Movies Thread

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by John3:16, Oct 6, 2014.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

No problem :D

I was on the fence about the movie after the first trailer, but after they convinced me the volcano was in Act 1 I was at least a little intrigued. Now I'm probably out. I don't plan on going to watch this movie in theaters.

The original had (my favorite contemporary author) Michael Crichton's fingerprints all over it. He wrote the book originally, he helped pen the screenplay, and was generally involved. Not to mention of course Stephen Spielberg working on it puts it on an entirely differently level as the sequels. The Lost World had some good moments, but eventually flew off the rails. The third and fourth movie have felt like completely different franchises just barely attached to the original. These Jurassic World movies are completely off the wall. I didn't love the first one like many did and this sequel... well the trailer told me what happens already. :D

2. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    Just saw Rampage. A bit cheesy, but still fun.

And just how many movies a year is "The Rock" making exactly lol?

TIME and Lakeshow85 like this.
  3. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    I wish The Rock would go back to making movies like Walking Tall or The Rundown. Really anything but movies where a ton, too much CGI is used.

4. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    I absolutely loved A Quiet Place. And I think it helped me that I went into it completely blind. Didn’t see any trailers or have any clue what the premise was. All I knew was that it starred Jim Halpert.

I’m curious what some of you didn’t like about it? I thought it was very unique and well crafted. There were a lot of little details and every scene ended up being important and having some sort of payoff.

Lakeshow85 likes this.
  5. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

There were a lot of small directional mistakes like framing certain scenes the right way and locations set up. A good example is they never really framed the water pipe as a threat, but suddenly the room is flooded to exactly a threatening level. Worse than that though, the lid to the baby is off, the baby's breathing apparatus is off, and the monster is somehow in the water. Why is the monster there? There were no monsters at the river/waterfall. How did the monster get in? Was Jim stupid enough to leave the mattress off? And if it was that easy/obvious for the monster to get in, then why didn't it happen the first time when the monster was thrashing around?

For that matter, why wasn't the family in there all the time at night? If they'd crafted a soundproof room, why not spend most of their time there instead of around the house? Especially at night when it's harder to control the noise you create?

And when Emily Blunt gives birth, her baby is just randomly perfectly swaddled and silent? Newborns cry a lot.

Then there's the premise: they never show how/why the creatures are resilient. They say they're resilient, but the only time we ever see one attacked, it gets blown up by a single shot gun to the face. If that's all it takes to kill one, the military agencies around the world should have easily been able to figure this out. Not to mention as well, protecting yourself should be fairly simple. Bring some noise makers along with you on every hike. When you accidentally make a noise, just toss a monkey with some cymbals nearby and let the monster attack it while you slink away. How about they use the barn, play some pop music on loudspeakers and then lock and light that thing on fire? Blow it up with some explosives? Not to mention, if we'd known they were hunting by sound, wouldn't we start experimenting with sounds that hurt them far, far faster than this? It's been a year and nobody had thought to try different frequencies?

There were plenty of good things too. I thought the way that they used sound, especially with the deaf actress, was brilliant and unique and interesting. The suspenseful moments were solid and well handled for the most part. It just wasn't amazing, it was okay.

Barnstable and John3:16 like this.
  6. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Everything TRD said plus:
    They've been there ~480 days and no one thought of fortifying the place? Besides the safe room underground, the rockets and the lights, it all seems very open. For a guy who seems like he knows what he's doing (morse code, fixing hearing aids, sand) you'd think he would have more traps laid out.

Overall its a unique/somewhat-original movie but there's a lot of holes they create to make the plot what it is. I'd very happily watch a more survival movie based in the same world.

therealdeal, Barnstable and John3:16 like this.
  7. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

They didn’t have doors on most of their houses lol. Why? Did the creatures bust through every door in the neighborhood?

therealdeal likes this.
  8. ThizGuy83

ThizGuy83 - Rookie -

Medical healthcare professional
    Limiting the amount of sounds. I thought the movie a quiet place was pretty good.

Lakeshow85 likes this.
  9. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I haven't seen Quiet Place, but it seems like certain movies just get a little buzz and reviewers get this pack mentality, almost as if they don't want to be left out. I felt that way with Get Out. I really enjoyed it. It was a very good movie, but I just didn't see a movie that deserved the praise it got. Thor Ragnarok was another one that seemed like a runaway train. So many of these movie reviewers these days are just kids with websites. I just cant take Rotten Tomatoes seriously anymore.

sirronstuff and John3:16 like this.
  10. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

So it’s easier to make sure you NEVER make any sounds in your house while you’re there most of the time, than to just make sure your door doesn’t make a sound when you close it? Nah

If they just closed up the houses and added doors they would be so much safer.

therealdeal likes this.
  11. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I’ve been sick so I watched a bunch of movies this week.

