Magic Johnson Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by DOAKLEY8, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Lakeshow85

Lakeshow85 - Rookie -

:Magicwow4::Laugh::Sunglassguy:

He is actually ranked 17th in assists and tied for 27th in scoring at an actual (31st) place. Scoring based guards are a dime a dozen. We see it all the time in drafts, but guys like Lonzo are rare.

2. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

That projects to about a 54-28 record...and for the record, the 3rd seed to the 8th seed in the West currently have 27 or more loses with about 12 games to go.

DLo and Jules could have helped us get into the playoffs this year...but more than that, if poor health impacted just 2 of our top 5 guys, we're probably still in the playoff race.

And if we're still playing the shoulda woulda coulda game...

Moz/DLo accounted for 23m in salary in exchange for just Kuz's 1.7m towards our 2018/19 books for a net difference of 21.3m in cap space. Nance/JC accounted for 14.8m in salary in exchange for just Moe's 1.8m towards our 2018/19 books for a net difference of 13m in cap space. One of those packages clearly netted much more capspace.

So hypothetically if the JC/Nance trade still happened while DLo remained and Moz was moved for Dwight, then you still don't have enough to grab Bron unless you renounce Jules's 12.4m caphold

Deng buyout 14.3
    Dwight buyout 18.9
    Jules RFA caphold 12.4
    DLo 7
    Zo 7.5
    BI 5.8
    Moe 1.8
    Kuz 1.7
    Hart 1.7
    Zu 1.5
    Svi 1.4
    Bonga 1
    Incomplete roster charge 1.8
    = 76.8m (25.1m in cap space)

Some of you guys clearly want to see whatever it is you want to see. I just don't understand how folks will base an argument that Magic/Rob were at a rush to judgement towards DLo and Jules, yet those same fans are doing the same thing towards clearly an unfinished product with 23 games together of clean health to it's name.

The FO set up an opportunity to have Bron link up with Paula and still hold onto Jules...that opportunity was nixed by outside forces. Yet some of y'all put it strictly on the FO. Really?

trodgers likes this.
  3. Kou

Kou - Lakers 6th Man -

Both sides like to use certain things to their own benefit in arguments including you.

The point with DLo is they immediately shipped him. They could of traded him before the draft or at the deadline for a first round pick and cap relief.

At the end of the day, they did great in getting a top 5 player but did an awful job surrounding him with the necessary complimentary players in my opinion. Jules was probably gone anyway so I’m not too hung up on his exit.

But, Beasley, Lance, Zu, Brook and DLo are all on this FO imo, but they said three years, so they should get the time to rectify the situation.

Khmrp and abeer3 like this.
  4. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    No, he is 9th and 15th. Maybe you’re looking at per game averages. I’ve been told that perX stats are no good.

Are there a) a dozen guys at whatever rate you’ve set as DLo’s rate? Are they a dime a dozen or near max players? I can do the leg work for you later.

Top picks playing less than 100 ganes in two seasons are rare. Anything else he does will only make him rarer.

Khmrp, abeer3 and ElginTheGreat like this.
  5. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Guards in the top 40 scoring and top 20 assists. I used per game stats, as it is a little less kind to Russ.

Trae Young*
    Conley
    Doncic*
    Holiday
    DeRozan
    Westbrook
    Kyrie
    Devin Booker
    Lillard
    Harden
    D’Angelo Russell*

* = rookie contract

That’s not a dozen. And they aren’t cheap.

sirronstuff, abeer3 and ElginTheGreat like this.
  6. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Jeanie and Magic have to take a serious look at themselves this offseason :

First , they have to admit they were wrong ( they still have not) and have to start over . Your team (Jeanie) is the worst in the league for the latest 6 seasons , stop living in the past and think "we are the Lakers" is enough cause no , you aren't anymore . You need to build a whole new culture.

You need to reassess :

- the way you build a team ( you actually need to build a real one , not signed one year rentals for cap space purposes)
    - your coaching staff
    - your training/medical staff

Basically , a mini revolution has to happen this summer .

