Mash's Official Maverick's Discussion

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by MonsterMash32, Jan 31, 2017.

1. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Nowitzki's one of the good guys... Probably still sings Hasselhoff tunes at the charity stripe.

2. MonsterMash32

MonsterMash32 - Rookie -

we've won 8-3 and are now in 10th. I don't think we'll make the playoffs but I think this will be more helpful than possible a top 5 pick.

Curry is a steal at $3 million and we've got him another year. He's going to want real money after. Salah just had a 16 and 17 on 78% shooting and that's not his 1st big game. But he's only getting 13 min. I get that he's a foul magnet, shoots 55% FT and a good post defender, but still. Btw, Bogut is at 27%! FT this year and a career of 55% as well. Not a huge of per 36, but he's averaging 7, 12 and 2.3 blocks on 66% shooting.

Dirk scored 8, so he's not 200 away to 30,000

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    sirronstuff, abeer3 and Barnstable like this.
  3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i'm a long time mavs fan. i was born in la and grew up a lakers fan, but i moved to dallas when i was 7, right around the time the lakers and mavs met in the conference finals (thereabouts). thus, the mavs are my second team, if you will.

rapid fire thoughts:

there's not a more root-worthy sports figure than dirk, like, ever.

cuban's a j******, but you want him owning your team on the whole. his misreading of the last cba is counterbalanced by the willingness to spend that has marked his tenure.

should they have broken up the 2011 team? probably not, but they were NOT going to repeat. hindsight says keep chandler and let everyone else walk, but even that wouldn't have saved them. maybe a homerun swing was sensible, and i'm pretty sure that cuban thought he had dwight and cp in the bag. in fact, i think dwight's inexplicable waffling in orlando was what derailed that. whatever, he looked stupid in the end.

the biggest blunder, for the mavs, was trading the #13 pick (which their gm planned to use on the greek freak--true story) to save cash for dwight's FA bid. just numbskullery on so many levels.

dallas has a great culture, and players want to play there, just not the big stars. they have a knack for under-the-radar signings, and generally make good trades. they also have the best coach not named popovich, which is HUGE.

i think they're actually in better position than the lakers going forward, despite not having picked in the lotto in years. good vet signings (matthews and barnes vs. deng and mozgov) and scrapheap revivals (curry) have as much value as high draft picks (russell, randle, ingram) in this case.

sirronstuff and TIME like this.
  4. MonsterMash32

MonsterMash32 - Rookie -

Yeah, a fellow MFFL. Sweet. I'm glad you agree we're going to repeat. I don't agree that Wes was a good move, and def not at that money.

5. Purp n Gold

Purp n Gold - Rookie -

Dirk was an easy target to hate in the early 2000's, especially when LA was really rolling in those days. But Dirk slowly became one of my favorite non-Laker players. Of course, his game during his prime was ridiculous, but his story to success is so rich. Everything from losing in 2006, winning MVP the next year while getting bounced in the 1st round by the Warriors, and then eventual redemption in 2011.

Yeah, it's great that he led the team that took the championship that LeBron declared for himself, but the way Dirk did it was impressive. In 2006, Miami's physical play got Dirk out of his game, they roughed him up (we'll save the Wade FTs for another thread). And in 2011, Haslem, Andersen and those other goons were trying use the same physical tactics, but Dirk's game had evolved in a way that he had a counters for it. Lebron was doing Lebron things in that series, but I remember thinking Dirk was utterly unstoppable at the high post. The footwork, fadeaways, takes the basket... it was beautiful.

I also really liked watching Kidd in those 2-PG lineups Carlisle would put out. Fun team to watch.

So, Mash, what are your thoughts on Andrew Bynum? :giggle:

6. MonsterMash32

MonsterMash32 - Rookie -

Waste of a would all time great big man. Even more so than Big Eddy. I know he had the knew injury but just never grew up. As far as the hit on JJ, meh. He's a tough guy, and I think Terry had a dirty against someone in our last game of the regular season.

7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

really? LOVE matthews. lakers would be so much better right now if they had him or someone like him. deng was supposed to approximate it, i think.

anyway, what wes brings in terms of leadership on and off the floor is as valuable as what he does on the floor (which is take the top wing assignment every night and knock down threes at a rate that still worries opposing defenses).

Barnstable likes this.
  8. MonsterMash32

MonsterMash32 - Rookie -

His defense is overrated and he paid $18 million until 2020 for a 3 D guy who is shooting 39% FG. He take almost 8 3's a game almost match Antoine Walker in his must chuck heavy year. He's also very mediocre, at best, on the boards. At 10 or 12 million, I could stomach it a little easier.

9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

at 10 or 12 million, you don't sniff wes matthews in FA. kent bazemore makes more. allen crabbe and evan turner make the same or more. deng makes more.

i think his d is properly rated, and he shoots 39% from three as well. he's appropriately paid for his production/value. i'm guessing the mavs could trade him quite easily if they wanted--but they've claimed they have zero interest.

in sum, 3 and d guy is often used to diminish a player, but there's really only a handful of them in the league. wes is one of them.

Barnstable likes this.
  10. MonsterMash32

MonsterMash32 - Rookie -

Coming off an ACL? I think Cubes outbidded himself again. I don't think a 4 year, $18 million dollar contract from a limited player would be easy to move We're just gonna have to disagree on this one. I expect more than 14, 3 and 3 who's a pretty good but not great shooter, for a near max contract.

11. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I thought it was an Achilles?

12. MonsterMash32

MonsterMash32 - Rookie -

Either way. Major injury. And he hadn't played before we signed him.

13. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Definitely risky, but fantastic player before the injury, and was way ahead of schedule on rehab. I hope he makes a full recovery by next year, because he's not the same player yet.

14. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Monster, might be before your time, but Roy Tarpley was a beast. He had games where he was simply unstoppable. Lakers almost traded Worthy for him. But drugs and alcohol got him.

The Showtime Mamba and gcclaker like this.
  15. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

It was definetely a risky move ... but now with the cap explosion 15 M a year is "starter" money ... not the best contract out there but there are a lot worse ...

sirronstuff, Barnstable and abeer3 like this.
  16. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

YOGI FERRELL !

17. MonsterMash32

MonsterMash32 - Rookie -

203 left before 30k. Should be done before the season lol.

18. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Last night, The Big German was mentioned as sixth in the NBA Career Scoring list.

19. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand

1 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 38,387
    2 Karl Malone 36,928
    3 Kobe Bryant 33,643
    4 Michael Jordan 32,292
    5 Wilt Chamberlain 31,419
    6 DIRK NOWITZKI 29,797
    7 Shaquille O'Neal 28,596
    8 LeBRON JAMES 27,988
    9 Moses Malone 27,409
    10 Elvin Hayes 27,313

Sadly, I can see The Kang getting to #3, with a good change of #2.

sirronstuff likes this.
  20. MonsterMash32

MonsterMash32 - Rookie -

James is gonna pass him soon. When he passed Shaq, his own teammates joked that he was gonna be back to 7th soon lol.