Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by DOAKLEY8, Feb 21, 2017.
We let other teams have their shine for 5 plus years.
Those days are done.
Magic is now again the greatest Laker of all times. This move will once again change our fortunes going forward.
Look at that constant - Luol Deng.
Laker for life...
Can you imagine? washed up Tony Parker instead of Lebron James? Jeez
...Frenchie signed on for two years. I read that and did a double take.
From thinking he was going to die soon after the HIV announcement to what he's brought this LakersNation this off-season with the help of many others is incredible.
I admit I was a little skeptical that Magic could turn this around this quickly, but what he has done in less than two years is truly remarkable. The one thing I don't want to have happen though is for Magic to get all the credit. Rob Pelinka deserves a TON of credit as well. He's the dude who was likely the architect of the cap clearing trades. He put the ball on the tee for Magic.
I think they also have a press conference scheduled for Wednesday too. Magic and Rob that is.
This was a really great watch and listen. I recommend every one to try and watch the whole thing if they can.
All the major and interesting quotes:
- Rob found out Lebron chose LA when he was outside on the patio at the Lakers Facility getting some fresh air. Got a text from Rich Paul that just read "Congrats" (with balloons). Then he called Rob minutes later congratulating him and the Lakers again.
- Magic said he found out when he was at home and got a call from Rich Paul and Lebron's lawyer. Funny enough Magic said that the call just simply started out with the lawyer talking through the contract and getting confirmation on what the Lakers were offering and the numbers. Magic asked does this mean he's coming to the Lakers. Haha
- Magic said Rob and himself had been planning on what tell Lebron about the team for the last 5-6 months in what they felt would be important to Lebron.
-Magic said on the night free agency started he was supposed to be there at 9:01 but got there at 8:01 because he was anxious and had to wait an hour.
- Magic said Lebron is one of the smartest basketball players he's ever met. He said Lebron didn't want him (Magic) to sell the Lakers to him. He didn't want to hear that. Magic said he already knew the team (Magic joked almost better than me) and Lebron broke the roster down right in front of him. Kuz likes to do that, he likes to do this. Loves Luke's system. Lebron said he just wants to come and be able to play basketball and be me. He told Magic I think you have the type of roster to be able to do that. Then Lebron had a list of stuff he wanted to talk about, questions for Magic about coaching staff, how Rob and Magic ran things, and he really wanted to know about Jeanie because he can't wait to sit down with her and have a strong relationship (Total opposite of Dan Gilbert).
- Magic said the thing that impressive him the most is that he knew every single guy on our team. their strengths and weaknesses, and excited about how the young guys performed last season.
- The list Lebron had didn't raise any concerns, Lebron just wanted to know overall what the core mission of this team was about. Lebron also mentioned this decision will be important for his family, that was certainly part of it. There was not talks about length of contract. Lebron on that front just wanted to be comfortable with the man or lady in charge so Magic and Jeanie.
- Rob said that Lebron choosing the Lakers really salidified that he and Magic had done their jobs. Mentioned that when they started the team had no cap space and little draft picks to help evolve the team.
- Rob said that before any meeting was lined up with Lebron he and Magic made a decision that they were going to build the roster so that it was going to be different than what Lebron was used to playing with the last 3-4 years (Ball in Lebron's hand most of the time with shooters around him). The keys to Magic in Rob were to build a team that was versatile, that was deep, that was fast, high basketball IQ, and tough. Rob said that has been echo'd in the moves, signing they have made.
- Magic said that Lebron can tell that our young guys are craving for knowledge. Magic said Lebron knows this is the perfect team to compete for the future, not just now because we're young and explosive.
- Magic said Lebron has already been watching our Summer League team a little. Magic said he loves what Josh Hart has been doing and says people think we can't shoot the ball but if you've see Hart and hows he's been shooting the ball, he's tearing up the Summer League. (Magic like Hart a lot).
- Rob said that when he met with Lebron to sign the contract it was all business. They signed the roster, talked about the roster some more, told Rob about the work he's already putting in. Rob said that Lebron brought up Josh Hart as someone he's been watching.
- Rob said Lebron's not looking to make a spectacle about this signing but wants to get to work toward a championship which is why there likely won't be a press conference introducing him at this time.
-Rob said Lebron is looking forward to showing our young guys how to really work even more and how to work smarter.
- Magic said he wants a roster full of gym rats, guys who want to win, compete, love to play the game, love to win, to sweat, and we got all that with Lebron so he can take these guys to work on their mindset and everything.