Do I believe such incompetents/and or full of themselves as Jeanie and Magic are going to be aware of this and can do this ? Unfortunately not at all .

If it doesn't happen this summer , we all can forget about the Lakers until there is a new owner .

abeer3 and alam1108 like this.
  7. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Last post on this. I'm honestly sick of posting this stuff, because I don't think it's good for the board, but I find it disingenuous when people make some of these claims.

What it costs to get the kind of production D'Angelo Russell offers (just guards)...

Assists
    .5 ranked just ahead of Russ:
    ..Kyrie (18.9), Fox (5.5*), Harden (29.5), Holiday (26.4), Young (5.8*)

.5 ranked just behind behind Russ:
    ..Booker (2.5* then 27.3), Lillard (28.0), Conley (30.5), Rubio (13.8), DeRozan (27.8)

..Hield (4.0*), Conley (30.5), Doncic (7.1*), Holiday (26.4), McCollum (26.7)

.5 behind Russ:
    ..Lou Williams (8.0), Butler (18.5), Young (5.8*), Murray (3.7*), Hardaway (17.7)

Players hitting both criteria:
    Jrue Holiday, Trae Young, Conley

Average for asts: 18.9m
    Average for asts - rookies: 25.1m
    Average for pts: 14.8m
    Average for pts - rookies: 21.3m
    Average for both: 20.9m
    Average for both - rookies: 28.45m

So, the earlier data shows it's not a dozen - there just aren't that many players who can do what he's doing.
    This shows it's not a dime. It's expensive - like 15-30 million.

He's not a Laker, though, so he's not your problem.

8. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

The record with those guys in the lineup is fools gold imo, skewed to make us look better than we were. Reality is this was a terribly constructed roster and our coaching staff couldn’t make it work, it was the perfect storm of bad on all sides, management, coaching, injuries, trade deadline talk dividing the team, etc. All the other stuff you brought up is what it is, agree to disagree. If anything what I see is Magic/Rob probably doing the Russ/Randle thing with Zo/BI this summer too, shipped off before potential is reached to get LeBron help. Hope I’m wrong there though.

On topic also with all this stuff, I can’t recommend this particular episode of the Locked on Lakers podcast enough. LFR and Irwin break down why our lack of shooters hurt us in every aspect of our offense and why shooters suddenly forget how to shoot when they get here in the first bit, and LFR breaks down Luke’s system and how it did us no favors in the second. It’s truly insightful stuff and worth 30 minutes of everyone’s time (3/21/19 episode)

https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/lockedonlakers?selected=LKN5538605303

Khmrp, sirronstuff, abeer3 and 3 others like this.
  9. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Folks, including management, have to just admit they were wrong on him.

10. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Yeah. This is a good one.

11. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

I don't think it's fools gold when it comes to these 4. 23 games out of 82 ... It's all we need to know though

Lonzo and BI can't stay healthy , Lebron has insane mileage .

If your best players aren't available , the rest doesn't matter too much ( your others arguments are still correct though).

Pb is : Lonzo and BI to a lesser degree will have to prove they are not injury prones , Lebron isn't getting any younger .

This isn't just bad luck .

12. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

In a league of soft, pampered players, you have to adjust to players being out now. Sprained ankles now are month long injuries due to the weak minded players and executives not wanting to take chances. We can thank crater face for ushering in that over in San Antonio and it diseased the league from there.

And for those blaming injures, the planets, the stars and UFO's, well, when your executives have traded young all stars and let go of other young players like they meant nothing, AND, you didn't value any of the current young talent, you get this.

alam1108, Lakeshow85 and Khmrp like this.
  13. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    This is beautiful insight. The kind the board has been missing for awhile. Moar plz.

14. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

on pt here!!!

15. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

f*** Magic for that one too.

Khmrp likes this.
  16. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

I haven't given an outright pass to the FO. I've given em s*** for the BLopez and Zu moves in particular.

But part of it is seeing it through a different lens than the majority, until it becomes blatantly obvious that the majority was correct (ie playing devil's advocate).

