Multiple MAX Players=Contention?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by Khmrp, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

I wanted to bring this topic up for debate. Its seems our FA plan is 2max or we can't be true contenders. To counter that, some may or may not agree with me but out of the 7 remaining teams (NOT counting GSW) in the playoffs, only 1 has 2 true max players (Hou, Harden/CP3). Den does not have 2 true max, I dont even consider Jokic a true max guy but he's the only one on Den that's on max deal, Bucks only have 1 max (greek), Phi has 1 max (Embiid) but I'm guessing Simmons will eventually get maxed, Tor only has 1 max (Leonard) as I dont consider Lowry a true max player either, Bos only has 1 max (Irving), I understand Gordon is paid as a Max player but his contribution currently is NOT a max lvl player, Por only has Dame on a max deal (i think). So with that said, why do we continue that stance with our FA plans IF we miss out again this yr on a max lvl FA, i.e. cont. 1yr signing and rolling the cap again? GSW is the exception to the rule, NO team can replicate what they have right now.

ElginTheGreat and abeer3 like this.
  2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Certainly not the Warriors themselves next year either, finally.

3. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

We do this because the Lakers have always been an at least 2 all-star franchise when winning titles. I agree with you though, next year when Durant leaves things are opening up. You still truly need 2 stars to be able to win it all though, GS will still have Curry and Klay, 2 stars. Boston may add AD, Tatum may be a “max” player in a couple years. Maybe Kyrie and KD go to NY and there’s 3 max guys with a shot to get out of the east instantly. IF our current star was say Kawhi, I would agree that we could go the strong team route around him more and contend, but because LeBron is going to be 35 next year (and like 50 in NBA years) I do think we need that 2nd, and even 3rd max guy to win it all.

ElginTheGreat, TIME and LTLakerFan like this.
  4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Fair point. Thought the only two actual title contenders are those with two superstars. Sad but true.

5. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

I'm not saying we dont need another star but the narative seems to be ONLY the likes of Kd, Leonard, Irving, Klay or nothing. We say we shouldn't be wasting Lebrons remaining good yrs left but yet alot of folks here and maybe even mgmt. thinks its OK to roll over the cap AGAIN if we miss out on those 4 elite names. Why can't we consider the lesser stars and build a better fitting roster instead of playing out another 1yr signing and "HOPING" AD walks through the door in 2020?

ElginTheGreat, Toneloc and abeer3 like this.
  6. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Ohhh, I see what you’re saying. No, I don’t think that’s the plan anymore, I don’t think LeBron will stand for that to be honest. Hell, I wouldn’t if I were him. I think Plan A is those guys, and yen there’s plan B’s like Kemba, Jimmy Butler, there’s got to be some Plan C’s as well. I think they go all out to trade for AD if they only land a plan B or lower guy, and I still think they go after him big time with a top tier guy. The cap cannot over another year, it just can’t, LeBron is on a timetable and our window is NEXT season, maybe the season after that if LeBron is more superhuman than we think. But no, I can’t see a cap rollover, I think if we strike out in free agency we try and trade for like Beal for example, I could see LeBron asking for a trade if they try and pull a cap rollover rather than just putting together a competent roster with a decent 2nd guy and shooters.

ElginTheGreat and Khmrp like this.
  7. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I wish we'd consider Randle back as near top of B level choices if no A level comes.

8. Toneloc

Toneloc - Rookie -

i was under the impression that this notion was gaining more traction in recent months... of course we want all-stars, but if that doesn't happen, which seems somewhat likely, we certainly need to have a plan B/C.

Khmrp likes this.
  9. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Da f***?!?

You can't go 1 to 2 and then back to 1 again? When it comes to tier 1 max players, it's supposed to be 1, 2, 3! Don't f***ing stop till the cap runs out.

Tell em Shaq!