- Rob said he wants the Lakers fans to understand that he and Magic literally had boards hundreds of them setup for all the different scenarios depending on who signed. It wasn't like "oh Lebron signed and now who do we get" Rob and his staff watched a tons of video on free agents, doing analytics, doing backgrounds on guys preparing for these moments. Because they had a core commitment on what Rob and Magic wanted this roster to look like and be about (high IQ, versatility, toughness, speed, depth) they knew what they wanted to do and what guys to go after Lebron signed. That's why they moved so quickly.
- When asked about if Lebron was able to give his input on who the Lakers went after Magic said he learned from Dr. Buss that you should always include the players. Magic said Lebron has made it to 8 straight finals and won championships you don't think we're (both Rob and Magic) are going to ask Lebron what his opinion and feedback would be. Magic said both he and Rob took that feedback and added it to the package of preparation and work Rob had already done and pushed the buttons to make it work.
- Magic said to Chris Mcgee and DaveM don't misunderstand Rondo, he's just like Lebron with his mind about basketball, this guy is extremely bright, high BBall IQ. Magic said he reminds him of James Worthy in one way because James would always raise his game when it matters most (we've seen this with Rondo in the playoffs the last few years). Magic mentioned regular number of Rondo compared to Playoffs. Magic said we tried to sign Rondo last year.
- Magic said Lance's versatility is what appealed to him most. Grab the rebound and push the ball. Magic said he's been to the eastern conference finals before and loved his mindset, attitude, toughness, and gritty to the team. Magic said we have a bunch of quiet guys, but not anymore with the guys that we signed. He said even Moe isn't a quiet guy. Magic said the guys we signed were also brought in to change this about the team. We have enough quiet guys.
- Rob said Luke mentioned that coming to camp this year outside of Lebron it's all open for whoever wins out the job. Not just Rondo and Ball at point guard. Players are going to be held accountable and be prepared. Magic brought up the point that Michael Cooper would guard and challenge him in practice every day and it made me (Magic) a better basketball player. Magic said James Worthy didn't start when he came to the Lakers, Jamall Wilkes was there.
- Magic said remember last year when I said during the Lonzo intro press conference we didn't have a mentor for Lonzo and they really wanted one. Last season he had to learn on his own. This year we brought got Rondo to be that mentor and push him.
- Rob said the film sessions Lonzo has been doing with Magic has allowed them to see Lonzo's basketball mind blossom even more. Magic wanted Rob to share the special thing Rondo did when he was showing him around the facility a few days ago: Rob said the first day Rondo came to the facility he asked where the film guy was and asked them to pull the film on everyone of the players on the roster so he could start to learn/study their tendencies (Magic hearing the story from Rob again got all excited). Rob said it reminded him of Kobe's genius when it comes to the study part of the game.
- Magic echo'd we still have cap space for next season but can't wait to start this year with this team.
- Rob and Magic said they recently reminded Luke that one of his greatest strengths is managing player personalities. He's is the perfect guy for this locker room in their opinion. Their message is team unity. Magic said they have two outstanding leaders too in Lebron and Rondo.
How far we've come in so little time thanks to Mag (and Rob)
We went from summer of '16 firing and changed coaches (again) to cover our real problem (the FO). Signing ridiculous franchise condemning deals in an attempt to job-save. Winning 26 games.
To have having one of the best youth cores in the league thanks to Jesse Buss and crew. Hitting home runs with the both the 27th and 30th picks in the draft. Lebron James to lead them all, an FO that can close free agents, potentially over 45 million in cap space next summer without having to get rid of our 4 "core" youth. We have a very interesting roster that may play defense the like we haven't seen since the '04 Pistons and the just the environment we need for our young guys to develop. We have the Room exception and a spot left to snag any sweet deals that arise during the year. I'm stoked for the season and even more stoked for next season.
It took 16 months. I thought we would pay for Mitch and Jim's Summer of Idiocy for 3 years at least. Kudos to Magic and sorry for saying you were crazy when you used to talk s*** about our team. You were right and you walk the walk.
Was waiting on that...thank ya sir.
For those that are covering the presser tomorrow, please look out for the rest of us haha.
This tells me that they are comfortable with this team and are willing to proceed as is. Sorry Spurs, but you have no leverage now. Magic should offer a straight swap of Deng and a Dodger Dog for Kawhi; with no onions b****!
This also tells me that LeBron likes the guys that many of us did not want to see packaged like Kuz and Hart. I didn’t notice a mention of BI, and have not seen much on his summer workouts. But I’m sure LeBron would say the same for him. But the silence makes me wonder if he would be the piece to get traded if that comes about.
I’m feeling as good as I did when the Lakers started to their first 3-peat with Phil, Kobe and Shaq. It might be even more fun with the LeBron era because Magic will actually assemble teams that have more talent than any he has played for. So what will LeBron do with that. It has to be good results every year. And don’t even talk about our 2019 free agency possibilities to make the team even better...