Folks are being selective: we sold quick on DLo, so it must mean BScott got in Magic's ear and they never gave the kid a chance. Yet those same folks are conveniently leaving out what Luke might have said...what the current players might have said and even what the Mamba might have personally said to Rob about DLo...folks are conveniently leaving out those Details.

We extended a qualifying offer to Jules...that's not just paperwork. We intended to match offers he would have got on the marketplace. It's no different than what the Nets chose to do with DLo. They give Dinwiddie a team friendly extension and chose to take the RFA route with Russ...does that mean their FO is mismanaging the situation?

Boogie was out with an Achilles in late January. Yet weeks later, the Lakers traded away JC/Nance to open up more salary cap to fit in 2max players (with a slight paycut) and still having Jule's 12.4m caphold on the books to match any offer he got. So if Boogie is out effectively with the injury and Cp3 can only use the over-38 rule to get a bigger bag with Houston and KD was establishing bird rights with the dubs to get a larger bag (5yrs 221m w/dubs vs 4yrs 164m w/other cap-having teams), then opening up that extra cap in February was for a 2nd max was particularly for a "hellbent" Paula and noone else. Kawhi wasn't even in the equation till June. So that cap clearing move at the trade deadline was for Mintz's guys: Paula & Jules.

Mintz gets to bring Paula home and secure a bag for Jules. Bron comes in via Kcp @ 18m the previous summer. RichPaul, Mintz and the Lakers...Everybody is happy and something was clearly in the works due to a 500k tampering charge against Rob.

Also if you think we can dump Russ at a later time...you can't ignore that his first season in BK was injury plagued. If we tried to attach him in a Moz dump later, there's a chance his value is even more sunk and the Nets don't take a deal where he could be essentially an expiring deal as a RFA.

But folks keep seeing something different. Mintz and his camp clearly screwed up something that appeared to be in the works.

I'll definitely look into the pod...thanks for sharing.

And I do agree..we will just have to agree to disagree here.

I was anti-FO for the previous regime, so I know how you guys feel. I was there. But I sincerely gave that group a chance before I wanted them out. These guys are not even 2 full seasons on the job yet. After taking 1 season to pretty much clean the books, you gotta see if their ultimate vision is realized before we can call it a failure.

17. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

why do you keep assumping if Pg comes we would've had cap for Randle? We didn't, his cap hold needed to be released and how do you know mgmt. intended to match offers for Randle? They basically allowed him out of his bird rights hold for a deal lesser than what he asked for in the beginning of the season (the rumor of 12mill annual)

18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

at what point do we know that the vision has had a chance to become fully realized? how much roster decimation and asset depreciation is allowable in the interim?

Cookie, ElginTheGreat and Khmrp like this.
  19. bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy - Rookie -

The Randle stuff is a bit revisionist. In order to have cap space this summer, which we knew we needed once George wasn't coming, we could only sign him to a 1 yr deal. He took a 2 year deal with a player option, but if he had a bad season or got injured, he would have definitely taken the option and we would have had a harder time clearing cap room to sign someone. It would have been smarter to give him the QO and then try to figure something out but we renounced him, which was a bit head scratching. Though the way Luke treated him that last year it was pretty obvious he wasn't a part of our long term plans.

On Russell's point, this has been discussed to death. He's obviously improved a lot, and his 3 point shooting would help. But it's also obvious he has the green light to be a scorer on meh efficiency over there without anyone really saying anything. No way he could ever do that over here. Plus, don't forget he's about to get max'd this summer. Even if he did stay here, we would have lost him for nothing at that point. Since I don't think anyone one this board would offer him the max right now, but some team will.

20. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

it can't be revisionist if people were saying it at the time. and they were.

the only reason we won't offer him the max this summer is because we'd look even dumber, imo. if he had never played for us, he'd be at the head of the tier-2 guys we'll be considering when all the big fish stay put. a 23 year old all star guard perfectly suited to a modern offense? if his name wasn't d'angelo russell, isn't this on the wish list for the max?