Magic Johnson Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by DOAKLEY8, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

This is the problem though. Regardless of what is happening with backstabbing, Magic quit...now. Why would he do that if he thought we were getting that second max guy? He could sign the second max guy and then quit July 15th with the "My work here is done. I came in and delivered." Why does he do this now? It tells me he knows nobody is coming.

2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

That's what Jalen Rose was saying in the video discussion with Windhorst a few days ago.

sirronstuff likes this.
  3. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

There's a few narratives that are hyperbole and consider the source.

Woj was born and raised in Bristol, CT....not too far from Boston. During the decade long Cbag-Lakers rivalry, dude would have been in his early teens to early 20s.

Knowing that backdrop and the Laker players that have history vs the cbags, would the guy have bigger issues against the Logo, against Kobe or against Magic (& Kareem)?

Now look at the tweets:

Even in his current press tour after Magic stepped down, dude goes in on Magic and a Buss, while essentially giving Rob a pass. But just based on Woj's tweets, you can see the devisiveness and how it contradicts the current Rob narrative today.

I'm not questioning Woj's sources or the tremendous work he does in delivering actual news. But its hard to ignore his anti-Laker analysis particularly after Magic came on board and it was blatantly obvious during the AD trade deadline.

Oh no doubt that scares me. I would have liked to see the free agent get grabbed before he stepped down. I still find it comforting that he said he would still be part of the pitch if Jeanie allowed it.

Maybe entering back into the AD trade requests is something he had some pause with since the last time didn't turn out so great. Who really knows.

All I know is if you follow the timeline, Magic/Rob have exit interview with Bron on April 6th...Magic has a 3 hour dinner with Jeanie on April 8th...Magic steps down April 9th. He met with all the important parties within those few days...and I'm guessing he felt a certain way to how Rob conducted himself around Bron on the 6th, brought it up to Jeanie on the 8th, didn't get the response or feedback he was expecting and then just decided it wasn't the space he wanted to be in. He probably didn't want to be next to Rob any longer.

Either way, I'm still going to give Rob (Kob's guy) a chance. There is something more to this and I'm thinking someone did Magic dirty, but I just want to get back and get #17...Rob's still here so Im hoping he can utilize our current situation to the fullest. Cause if he does, we certainly will be "back, back".

OmarE likes this.
  4. LakerFanIam

LakerFanIam - Lakers 6th Man -

I'm bored with all these "analysts" trying to get in Magic's head. The guy has a very successful & demanding life outside of the Lakers. Go check out http://magicjohnson.com/company sometime & you'll get a sense of just how many ventures Magic is involved in. For whatever reason, he decided he wanted to go back to focusing on his Businesses.
    There doesn't have to be some type of Soap Opera Drama or Backstabbing...

Big Mamma Jamma and Juronimo like this.
  5. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

then maybe he shouldve thought of that before taking the job?

IE Lakers likes this.
  6. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

From what I’ve read (still trying to find the posts/tweets, etc), Woj’s source is literally Rob. Apparently he has had zero inside Lakers sources.. until Rob. So I don’t expect the pro-Pelinka tweets and “anti”-Magic tweets from Woj to dry up anytime soon.

7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i will say that owning the media has been helpful for some. morey's stint in houston is partially defined by his utter ownership of espn. the media has turned a blind eye to harden's antics (imagine if kobe played that way) and to the circumstances surrounding paul's delivery (imagine if the lakers got a superstar via trade in that fashion) because morey has built up so much good will, imo.

8. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I love how everyone on ESPN came to Harden's defense when Don MacLean actually said what most people know deep down is true. But with the CP3 trade, I'm not sure why there wasn't a bigger stink about that. ESPN can only do so much to protect the Rockets on that. The people who should be complaining are the other GMs as they are in direct competition with the man. Yet OBVIOUS tampering was going on and not even a peep. This actually gives credence to the reports that Pelinka is loathed around the league. GMs flipped on him right away.

KB24, Lakeshow85, Cookie and 2 others like this.
  9. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Yeah I'm just like everyone else in that I'm upset at how Magic left. He should have faced his critics and seen this through.

But frankly speaking from just his health alone, he really didn't need all the bulls*** that came from the media.

I remember you saying stuff about Woj in the past, Weez, but I never really saw the clear bias. Since leaving Yahoo! and taking on the ESPN banner, dude's been real extra when it comes to anything Lakers oriented.

He even tried to make it a point that Kanter chose the Blazers over us. Hey guess what Woj...he also chose the Blazers over your Cbags.

Big Mamma Jamma and Lakeshow85 like this.
  10. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

So...am I the only one that kinda wishes Magic was still here? He sucked but if I had known that Rob was going to stay on after magic stepped down....I woulda chose Magic over Rob easily.

Big Mamma Jamma and KB24 like this.
  11. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Which is why it seems fishy that he stepped down. Could be the drama with Rob/Jeanie. Could be the drama that was alluded to by @fabfourlakers (hope I got the person right?. I’ve heard rumblings of the latter on one of the Locked On Lakers as well.

Knowing Magic’s ego, he would have definitely wanted to be the guy that turned this franchise around. It might have even cemented him as the best Laker ever. No way he steps down if he knew one of the big fish were coming.

abeer3 likes this.
  12. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

he's the BPO, he has the power to do as he pleases...only way I give him a pass is if Jeanie told him no to firing Rob and/or others but he also acknowledge that Jeanie did give him power to fire Luke (and luke still got wired w/o him here).....backstabbing or whatever is all part of the game, its unfortunate that it happened to our Org but that also just shows you one of the draw backs of not being a full time exec, you dont know the on goings behind your back till its to late.

13. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
  14. sirronstuff

15. sirronstuff

16. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Can we just lock this thread and throw it in the asylum?

trodgers, OX1947, Kenzo and 4 others like this.
  17. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

Get rid of this one and that tank bs thread. Get that trash out of here.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  18. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Deal...

19. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

20. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

LOL you'll never do that. You love the Tank threads.

:Noddingyes:

sirronstuff and LaVarBallsDad like this.