Magic Johnson Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by DOAKLEY8, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

That's a little frightening. My mind went to someplace totally different and Sirron was the level headed one that thought of boogers.

sirronstuff likes this.
  2. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    :ShaqOh2:

lonzojack.gif

[​IMG]

LTLakerFan likes this.
  3. Savory Griddles

4. sirronstuff

5. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

So there's been a solid Spectrum Sportsnet "Connected With..." feature for both Laker Lifers, Kobe & Magic, that was broadcasted this last week. Kobe's interview can be found in the Kobe thread and hopefully when the full video is available for Magic's we can put it in here. He talks about a ton of stuff including Zo, BI, Kuz and Luke as well as the #2018plan.

Here's a snippet on BI:

And here's a few quotes in what he said with the Lakers 2018 cap space...Spoiler: don't worry about a MozDeng reboot:

Being a Magic Stan, I've seen the whole interview and it's impressive how tapped in he is. It's almost like he frequents LB with the type of critiques he addresses in the interview (like Luke not riding the hot hand in the recent Clippers loss and how we need to address our shooting woes). One thing is perfectly clear...the hiring of Magic isn't some ploy by Jeanie to pacify the fan base with a nostalgic figurehead (ie like some of our recent coaching hires), who doesn't know the day to day happenings in Lakerland. Magic seems to be all in and heavily invested in how his Lakers team pans out.

I recommend any fan that is currently uneasy to go watch it, cause for the time being, it will put your mind at rest.

IMHO we're finally in good hands and I'm excited what our new FO will do to get us #17 and beyond.

6. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

^^ I loved that interview Vash. It did make me feel good about the direction we are headed and I think Magic can sell joining this team to a FA or two this summer. I also like what he said about Luke who is learning as head coach along with the young guys and that he makes mistakes as well. We are in good hands, I'm just hoping PG bails OKC as he's still number one for me.

7. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

He is the best fit.

lakerjones likes this.
  8. sirronstuff

#2019PLAN

Kenzo, ZenMaster, alam1108 and 2 others like this.
  9. Savory Griddles

Yep. With him, not much has to change. He essentially serves as a deluxe upgrade over KCP. We'd still have to find a replacement for Brook Lopez and the 18 minutes he spends walking through mud.

lakerjones likes this.
  10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

lol, nailed it. that's how these things work. hinkie's being posthumously canonized for his ability to sell us on later.

sirronstuff likes this.
  11. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Agreed! It was a great interview. I loved the in depth explanation Magic gave about Luke and pointed out the example in the Clippers game (the gm after returning from that long Thanksgiving break) where Magic said both JC and Kuz were playing great and should not have been taken out of the game in the 4th quarter. But Magic made it clear that its fine both he and the players are learning. I also found it interesting that Magic hinted that Luke's assistants need to make sure they are helping Luke out too. He's holding everyone very accountability.

I think it was another thread than this one but my favorite part was the part when he was talking about he and Zo will have a sit down soon after enough games have been played. He wants Zo to share what he thinks is going on/seeing on the film and then Magic said he's tell Zo what he sees. Then Magic said he wants Zo to come to him if he just wants a sounding board to talk life. Rapping, home life, relationships, etc... When Magic was talking about this I couldn't help but smile and see the similarities to how Dr. Jerry Buss took a liking to him his rookie year and invited him to his house and they would talk about all sorts of things or played cards/poker. Magic is taking what Jerry showed him and applying it to Lonzo which is awesome.

We're in great hands!

lakerjones likes this.
  12. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

New old new plan redux: electric boogaloo.

13. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

We don't have the cap space for 2 max guys , at least yet , Magic should stop repeating this .

14. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

By chance is there a link to the entire interview that was done on SSN? Love listening to Magic .... and Kobe talk basketball.

15. vasashi17

Yeah I find that really suspicious as well. But the way he and Rob are talking, makes it seem like they know the details of the team and our cap space...So why continue to make a gross overestimatation....Unless they already know something we don't.

If we stand pat and head into this coming summer, we have right around 47M in practical cap space (which doesn't include any cap holds like Jules, BLo, KCP & Brewski just to name a few).

Stretching Deng moves that cap figure to around $58M in space with Deng's stretched contract being 7.4M in dead cap for the next 5 seasons.

Labron's max is $35M and George/Boogie's max amount is $30M in year 1 of the contract. So if we truly can offer a max deal to both those players we would need at the very least $60M in cap space and if one of those max deals were to include LaBron, we need a minimum of $65M in cap space.

Isn't it bizarre that if we don't stretch Deng and just wipe his contract completely off the books and do nothing more, we would have that $65M in cap space....hmmmm

LT: as soon as I find the full video I'll make sure to post it. Till then, I hope someone beats me to the punch.

16. Savory Griddles

Nance, Deng and 2 future firsts is happening Dec. 15. Why do you think Nance is starting right now? :D

Honestly, if we ship out Nance in a trade that gets rid of Deng, shouldn't we retire Nance's jersey?

tada, alam1108, Kenzo and 2 others like this.
  17. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Technically there's some rules/regulations/whatevers that mute the max by a tiny bit. They'll end up closer to 34, 29, and 24 million respectively for the three max tiers.

But yes, we don't have two max slots for anything other than maybe two max deals for 0-7 year players. That tells me Magic and Rob have a plan in place to get more money freed up. I wonder what that plan is.

Cookie and LTLakerFan like this.
  18. vasashi17

Grids, I'd be so heartbroken to see Nance go, but if it's for Brony/Georgie, I'd drive him to the airport myself.

Kenzo, therealdeal and LTLakerFan like this.
  19. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

:Shaqlaughing 2:

20. Savory Griddles

But how beautiful would that be? Nance gets traded away to get rid of Deng and the next night we retire his jersey and have a full blown ceremony. For his present, instead of giving him a nice car, we give Nance a pickup truck with a trailer that has a giant pile of dung in it.

Juronimo, Kenzo, Cookie and 2 others like this.