Magic Johnson Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by DOAKLEY8, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

the bucks co-owner just got fined

sirronstuff and ElginTheGreat like this.
  2. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I don’t get all these excuses. Nobody is going to the Kings because Shaq owns like a hot dog stand there. Magic is the PRESIDENT of basketball operations, and he doesn’t seem to realize it, he still thinks he’s Magic the beloved NBA ambassador. He needs to stop volunteering stupid information. He also IMO looks bad coming out of the talk/talks he had with players in Philly about the trade deadline, Rondo said he guessed it didn’t work as they lost, McGee mocked it all by saying he didn’t get any tingly feelings, and I forget what other comments were out there.

I also don’t like that he said the Pelicans didn’t negotiate in good faith, I’d rather he say “I’m not going to get into that” or lie and say yes to keep public relations between teams good. I was heated about how the Pelicans dealt with us too, but Khmrp is right on that one, LeBron and Rich Paul went behind the scenes and tried to strong-arm AD to the Lakers immediately because it’s what they wanted, of course the Pelicans were going to be mad and act salty and petty. I got mad at people here for babying our players for playing so bad with the trade rumors, but I’m not TEAM PRESIDENT, if you’re Magic you don’t come out and tell the media to quit babying them. They’re upset because LeBron clearly tried to get them traded and they know it’s going to happen again come June or July, so choose your public words more carefully.

Magic has no tact right now, that’s my opinion, and I don’t love it. Don’t like how we’re starting to see a pattern in giving up too much in trades either. Svi and a 2nd for a more proven guy in Bullock, ok, that’s pretty even, it’s fine. But Beasley AND Zu for Muscala? I wasn’t even a big Zu fan and I think that’s too much, Zu was producing as a starter, that’s a bad trade, especially with the buyout market coming. We could have bought out Beasley if we wanted him gone that bad. I’m glad we landed LeBron, but I think magic deserves a fair amount of criticism for a lot of his moves beyond that, trades, signings, waived/dumped players, even some very questionable draft picks this year (oh and chewing out Luke and letting it leak publicly, yet keeping him on as coach anyway). What Rob does I’m not even sure, he seems to be in the background all the time cooking up new stories to tell.

3. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

yep everybody around the league knows every other team tampers but they love it even more using the tampering card and colluding against Magic/lakers but some thinking that Magic should continue this route of being "obtuse" and deliberatly taking shots at others is a good idea? This hating/colluding against Magic and the lakers is only going to get worse the louder magic mouth gets.

4. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Keep "Trumpeting" Magic should act like a president...the f*** does that even mean in today's world.

Pels released our trade package...why wouldn't he be mad and call them out on "good faith".

Magic's built a business empire outside of sports and y'all are going to parade a podcast host as how you should conduct oneself in a business like the NBA...even equating it to Jim Buss.

Congratulations...

[​IMG]

blanko and abeer3 like this.
  5. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

yea i'm sure Pelicants are going to be quite thrilled the next time magic calls this summer about AD :Magic2::Lebronsmoking:

sirronstuff likes this.
  6. vasashi17

^^^Now wouldn't that be a conspiracy?

Anyways here's a contingency: 2019 Free agents....2020 AD.

Tell em to have fun dealing with Danny knowing dude will be on a rental. Call us back if y'all have a change of heart tho.

#TinFoil'n

abeer3 and Khmrp like this.
  7. Weezy

I see you really have no argument because you keep referring back to one random tweet I posted (of many I could have) that I felt represented whole the situation well. If I deleted that tweet my points would still remain, and yours wouldn’t. Try arguing in good faith in the future. As for how a team president should act, I said it, with tact, not through the media, but behind the scenes, it’s that simple. I didn’t play myself, Magic got played by LeBron, Rich Paul, and the Pelicans. He needs to learn how negotiating works in general, and then find out how negotiating works with each particular front office before he comes to the table next time. The Locked on Lakers podcast pointed out that the Pelicans are Spurs bred front office, which means they don’t really negotiate. Apparnetly like the Spurs, you make your best offer to them first, they take it and rank it among all the other offers they got and take best one, or none at all. If “Irwhine” is aware of this, shouldn’t the Lakers be? It seems plausibe to me too, as we reportedly made a weak first offer including Rondo and Lance or Beasley, and as also pretty recently reported, the Lakers and Pelicans never really engaged in serious trade talks after initial contact/offer was made. I just hope Magic and the FO learn from this, I want us to succeed, I’m not rooting against Magic, it’s why I want him to do better.

IE Lakers, SamsonMiodek, tada and 4 others like this.
  8. Weezy

That’s not really how negotiating works in the NBA, I’d think. This isn’t a mob movie or Wall Street companies going after eachother’s throats. I’d imagine in the NBA a little good faith has to be built, deals have to be negotiated in a direct and business-like way for sure, but I’d think with an overall friendly tone/professionalism if you hope to do future business or not have every team turning against you.

