Luol Deng Discussion: No #Dengdump, Rather Stretched Into Cash

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by trodgers, Jul 2, 2016.

1. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

40 million over 11 years.

After he is waived.

Let that sink.

Damn.

2. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

When your contact is so bad, they have to come up with unprecedented ways to make you go away. Luol Deng, ladies and gentlemen.

3. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

whatever works, not like its our money lol

LTLakerFan and therealdeal like this.
  4. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Clever tactic Mr. Pincus. I still would use Randle or Clarkson to trade Deng with for a cheaper asset/pick and a lesser contract that we can stretch.

True, its not our money, but it would get really annoying for all of us armchair GMs to look at roughly $4M in dead cap to maneuver around in any plausible FA/trade scenario for the next decade.

5. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

if it was that cheap to move deng, wouldve been done long ago

6. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I am totally opposed to rewarding suckiness.

What the hell is this, and how does this make sense? I am deeply disturbed by this.

Bizarro

[​IMG]

FYI, it's much cheaper to hire a hitman. It might even be more ethical than paying someone 40 million to never play again lol.

7. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately I'm not sure that's going to work. To trade for Randle and take on Deng, a team would basically be willing to pay 30+ million for Randle for at least the first two years of his contract. Is there a team willing to spend that much for Randle? That's a max salary for at least a 7-9 year veteran.

The same essentially goes for Deng and Clarkson who together would be making around 30 million dollars as well. In order to send Randle with Deng to move the deal, you're looking at probably including a 1st round pick as well to grease the wheel and maybe get something half-way valuable back.

This way would preclude losing a valuable asset like Randle or Clarkson just to dump a bad deal. We could still potentially move one or either of them in order to clear more space (I suspect Clarkson at this point because his money is guaranteed), but it wouldn't be a necessity. It's a clever move and for only 3-4 million a year, it's something definitely worth considering. We'd be able to save all future draft picks, our two young assets, and any other young player we've got. The only caveat is what would Deng be willing to do? For him, I don't see a downside. He takes a few extra million and still gets to go get a new job where he can compound the contract and maybe over the next 11 years he earns 50 million instead of 40 million.

If the Lakers and Deng can sit through a full season of no movement, this could make both parties happy. It'd also be a good-guy move by our FO since this staff owes Deng absolutely nothing and we'd still be looking out for him.

Obviously ideally he just gives back all his money, but how likely is that? Not to mention the NBAPA would keep him from giving back too much and setting a bad precedent.

jbiggs likes this.
  8. vasashi17

I hear you Real...its going to be tough moving those contracts in a straight up salary dump. But for example, I'm thinking more along the lines of taking on a Tyson Chandler type deal back and then using the stretch provision on a contract like that. That way the other team will throw in a lesser asset or pick for Randle or Clarkson and then its a swap of bad contracts with Deng and Chandler (in this example). Obviously that way, we save millions in dead cap and for far less years.

Deng = 7.4M for 5 seasons
    Chandler = 4.5M for 3 seasons
    Deng (Pincus 40M extension route) = 3.6M for 11 seasons

abeer3 likes this.
  9. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

Just eat the rest of his contract and chalk it up to a bad era and move on. You’ll make the money back.

OR

Play his a** every game until he is ready to collapse on the floor to get every penny out of him you can. We are going to lose a good number of games anyway.

But for gods sake whatever you do don’t have his name attached to this brand beyond this contract and don’t pay him a penny more.

Cookie and sirronstuff like this.
  10. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

so whats the other team benefit for taking on a longer deal in deng if you expect other team to pay with smaller asset for jr or jc?

11. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    I dunno paying him 11 years...thats insane.

I would personally rather just deal him with a first and be done with it.

12. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

He'll be dead before ... DO IT MITCH !

sirronstuff, alam1108 and LTLakerFan like this.
  13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

think they already tried that. maybe with two 1sts. there's also not a ton of teams who can straight up eat that salary, either.

i still think the most likely scenario is breaking his contract into smaller parts and trying to dump those. maybe you end up with one deal that goes even longer than his, but is closer to what you would have paid in a stretch scenario.

i'm still looking at dallas and chicago right now. dallas wants money to spend in FA next year, but given their failures there, you might be able to coax them into deng if you take powell (9 million per for a couple more years) and give randle's RFA rights. they have an expiring in mcroberts. you lose randle, but you basically gain the cash needed for two maxes, right? or at least you get pretty close.

14. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Hiring a P.I. to find Deng's real age to void the contract still seems like the best way to go.

15. sirronstuff

Play him 48 minutes til he breaks. Use insurance on the contract, and get a medical roster exception from the league once he’s forced to retire.

Cookie, therealdeal and abeer3 like this.
  16. sirronstuff

Pay me to go Tonya Harding on that knee cap

I can think of several better options than paying him more money.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  17. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I think of her and Luol a lot these days. Must be because of "I, Tonya" being out now.

[​IMG]

18. LTLakerFan

sirronstuff likes this.
  19. vasashi17

You got to find a team that values JR or JC. In particular, if a team doesn't have cap space this coming summer and has a bad contract, in essence we can offer them Jules (and exclusive matching rights as a RFA) while we swap out bad contracts. Jules may not be in our future, but another team that knows they don't have the cap and know they don't have the market/culture to draw top free agents, will want a Randle on their team on a somewhat controllable contract. Trading for Jules, the team has still a majority of the year to see how he fits...and then since he's a RFA, they can allow the market to dictate his pay before deciding to match it and keep him. And with JC, he's actually being paid under market value so that's a contract any cap-strapped team would love to have.

Randle by himself could probably grab a mid 1st rounder. Attaching him to Deng and having another team dump a less cap restrictive salary on us, may yield a low/heavily protected 1st rounder for Randle...but I'd still do that deal just to get off of Deng's contract.

And speaking of which, some of y'all are wrong in wishing bodily harm to Deng haha. If someone is going to call up and offer a ton of guaranteed cash, seriously what would you do? This really isn't on Deng....its on Jimmy/Mitch. Deng just did the smart thing and took the guaranteed cash...its a no brainer.

Khmrp likes this.
  20. LTLakerFan

But he came in out of shape and never got in shape (least presence in weight room documented) and all downhill from there. Then was salty when he was benched in the second half after season was dead. Shot for s*** while stating in an interview that shooting and more shooting was his favorite part of practice ritual to do on his own.

So I'm kind of into the bodily harm thing. LOL. Courtesy of Glick:

[​IMG]

alam1108 likes this.