Militants in Oregon take over federal building

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion and Philosophy -(FORUM CLOSED)-' started by scnottaken, Jan 3, 2016.

1. scnottaken

scnottaken - Rookie -

2. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    I don't know a lot about their motive, but overtaking a federal / government building isn't gonna go over well for them.

3. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

We'll see how this turns out, but I expect it to end like that biker shootout last year where the police kill no one, beat no one, and arrest some or all of the participants peacefully. If this was a Black Lives Matter protest it would end quite differently.

4. Hombre

Hombre - Rookie -

CAT Scan mechanic, helicopter pilot
  5. Barnstable

They're calling them militia instead of domestic terrorists, and I haven't seen any calls to send the military in to kill them. Who's calling for the military to go and kill them?

6. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Montell Williams, for one.

7. Barnstable

He's saying to kill them?

8. Barnstable

Doesn't really matter though.

My point being, nothing will happen to these people. They will be taken into custody with no incidents, even though they're guilty of armed sedition at the very least, domestic terrorism at most (so far).

No one will get beat, tear gassed, or shot (unless one of the "militia" is crazy enough to shoot at the cops. Then all bets are off).

9. Hombre

Hombre - Rookie -

Why do you put militia in quotes?

Agree with their politics or not, they have not destroyed any property, let alone attacked anyone. Ignoring every other facet of the legal system, isn't that enough to strive for a peaceable solution?

You're the one who brought up BLM. Compare the violence that they have actually done, repeatedly, vs the lack of violence of the militia (and remember 1a and 2a, assembly, even as an armed militia).

I don't recall any news outlet referring to BLM as terrorists (maybe Fox, but I disregard everything from them). I can't count how many journalists have called the militia terrorists (which is especially laughable when you consider what terrorism actually is).

I hope for a peaceful resolution, as I do for all encounters. Celebrating death is not good for humanity.

10. Barnstable

Because calling them a militia is whitewashing the situation. Using words that have an air of dignity to spin the situation to the positive and noble. These armed men seized control of a government building in protest of two people that are going to prison. They are protesters at best, committing treason at worst depending on how you see it, but the term militia doesn't fit what they've done. Have you ever heard of anyone refer to the participants in a sit in by Black Lives Matter, at a government location, as a militia? No, they're protesters. Do we give these guys more respect because they're armed, and forcibly seized control of a government building?

They have committed sedition:

[​IMG]

My point is that this will be resolved without violence just like at the Bundy Ranch. Not because they're doing things the right way, but because the authorities won't escalate it by attacking them.

Quite right.

You compare the history of white protesters, murderers, and psychos that have been violent and yet still arrested alive and well just over the past year. Shoot up a Planned Parenthood clinic and kill 3 people... arrested and put in handcuffs with no harm done to the murderer. Biker gang shootout, people stabbed, 9 people shot and killed... you have the bikers sitting around outside with the police like it was a minor tif. A few of them are arrested, but that's all. Shoot, around 2,000 white teens in a giant brawl in Louisville Kentucky with no arrests. That's just a few of them from the top of my head, but there were others.

Compare that to the hundreds of BLM protests, some of the protesters have done stupid or illegal things (a small minority), but let's be real, nothing like I described above, yet have the riot police descend, tear gas and pepper sprayed at the least, and beat or shot at the worst, and this has happened often with BLM protests!

That's my point. Nothing will happen to these guys unless they turn it into Waco Texas 1993 where the Branch Davidians were killed. Think about that. 1993 was the last time you saw of a white armed group protesting any topic, shown in the media, on US soil, that actually died as a result. If anyone can think of any other white armed group that defied the government in protest and died since then, please let me know.

From the FBI website:

"Domestic terrorism" means activities with the following three characteristics:

• Involve acts dangerous to human life that violate federal or state law;
    • Appear intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination. or kidnapping; and
    • Occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the U.S.

Did these guys take the building by force with guns? Yes? Then the term Domestic Terrorist applies.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I expect this to be resolved peacefully as the authorities will not act violently towards these guys. If it was BLM protesters, with guns and taking a government building, I expect it would not be so peacefully resolved.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    scnottaken and John3:16 like this.
  11. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    I agree with you Barns, except the part that nothing will happen to them. Ruby Ridge and Waco come to mind.

The overreach of the government is color blind.

Barnstable likes this.
  12. Barnstable

Oh, no doubt the government will react if they feel they have no other recourse.

The difference in my mind is that this won't be escalated by the authorities. You won't see tear gas lobbed into the building, or any kind of aggression by the government unless all other avenues have been exhausted. In contrast to BLM protests where the authorities often (not always) take the situation to 10 as soon as the authorities respond.

John3:16 likes this.
  13. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

one groups valiant heroes is the next's cowardly terrorist....

I agree with barns, this is an act of domestic terrorism that should be called that.

scnottaken, John3:16 and Barnstable like this.
  14. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Only losers believe in sedition.

15. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

Let me clarify. I think the folks in Oregon have a real case for the feds trampling all over their families right, but I think burning things down and raiding federal building filled with folks that have nothing to do with policy making is not the way to deal with it.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk

Barnstable and John3:16 like this.
  16. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    I've read a couple articles on the situation, but I'm clearly not getting the gist of what's going on. One article says 2 guys were brought up on Anti-terrorism charges and these guys are mad that they're going to prison. The other article talks about land rights. In that article, they appear to have a case, but like you stated, I think they're going about it the wrong way. But if they get their way, I guess they're going about it perfectly. What do I know.

Instead of making this a black and white issue (which the government loves, BTW), we should be looking at similarities between this group, BLM, Occupation Wall Street, and every other group that is fed up with the government and work together for positive change.

Barnstable likes this.
  17. Hombre

Hombre - Rookie -

I'm sorry Barnstable, but that is done of the most ignorant, logically fallacious arguments I've seen in a long time.

1) Stop conflating disparate issues that have nothing to do with each other

2) Learn the differences between them since we all know you won't

3) Actually learn about what's going on there.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/429214/oregon-rancher-protests-civil-disobedience-justified

4) Stop using words like terrorism, treason, and sedition, when you quite clearly have no idea what they mean.

18. scnottaken

scnottaken - Rookie -

I honestly didn't expect this many responses. I'll just say this, if the US government wanted these people dead, they'd be dead with the praise of this militias countrymen. All they'd have to do is claim terrorists took over some building, take them out, and people would be calling it a win for America.

19. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

Technically, they are domestic terrorists.

But I'd put them in the same camp as the Black Panthers of the 1960's - 1970's. Not Timothy McVeys who bomb innocent civilians.

therealdeal and Barnstable like this.
  20. Barnstable

I agree with this.

Nothing wrong with disobedience when combating something that is wrong or unfair.

revgen likes this.