Cookie likes this.
  10. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

11. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

We do need two as well as good pieces around them. Like abeer said, the only two actual contenders you named are GS and Houston (the two teams with two stars). No one else really has a chance. Lebron was so good (not sure yet if he still is on that level...have to wait until after the injury) you might have been able to construct a contender around just him (if Durant leaves GS). But the second best player has to be on the cusp of a top-tier, max guy. Someone like Kemba Walker. Ingram as your second best player isn't going to cut it.

abeer3 likes this.
  12. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

so then what, roll over the cap and waste another yr if we can't get one of those tier 1 guys? you know how stupid we'd look doing that? Sorry man, AD aint walking through that door.

13. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I agree. We can't keep rolling it over every year. But like some of us have been saying, there are ways to construct a good team around just James and still maintain cap flexibility. If you make good signings, those players are easily moved. Randle at his rumored 12 million a year contract he wanted. That's an asset you can move. Sign good players and not only can you move them if you have to, you can probably even score a late first rounder out of them. Just don't sign Mozgov at 12:01.

abeer3 and Weezy like this.
  14. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

look at this mgmt, do you think they know how to make good signings? lol...seems like they only think doing 1yr signing is the smart signings

15. vasashi17

Look at the free agents this summer...do you think they're all Paula Abfools signing 4yr 30% max deals or are they the wiser knowing they're one year away from signing 5yr 35%max deals, if they opt in and get traded or a 4yr 35%max if they walk into space next summer?

Cap rolling over to next summer should not only be anticipated but it is the smart play for Kawhi, Kyrie, Klay, Kemba and Butler as well as the Lakers in getting a 1 yr preview to see if whoever they sign this summer works with Bron...if not, then AD's up next summer to walk into that space.

And if folks think it's pipe...nah, pipe would be an idiot and their agent signing a 4yr 30%max deal this summer when they coulda signed a 1+1 to get into the 35% bonus or taken a 5yr 30% max deal instead of 4. Dummy...

[​IMG]

Btw, 1max guy is all that's needed to contend??? Really?!? Someone's f***ing up the rotation again.

16. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Yep cause ALL of our 1yr signings over the last several yrs have worked out GREAT.....I wonder where all those teams are right now with those cap rolling plans for max FA, oh yea thats right in the LOTTERY, with exception of the clippers:Magic2:

17. vasashi17

Oh look another clip reference...

[​IMG]

cLips were 2nd in the league in 3pt %age, but did they out-Golden State Golden State? Nope.

That non-lottery team was a miraculous 31pt comeback game away from being swept, where the games weren't even that close.

Props to your squad for being scrappy and earning that comeback and that Game 5 win against a fatcatitis dubs team. I guess smash ball worked to some degree. But werent you the one knockin it?

Either way, the summer will reveal all...but hoping for a better version of MozDeng instead of gunning for a legit 2nd max guy??? Knock it out haha

18. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

If Lebron was younger, I think we could get away with him being the only max. You'd surround him with two 2nd tier players, a bunch of promising young players and a few vet mercenaries.

BUT, Lebron is on the wrong side of 30 and will start declining. Here's where you need that other max guy to take the pressure off Lebron some during games and when Lebron need to take games off. Ideally I think it should be another wing, a Kawhi/KD player. Sprinkle in with the young guys we have, (a little concerning is us having to pay them soon) and a bunch of ring chasers.

Though I am curious if we will start looking at G League talent to fill out the rosters too. They aren't always super talented but they play hard out there and we might find a diamond in the rough.

sirronstuff and abeer3 like this.
  19. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

again not saying we dont need a max, just saying that if we miss out on the likes od kd, klay, kawahi, we shouldnt roll over the cap again and do a bunch of 1yr signing

20. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Absolutely agreed.

We can't afford to roll over cap anymore. We had that luxury when most of our young guns are still on their rookie contracts, and utterly wasted those years imo. But at some point they need to get paid and the #newold2maxplan gotta go for something else.

abeer3 likes this.