Magic Johnson Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by DOAKLEY8, Feb 21, 2017.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

The only thing I disagree with is Russell and Randle being meaningless in terms of body fat percentage. It's far from meaningless for them. Randle's is too high if he's getting this tired all the time. I've spoken to some Kentucky fans and they said this is something he's always dealt with and that's unacceptable to me for a professional athlete. It's your job to run that floor, go do it. At 23 years old he should be able to run all day.

I agree that Zubac doesn't need to be in the single digits, but 18% is still bad no matter what. He could change his body dramatically this summer for the better.

Other than that, the argument again comes to the point: I think we're both right and that this board is getting hung up on the words Magic used. You and I and Zen are right that the BMI argument is a poor one because it doesn't take into account musculature, ideal mobility, and because not everyone needs to have a low body fat percentage to be in great shape. I think Zen meant it as a shot, but the point stands: Magic wasn't the most cut up guy on the court but he did fine. The key is he did fine and our guys didn't.

The takeaway from this shouldn't be getting hung up on BMI and BF%, it should be that we're holding the kids accountable to improving themselves this summer. Last summer we heard from Clarkson and Russell and Randle that they were (in no order): better conditioned, better shooters, smarter, more aggressive, more explosive, etc, etc, etc. Did it really seem like Randle was in better shape than he was his rookie year? He may have been stronger, but that doesn't help. Did Russell or Clarkson really look stronger and more explosive? Not really. And none of them really shot the ball from distance a lot better.

I don't know. I still don't understand how this could really be construed as a net negative.

2. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Sure did :)

Loved Magic the player. Despise(d) Magic the public persona.

therealdeal likes this.
  3. therealdeal

Zen you're not the embodiment of your name these days. :D

LTLakerFan and ZenMaster like this.
  4. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

He's taking his cues from Phil.

5. alam1108

The important thing is to get the these guys where they can play with consistent energy for 30 plus mins a game. Ingram played the most and actually looked better as the season went on. Randle and Russell especially looked gas even though playing what, 24-28 mins?

LTLakerFan likes this.
  6. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I hope real is correct in his assessment of Magic just having poorly expressed what he wanted out of them. With all this power, Luke and Rob and Kobe hopefully would keep him from something stupid in the personnel area. Because with all that power he's Boron on steroids if he overdoes this more footballish / drill sergeantish / old school approach.

7. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Thanks real, you put some things in perspective for sure. I do think that Zubac will be under 15% relatively soon, and that's good for him. For Randle, I just wasn't sure how much it impacts his stamina. It's entirely possible that it does, although the kid is not exactly "fat". :)

therealdeal and LTLakerFan like this.
  8. therealdeal

I hear you. I think Randle can do better that's all. His conditioning is an issue, but no he's not fat. I think if anything he may be carrying too much muscle around right now as well as a little too much fat. If he went from say 256 to 240-245 he'd probably look pretty ripped up. Probably have better stamina too.

lakerjones likes this.
  9. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    The title change

:Laugh:

10. sirronstuff

11. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers 6th Man -

I don't care so much about specific numbers but I do like the message. More is expected than we've been getting. Most of these guys do not understand what it is like to play ball in top notch shape. They have never been there. Once you do experience that most do not want to go back. Most put out little spurts of hard play and then suck gas. They need to feel what real ball is and learn to be professional. The ones that can't need to go. I know times are different and players have their feelings hurt easier. However, they still need to train and be professional. Coaching staff needs to be a little sneaky. Lots of skill drills but an element of conditioning built into everyone. They get into shape but don't even realize they are conditioning. Worker bees like Ingram, Nance, Brewer and Nwaba are what we need. Those guys could play extended minutes game after game and are the ones fun to watch.

Cookie, Barnstable and LTLakerFan like this.
  12. KRL

KRL - Lakers 6th Man -

John3:16 likes this.
  13. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Just a heads up. Aand yes, I know this is the Magic thread, but I couldn't find the Rob P. thread which I thought we had a front office one

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  14. alam1108

Magic is representing Lakers at the draft lottery.

#1 pick confirmed.

15. therealdeal

This ended up being pretty tame. It was cool of Rob to do it, but there's honestly not many answers he can provide to the questions we really want to ask. He didn't commit to a "no-trade list". He didn't commit to all the young guys. He couldn't say anything about any players on other teams because he can't.

All this did was cement in my mind how serious he and Magic are about improving this team. They have genuinely staked themselves to the task and their intensity to improve is something I already admire. I am more sure of them bringing us around than I was of Mitch the last few years.

TIME, sirronstuff, gcclaker and 3 others like this.
  16. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

That's good.

We as fans want to know but as a good negotiator, you should never show your hand.

17. sirronstuff

First attempt at this. Does this concept have potential?

[​IMG]

18. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

:Laugh: You have to ask? You're so modest. Except for your Lawrence of Arabia Most Interesting Man with one Left Eyebrow AVI.

Yeah, has potential and may set a record for your longest running gif?

:Kobe Snickering:

Cookie likes this.
  19. sirronstuff

Yeah, almost 80 frames from scratch, but trying to build it so it's fairly easy to make new ones.

thought it might be fun to take famous baby pics/gifs to do this in a "Muppet babies" kinda way.

I think I found Janie Buss lol, or another Jeanie option

[​IMG]

20. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    yeah it was really tame, the only surprising aspect of it was that he actually took questions from fans over the phone. Mitch would never have done something like that.

Rob told a lot of the same stories from the exit interview presser so that was kind of boring, but I understand he can't get into details.

therealdeal likes this.