Jumanji Welcome to the Jungle: Pretty good. Fun family friendly movie for the most part, I can see why it did so well.

A Ghost Story: Weird. Artsy. Good? I dunno, I enjoyed it ok I guess. Also, longest pie eating scene of all time. Literally, Rooney Mara eats a pie onscreen for like 10 minutes.

The Shape of Water: Good movie, super weird, beautiful to look at. But best picture Oscars winner? Really? I don’t know about that one, it was good, but looking back years from now IMO it will be on of those “this won best picture?”.

The Hitman’s Bodyguard: If you like Ryan Reynolds and Sam Jackson there really isn’t much to dislike here. Both were great in it, it was funny, had some awesome action scenes, I was pleasantly surprised by this one.

Pitch Perfect 3: Well, it was better than the 2nd one, but that’s not saying much. Had they stopped after the first I don’t think anyone would have minded, it’s the only one that feels like it had a point or should have been made.

Free Fire: Fantastic cast, funny, not too long, just a fun little action movie with guns, guns, and more guns. I love Sharlto Copley, more of him is always a bonus, like with Andy Serkis when we get to see him act outside of mo-cap roles.

Ingrid Goes West: It was ok, pretty much what I expected, but maybe not quite as dark. No really funny to me for a dark comedy, but it wasn’t bad.

Birdman: Weird in a great way. Loved how it was shot, almost all in close ups with the camera following each character in their scenes, pretty much brilliant acting all around in a film about acting. Really, really good, but definitely weird and not for everyone, very ambiguous ending.

Justice League: Finally saw this. Meh. It was fine, it had some good stuff sprinkled in there, Wonder Woman yet again being the standout. Not enough Superman though, actually felt a little rushed at 2 hours, and if we call Marvel villains thin, this villain was like rice paper. Marvel simply does it better.

TIME, therealdeal and Barnstable like this.
  12. sirronstuff

13. alam1108

So looks like Moviepass is going to s***. This month they got rid of the "1 movie a day" plans and now it's 4 movies a month. Which is still a good deal considering ticket prices.

But now this morning they aren't allowing you to see a movie more than once. There goes my plans to watch Avengers 100 times.

It was fun while it lasted.

TIME, Lakeshow85 and sirronstuff like this.
  14. sirronstuff

I bought a large popcorn and large water at Cinemark yesterday, and I think it was $14+

After being in other countries were you can bring in your own snacks and it’s not a big deal and tickets go for under five dollars, all I can do is laugh at our system here in the US.

And because I have worked closely with Cinemark as a customer and know how much money they have in the bank, I find the price is extremely offensive.

Get off my lawn lol

TIME and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.
  15. sirronstuff

16. sirronstuff

OK, this is for those of you that have seen Marvel's Infinity Wars. You just gotta click on the link to see the comments

:Laugh::Laugh::Laugh:

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2018
  17. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
    Saw A Quiet Place last night.

It was alright. I didn't mind how quiet it was at many parts of the film, glad people in the audience kept quiet too. That's like the worst movie to attend if you have people in the audience making a ton of noise.

There were just some scenes and situations that made little to no sense in how they would be possible:

1. Stepping on the nail and still being able to walk on it even after a day had passed.

2. Having their baby in the span of like 5 seconds because that's how long the rockets where exploding and covering the sound. Labor and getting the baby out takes a lot longer than that.

3. This isn't really a problem with the plot or movie but damn, that girl not only was responsible for killing her brother by giving him the toy space rocket but turning off her hearing aids and it not affecting the monsters thus making her dad have to sacrifice himself... Disappointed in her!

I also didn't mind the ending, makes me think there could be a second one in the future. Cool concept for a movie, just some exaccusional things could have been better, more thought out IMO.

7/10

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  18. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
    I don't know anything about this but it's Jordan Peele, so naturally I'm intrigued. The mans got the touch right now..

Barnstable and Lakeshow85 like this.
  19. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand

Can't find anything about US and Jordan Peele for March 2019 on IMDB. I did find this: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3963226/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_2

I wonder if they are the same movie, with a name change..??

20. alam1108

Saw Tully, it got a little weird but then it all made sense, somewhat.
    Charlize Theron was great.

Weezy likes this.