people are veterans. The American Legion and other veteran's groups can negotiate insurance for their members if the federal government allows it.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  5. Barnstable

No you don't have to pay.

The difference? You get fired, you're near broke and someone robs you... the police will help you. You go to a private security agency asking them to help you with no money and they'll laugh you out of the building.

Big difference. The police are a safety net that can help peotect you no matter your financial standing.

1) so now you're requiring people to join a group to have medical coverage. And that's different than requiring them to pay into taxes how?

2) The child in my example didn't have any say in if they want treatment. Once they turn 18, they have an option that wouldn't be there otherwise.

3) That proposal is not at all realistic. Homeless people are by and large, not in their right mind, and aren't joining any particular group. Your scenario is also forcing people to join a group in order to gain medical coverage, and why exactly? How is forcing people to join collectives, any better than just extending the taxes we already collect to universal medical care? You're just adding another step people have to do rather than being covered either way.

6. revgen

Not true.

Some private security firms do offer pro-bono work for those who can't afford their services.

LINK

1) No. Individual insurance is still available. Doctor/Patient co-ops are an option too in some states.

2) Unlike taxes, nobody is forced to join a group.

I don't understand how this relates to supporting universal health care over group insurance. If the child has no say, then they cannot sign up for either.

1) Homeless people who are mentally ill can't sign up to join a group, but they can sign up for universal health coverage? Sorry. Not buying that. Signing papers and filling out forms is a requirement for treatment by any doctor. If these homeless people can't do it, then neither group insurance or universal coverage will be of much use to them.

2) Nobody is being forced to do anything. There's no mandate to join group insurance. There is a mandate to pay certain taxes.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  7. Barnstable

Dude. You know damn well that is not a solution to general crime. Private security firms will not be working pro-bono to replace cops.

Then it will be ineffective because the whole point is to cover everyone regardless on if people forgot to re-up, movedd to a new area out of their group's coverage, and a slew of other reasons why people WOULD not be covered when they needed it.

I don't feel like explaining this anymore as I think its minutia that won't really add anything.

Homeless people that are mentally ill don't have to sign anything. If they are mentally ill, the doctors make the call.

But say we're talking about a homeless person that isn't deemed mentally ill. The difference in our systems would be that if people would need to join groups to cover medical, homeless people would not do it, therefore any hospital that helped them would get nothing, but with universal health care, homeless people wouldn't have to join anything, they'd be covered no matter what.

8. revgen

1) Sure, but it would basically be pro-bono. Doctors need papers in order to be financially compensated for work performed. Whether it's by universal coverage or private insurance. If there is no patient on record or a patient's signature, it will be difficult for the doctor to prove that a service was rendered.

2) So you're saying homeless people who aren't mentally ill won't join group insurance? Why? Either way, papers have to be signed unless the service is emergency treatment or pro-bono.

9. Barnstable

To be continued...

Good night

John3:16 likes this.
  10. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Whoops. I just meant government funded fire departments and no seriously if you knew the amount of downtime these guys have or how much overtime they can make, it'd probably shock you.

John3:16 likes this.
  11. Barnstable

Oh I'm friends with a Fire Captain. Believe me I know how much down time they have, but it's nessisay.

They're on call at the fire house, just waiting for something to happen. I know it sounds like they're just able to lounge, but it's part of the job to be at the fire house and not be doing anything important so that they can be up and out in the fire engine in an instant.

12. therealdeal

I understand the logic, but I'm not really a fan of paying for them to workout, nap, play video games... I've argued this with my family and they actually agree to an extent. Of course to them it's a "what are you gonna do?" type of thing. To me it's "why am I paying for it?"

I feel like that times 15 trillion for the post office.

revgen likes this.
  13. Barnstable

I'm curious then, what should they do in the down time in between emergencies?

14. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    I disagree. Working out is part of their job. They need to be physically fit to lift / drag bodies out of buildings. As for a nap, it's been proven to make you more alert when you've had a mid-day nap. Video games? I'm not cool with that, but I guess it's not different than watching a movie, playing cards, or listening to music.

Barnstable and revgen like this.
  15. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I mean, I'm assuming that we're all employed here and most of us post quite a bit on this board...and are technically being paid to do it.

Chillbongo, Barnstable and John3:16 like this.
  16. therealdeal

I don't work for the government and should my boss fire me for time wasting, that's his prerogative.

I just happen to get my work done fast and efficiently so my boss doesn't ask questions. :Kobefistbump:

17. Chillbongo

Chillbongo - Lakers 6th Man -

Are we still talking about healthcare?

18. Chillbongo

Chillbongo - Lakers 6th Man -

You can make the "pay into something we don't need argument" for social security.

That s*** will be gone by the time I'm eligible.

revgen and John3:16 like this.
  19. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand

Agree on both points.

If anyone truly wants a single payer health care system, stop by your local VA hospital. Ask anyone when they made their appointment. You'll change your mind real fast. And the VA is the 2nd largest budget in the United States (2nd to the military).

revgen likes this.
  20. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I'm 38. I don't think it will be completely gone by the time I'm there, but it will be so insignificant, I will need to likely move out of So Cal to some South American country...like Chile.

Chillbongo and revgen like this.