9. vasashi17

Did the Pels conduct good business at the deadline? Who leaked our package? You honestly think it was us? Maybe Jim Buss did it? (#TinFoil'n)

Meanwhile here are comments made before AD's trade demand:

Nah...there's no room for good business in today's climate.

#TheArtOfTheDeal

10. Weezy

Right, that’s how they’re looked at, and like I just said, teams don’t want to deal that way or with that. That’s literally what I just said, we have a negative perception issue right now.

:Crazyartest:

ElginTheGreat and Khmrp like this.
  11. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

Did I just read James and Paul are mafioso bosses of the NBA? HHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA. Those guys are gangster bosses like I'm into raves on Saturday nights.

Give me a freakin break. If Lebron was a mob boss, he would have been able to get schmoes to Cleveland for 11 years. But he couldnt, because he isnt a boss and Cleveland sucked. Rich Paul a boss, hahahahahha. What a joke. I wouldnt have that guy pick up paper clips at Office Depot, let alone be my career agent.

The only reason why Lebron has pull is because God made him an athletic freak. That's it. Once he loses his ability to play basketball, his worth will be living of basketball and that's it.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  12. vasashi17

Long before Magic at the helm with his Klutch mob to do his bidding...the Lakers were hated on.

We've always had a negative perception...what's your point?

Anyways, your point was Magic should play nice...he tried. And now it's time to summon the mob.

As for the mob, how did Klutch/Bron play Magic again? Klutch Klient AD angling to come here one way or another. Klutch Klient Simmons reached out to Magic for advice...meanwhile the Pels are a losing organization and now their franchise player wants out. Yet Magic got played? Stop playin'.

You really taking your stance from dudes on a podcast lecturing Magic, the dude that spent a month on a yacht this summer, how to do business? I respect everybody's hustle, but come'n man?!?

Anyways, do you...

13. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

I am not sure what the problem is - their FO contacted ours asking if Magic could help one of their players with some advice, considering he is the best "big guard" to ever play the game. If Magic feels generous, sure, he could help. It's just one FO talking to the other. I'm totally OK with this, and I am OK with Magic helping Simmons. Why not?

14. LooN3y

LooN3y - Rookie -

RJ hit something I was feeling when I heard we gave all 5 trade options off the bat.

Like they were so confident that these 5 options was offers they couldn't refuse and sent them.

If they slow played it or if they it didn't leak that AD was going going to re-sign or sign with the lakers only it might have played out differently.

In a perfect world, West would of been that 'assistant GM' or in lakerland he would of been a senior/special consultant (whatever title the clippers gave him) but you know Magic's ego wouldn't of allowed that.

But West/Magic/Rob woudlnt of been that bad. Hell, West/Magic/Mitch how bout dat .

tada, Khmrp and Weezy like this.
  15. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Quote referring to Magic. Now there's a cringe worthy gif sirron.

:Crazyartest:

:Laugh:

Cookie likes this.
  16. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

lol, rich paul didn't put the pelicans in a bad way. the pelicans put the pelicans in a bad way, rj.

anyway, media can keep hatin', but they are going to get LESS than what was offered by the lakers last week. davis is going to leave, and they're going to suck for probably ever. this isn't rich paul's fault.

and again, people acting like anthony davis is a bullied child or something. he wanted out and wanted to get to la quicker. he could have said no to all of this. he could have fired paul after the fiasco. but he didn't. why? because he's not a bullied child. and he's not a commodity. he's a grown man with agency that doesn't want to belong to danny ainge.

as for magic, my misgivings regarding his FO acumen are well-documented. i don't think he's a sharp talent evaluator, and he's been behind some terrible decisions. but he IS part of restoring shine to the brand, which is paramount in the post-jim buss era. gotta take the good with the bad. got lebron. did some bad stuff. what's next?

17. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Well, all the other stuff aside, I don’t see the benefit here.

Honestly I think it makes us look more like amateurs than bosses. You can promote the franchise and our interests without looking like you are tampering.

It’s obvious the rest of the league is concerned about us getting back to championship status. No need to toss things like this out there.

Cookie and Khmrp like this.
  18. ElginTheGreat

As far as the Pelicans, I stand by my comments a few days ago. They shot themselves in the foot by passing on that deal. It was too much and there’s no way Ainge will actually offer them anything better. Demps won’t be there much longer and honestly I don’t see the franchise lasting there for long.

We can really just sit back and watch that fall apart.

19. ElginTheGreat

This is a telling quote as it’s very obvious the other teams and their owners don’t like the rise of LeBron and company. We will see how much that ends up benefiting us in the long run.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  20. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

if Magic doesnt plan on revisiting this AD trade in the summer i can get behind your take but if they do still wanna get it done, you think this approach is gona make pelicants more amicable to dealing with magic this summer?