Magic Johnson Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by DOAKLEY8, Feb 21, 2017.

1. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Savs: Calling for their heads prematurely is one thing... everybody is entitled to an opinion.

But what I'm seeing is just ridiculous hate mongering towards our FO.

They have made mistakes and I'm not going to shield them on it.

But there's some made up stuff/innuendo about them as well and I'm not understanding why folks are throwing it around as if it's facts.

Magic overruled our scouting dept - where exactly is that coming from? I'm not sure there are any reports suggesting that, but there is an interview with Jesse Buss (head of scouting) that states Magic/Rob like to colloborate and run bball ops as a village particularly when it comes to scouting.

Magic gave himself a 2 summer 2max player deadline - no he didn't. Go back and look at his direct quotes.

Magic has it in for Luke and wants him out - yet Luke has been on the job 2 years after Magic got hired.

Magic is trying to reinvent the wheel by not giving Bron shooters - the best record in the NBA is held by Milwaukee and they 20th in 3pt shooting at 35% (while we are shooting 33%). Magic was right that you can't outshoot-Golden State Golden State. Granted the east is weak, but Bron led a 2nd to last 3pt shooting Cavs team to the Finals last year. The one year the Cavs beat the dubs, they shot worse than the dubs from 3pt land. Bron's never beat Golden State by outshooting them from 3...yet that seems to be the rage around here. 23 games Bron, BI, Zo, Kuz have played together. Forget shooting...these dudes need proper shoe-ting.

If the summer is a failure, the FO deserves blame for sure. But how are we even in position to compete for AD and potentially get a 2nd max guy to put next to Bron? Y'all seem to act like every team can claim the same thing and that s*** is easy to do. Heads have to roll? Yet our FO hasn't even got to pick their own Head coach yet.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

not interested in rehashing what a championship FO did wrong over a decade-plus (though i could debate several points quite easily). nice deflection, though?

the fact that you can quickly write a list of bungles almost as long (accompanied by zero success i the w/l column) across the 1.5 years of this crew should be telling enough.

3. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

so Magic made all those trades, wouldn't give Randle a long term contract and the "back, back" comments was merely just for 1 max FA?

abeer3 likes this.
  4. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Debate them then...that's what a discussion forum is for.

Who's really deflecting? You claim that Magic overrules our scouting dept. Please point me to that reference, cause I sincerely can't find it anywhere online.

If you want to deal with facts...

Facts: 23 games our top 4 players have played together (not counting Rondo). But the lack of shooting did us in.

Facts: Okc has played the most minutes together this season (ie no significantly lengthy injuries to their top players), yet they are the 8th seed at 42-30 right now (while same time last year they were 43-29 after 72 games). It's widely accepted that Presti is a savvy GM. So should Presti's head roll (the guy that only got back Aquaman in exchange for 2 future MVPs in Harden and KD) not even 2 seasons into the Russ-Paula union?

I only bring up Okc cause I know how much you liked Paula to be brought in via trade by our FO.

Facts: West consulted in the Bay and helped establish that team...but he also was in Memphis and what happened there? The cLips been making the playoffs but kept getting bounced out the 2nd round. So Cp3, Blake and DJ are gone...West went nuclear with it. He got back some assets with cap space this summer (and can get 2max slots if they stretch Gallo). We went nuclear too and only BI is standing from the previous regime, but now we have assets in Zo, Kuz, Hart and that Bron guy with a 2nd max slot yet to fill and potentially the assets needed to bring in AD.

I only bring up the cLips cause I know how much you like West.

Facts: Htown didn't get Bron.

I only bring that up, cause I know how much you like being reminded of that.

Facts: After DLo probably hangs a 50 piece on us tonight, I'm sure you'll be more interested in rehashing our FO's futility.

You'll only bring that up, cause you know how much I like being reminded of that.

Anyways, I hope that list is more telling.

5. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

those "reminders" are why so many here dont have any FAITH in Maginka accomplishing the 2nd max guy and from these assertions it sounds like Magic is getting off the hook scotch free if he doesnt' get AD in a trade OR sign a 2nd max FA this off-season. Dont come in here talking all big but when s*** hits the fan, you shift the goal post.

btw- as for OKC ref, Presti didn't go out to the media boasting about signing 2 max guys and being "back, back" and his risk move to trade for PG actually worked out for him as oppose to whatever Magic had planned with PG

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    abeer3 likes this.
  6. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

I'll settle for a Kemba...lol; and boy, if he can't even get me a 2nd tier FA, I'm changing my avi and criticizing him all summer into next season. Believe that.

ElginTheGreat and abeer3 like this.
  7. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I like Kemba too. Lakersfilmroom touched on how he could work well with LeBron.

I think we will land him or someone better. Just not buying that we are out of the running for all of these guys. Feels like people piling on just because its us.

abeer3 likes this.
  8. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

this team is tanking with Lebron on the team, thats why people are saying we're out of the running. Nevermind the circumstances that lead to this tanking...pt being we're tanking with a top 3 player in league.

9. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

LeBron isn't a top 3 player anymore; I think we can say top 10, but top 3-5 is debatable...

10. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

If he's not top 5, neither are KD or Kawhi.

11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

When we thought that in the past, we were wrong, though.

12. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

I'm all for piling on Magic and Rob and Jeanie because it's too easy right now....but I think they deserve a chance this summer.

They messed up last summer, and hopefully they'll learn from their mistakes...but I think a lot of us have zero faith in our FO because of that Zubac deal at the deadline...just showed that they still don't know what thye're doing and continue to give up young players for basically NOTHING.

Granted, we did get Bullock (who I like even tho he's struggling) and Zu is a RFA that we'd likely not be able to keep anyway...but we really cannot have another summer of OVERPAYING for knuckleheads that almost nobody was bidding for (Rondo, Stephenson, KCP...who would give them $9m, $4m and 12m respectively? the answer is nobody). We need to get the right pieces to surround young core and LeBron....that starts with getting a 2nd star...and yes like others have said, I'm 100% good with getting Kemba Walker as he's actually a great fit with the young core and leBron....but man if Magic can't even get KEMBA....that's a major failure.

Khmrp and abeer3 like this.
  13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Very good chance kemba agrees to a max in clt at 12:01.

14. ElginTheGreat

Well I’ve been critical of this plan as much as anyone.

I can’t allow myself to believe we couldn’t even get guys like Kemba though if he doesn’t resign.

abeer3 likes this.
  15. ElginTheGreat

Crazy enough but I think us performing poorly may help. New player would be coming as a savior not a sidekick.

abeer3 likes this.
  16. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

:D That’s a bad abbreviation, took me a second to realize you meant Charlotte.

LTLakerFan, gcclaker, abeer3 and 3 others like this.
  17. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    For the record... I actually do think Magic and Pelinka will lure a 2nd star.

I just think they are too dumb to make something out of it.

1.5 years and this team is worse today than it was a year ago with 50% of their grand plan accomplished. It doesn't matter why they suck, they do.

I can confidently say most their moves were not just bad but outright ridiculous. If they have proven one thing, its that they can't construct a cohesive unit.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    revgen, tada, LTLakerFan and 6 others like this.
  18. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately, I agree there. I mean, I certainly hope we’re wrong, but...

LTLakerFan likes this.
  19. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

:D I did a double take as well.

20. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

awww...you're precious. i get it, too. but we've been here. it was when greg monroe (thankfully) chose milwaukee over us.

or they don't even care to? i wonder if houston's success with the "throw s*** at the wall" cp/harden pairing has been problematic for us.

and i don't know what agreeing to a max in...what you're thinking that was...even means. *shudders*