Mosgov And Deng Situation

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by Khmrp, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

what do we do with these 2 going forward? I can't imagine either one being happy with the current playing time situation but I guess when they go and look at their bank acct. they wont be complaining. However with one being totally glued to the bench, can we even salvage Deng to someone? I offered a trade scenario on realgm along the lines of

Deng, Hou 1st, Chi 2nd for Asik, Pondexter, NOP 2018 1st pick lotto protected (not to much interest obviously lol)

As for Moz, I think we should just cut our loses this season and buy him out or stretch him, somebody out there will pickup him up and aleviate some of our cost (whatever he signs for off-sets what we buy him out for)

2. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
    Sit them out on the curb like an old sofa and hope someone takes them?

3. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

Trade them, buyout or stretch them both in the 2018 offseason.

The capspace they eat up won't really hurt us until then anyway.

lakerjones and therealdeal like this.
  4. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    I'm not an expert on this, but here's how I understand stretching a player.

After this season, we could waive Mozgov - in fact, I think we could do it now and have him count for having only three years left on the contract and at 48M total. We could stretch that over seven seasons (2*3+1), to about 7M per season. Just thinking about what the market for him would be, I can't imagine anyone paying him more than $6M per season. Let's be cute and suppose that he plays for three more years after this - the length of his original LAL contract.

Salaries don't offset at 1:1 when someone picks up a player who has been waived. The formula is: 1/2 difference between new salary and minimum vet salary for season in which he's waived. Minimum for him is about 2M. The difference there is 4M (6m-2m), so we'd reduce our responsibility by 2M per season for those seasons he's employed.

This means we'd be responsible for:
    2017-18: 5M
    2018-19: 5M
    2019-20: 5M
    2020-21: 7M
    2021-22: 7M
    2022-23: 7M
    2023-23: 7M

That sounds awful, but a) I'm not sure it's accurate and b) I'm not sure it's worse than being responsible for ~16M for three more seasons.

johnnyboy and Khmrp like this.
  5. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand

If you just put it out there no one will take it. If you put a "For Sale" sign someone will steal it.

6. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I think we should turn the swearing filter off for this thread. We're going to need ALL the words to properly tackle this.

Alcindor, KB24, sirronstuff and 4 others like this.
  7. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    haha

Cookie, lakerjones and Juronimo like this.
  8. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Do you know how buy out works? Say we buy out Moz for half of what he's due and then signs with another team for like 6mill a yr for 3yrs, how do we get hit cap wise?

9. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

i really appreciate everything mitch did for this franchise, and he did some great things

but i don't think anyone appreciates these two parting gifts he left us with. thanks mitch
    :DNO2::Ingramsawinglogs::PauExplode:

lakerjones likes this.
  10. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Honestly I may be more upset with the crappy protections he built into the picks we traded for Howard and Nash. If we had more reasonable protections, we wouldn't have had to tank so hard the last couple years.

11. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

I blame the pick issue on Nash, dude was greedy....he couldve signed for mle which was still 6mill ish but for that extra 4 mill he f'd us, mitch deserve some blame cause we needed a pg and Nash was best available but if you gona ring chase dont be greedy

12. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    If that's what happens, then the 7M figure I suggested would be less, and so would the 5. If you're Mozgov, though, would you walk away from that much money?

Assuming I'm right about how to calculate these things - and it's from looking at the CBA - then the 48 would go to 24, the total would go to 3.4M per year, and the 6M a year figure would drop our responsibility to 1.4, 1.4, 1.4, 3.4, 3.4, 3.4, 3.4. Much more manageable, but double that if we stretch Deng, too.

Khmrp likes this.
  13. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Hard to say at some pt pride/ego would have to come into play...he might lose a few million but at least hedl'd play. I mean i would question Mozgov mentality more if hes content sitting on the bench and collecting a check

trodgers likes this.
  14. therealdeal

There's nothing much we can do for the time being.

- We could waive them (stretch provision), but all that does is get them off the team. We'd still be responsible for their full salary. The way it works financially is that we'd pay them the remainder of their salary equally over the next 7 years (double the length of their contract, plus one). For Deng that means he would eat 7,7142,857 million of our cap every year. Mozgov's stretched contract would be 6,857,143 million of our cap. I'm not positive, but I think you have to have less than 15% of your cap taken by stretched players. This would mean we couldn't stretch anyone else for 7 years and we'd have a guaranteed 14,571,429 million of dead salary for those 7 years.

- We could bury them on the bench for the next 3 years until they leave (especially Deng).

- We could try to package them with a couple of our kids for a good player and a slightly better contract (George + Al Jefferson).

- We could wait two years until the lengths of their contracts are no longer a burden and then try to trade them at that point.

- We could try to trade them for nothing to some dingus team like Sacramento hoping they bite for a "veteran presence" like Mitch did.

15. Mitch

Mitch - Rookie -

These two really hurt, noone will take them in a trade unless WE give up sth valuable and take on someone sucking slightly less for slightly less money...

I know we all blame Management for handing out these brutal contracts but still, we could not have expected that neither of them would provide ANYTHING! Except for mentorship yadadada, but how seriously will the kids take their advice when they suck this hard?

Khmrp likes this.
  16. therealdeal

I mean... the guy was coming off an All-Star year. It's not like he was a bum the day we signed him. He was a bum basically the start of the year when he got hurt, but right before that he deserved to get some cash. I don't blame him for taking the contract.

I do blame Nash for purposely playing enough games in order to cheat us out of cash when it was clear he should have medically retired.

scnottaken, Cookie, 432J and 2 others like this.
  17. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    Realistically: You don't do anything with them until you get the nod from a high level superstar (Hey PG) and need to start rearranging the roster. Makes no sense to buy them out and screw up more cap space down the line if we aren't bringing in high level players.

KB24, LakerFanIam, Cookie and 2 others like this.
  18. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

We're pretty much f***** in this situation. I can see us possibly moving Mozgov with other good pieces, but not Deng, he's untradable.

19. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    One of them doesn't destroy the team, but two of them together makes it so hard for us to make serious noise over the next three years.

20. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Tinafey/Hou 1st for Lopez?

Lopez has 1 more yr on his contract...poor defender but does block shots and efficient scorer.....maybe prokorov has soft spots for his fellow comrade? Lol, hou 1st helps them accumulate assets

sirronstuff likes this.