Luol Deng Discussion: No #Dengdump, Rather Stretched Into Cash

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by trodgers, Jul 2, 2016.

1. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I can no longer eat food prepared upon a griddle.

:Magic Shaking Head No:

and it was so savory too

2. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

hahaaahhahahahahaha!!!!!!

3. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

He was 3/4 of the season behind on Kuzma too.

:Lukewaltonlook:

[​IMG]

sirronstuff likes this.
  4. EddieEddie

EddieEddie - Rookie -

I wouldn't give up Hart (and obviously not Kuz) to unload Deng. Zubac or T. Bryant have little tangible value beyond an obligatory throw-in. Realistically it'd take two 1st round picks to unload Deng. Unless some team hires Isiah Thomas as General Manager, they're not going to spend that much of ownership $ for one 1st round pick.

Weezy likes this.
  5. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Like for the quality shot at that petty little punk Isiah Thomas.

6. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I don't think it would cost that much. Most of what I've heard is a 1st, 2 2nds, and a Zubac or Bryant would be enough.

Two 1sts is still worth it to me, but the Lakers have a very high opinion on their draft picks so I'm not sure they agree.

7. EddieEddie

EddieEddie - Rookie -

Heard from who exactly?

8. therealdeal

Pincus. He's been saying it for a while.

Who did you hear the two 1sts from?

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  9. EddieEddie

EddieEddie - Rookie -

No one. I never said I heard it from anyone. I've been relaying my opinion on what I think is realistic for another team to absorb the awfulness that is Deng.

You said "Most of what I've heard" so I thought you heard things from multiple sources and most of them said a 1st, 2 2nds, and a Zubac or Bryant would be enough. So I was just curious, given I've really heard nothing myself, where your info was coming from. It was just a question, not a sarcastic shot at your stance.

10. therealdeal

That's fine. I heard it from Pincus first, it was somewhat corroborated by various people on ESPN710, but nobody else was as adamant about it as Pincus. He was met with a lot of fans who called him crazy, but he challenged anyone else to find deals where it took two 1sts to dump a 2 year contract.

Getting a 1st (not necessarily this year's) and a handful of seconds as well as a decent prospect is actually a very solid haul. Personally, if it took the 2020 pick (protected probably Top 10), I'd trade that with the #25 this year to dump Deng, but like I've said I've heard it can be done cheaper and it was hard to argue with Pincus's logic.

11. EddieEddie

EddieEddie - Rookie -

Did Pincus say which team(s) he felt would do such a deal in terms of taking on Deng for a 1st, two 2nds and Zu/TB? Sure he is being logical in a vacuum but obviously takes two to tango and just curious who feels are logical trade partners.

The closest comparison I have for my stance would be the Raptors salary-dumping DeMarre Carroll and the 2 years 30.2M left on his deal on to the Nets just last summer. They gave up a 1st and a 2nd to do so. Now one would say "Ok then, the Lakers should pay a similar price with a 1st and 2nd". Well, not exactly. Carroll wasn't coming off the best season with Toronto (8.9ppg 3.8rpg 1.0apg) but he at least played and started 72 games and most could see his issues had more to do with being a poor fit offensively in Toronto than anything to do with his skill, or a lack thereof. He went on to be a quality player for the Nets as a full-time starter this season (13.5ppg 6.6rpg 2.0apg), so they clearly acquired him as a player and not just an unwanted contract attached to picks. Deng is older, more expensive and far less useful as a player unless some GM has fond memories of days past. This is why I think it'd take 2 1sts because of the gap between Carroll/Deng.

Another example is from 2013 when the Jazz took on the contracts of Richard Jefferson (1 year 11M left), Andris Biedrins (1 year 9M left) and Brandon Rush (1 year 4M left) and got 5 picks. Two 1st rounders and 3 2nd rounders - which is the deal that allowed Golden State to get Andre Iguodala. This was only 1 year 24M and they got that haul. The Jazz knew the Warriors were desperate to unload and took advantage of it. Everyone knows the Lakers are freeing up cap space and that hurts their leverage in a similar fashion.

Of course I understand these aren't exact examples but if Pincus' defense is challenging someone to find an example of a team trading two 1sts to unload a 2 year deal, my retort is finding an example of a team taking just a 1st, two 2nds and a lackluster young talent for a player that matches Deng right now in terms of contract size, player age and player production. There probably aren't examples of either so really it just comes down to this being a unique situation.

I think there is more leverage from teams willing to absorb a bad contract because there aren't many teams with cap space and there are a good number of teams who'd love to unload contracts (whether to increase cap space or reduce payroll due to tax concerns).

If it ends up costing just a 1st, two 2nds and Zu/TB, great. I just don't believe that personally. Assuming the Lakers even do a straight salary-dump for Deng. Personally I think it's more likely that if he is dumped, it's via the stretch provision OR even a deal more akin to the Mozgov dump is more likely in my eyes.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  12. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I don't buy it either. Would you take back two years of Deng for that package? I think whatever we think it will cost, be need to up it a couple degrees cause as Laker fans, we're always going to think it will cost less than what it does.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  13. therealdeal

Except we all think it'll cost two 1sts and Pincus is someone with more information than we have and he says less than that. :D Laker fans have been pretty pessimistic about unloading Deng.

Honestly I can't say he's very wrong. It's a lot to take back. We took back a 1st for Lin not too long ago. Typically these dumps end up being a little less than the public expects. It's notable when it takes more. Also keep in mind we dumped a pretty fresh 2nd in D'Angelo with Mozgov and actually got useful assets back. I think the 1st/2 2nds/prospect package is actually closer than we'd assume.

14. therealdeal

He brought up Atlanta and Chicago as the two spots and I think those are very likely landing places.

Like I said, I agree for the most part that two 1sts is the likely bill, but his package isn't that far off either.

Deng, 1st, two 2nds, Zubac for nothing back is really not very different than the Carroll example you used. Sure it'd be nice if Deng was more useful, but Carroll didn't look very useful either. I wouldn't say anything about his departure from Toronto was obvious other than the fact that he was absolutely not worth the type of pay he got. An extra 2nd and a useful young player is not that far off from what someone should expect in this trade. Maybe even another 2nd or another semi-useful player, but we're sort of splitting hairs at that point.

Again, I'm of the mind that we're likely to overpay to get rid of Deng if we decide to trade him. The key is: by how much? The Lakers' scouting department has an incredible streak going right now so taking weapons away from them is a risky play. Is it worth it to miss out on controllable young assets to keep Julius around? Because that's what we're talking about really. Dumping Deng has everything to do with keeping Julius and getting two max deals. And if we're getting two max deals, then paying that price makes a lot of sense.

However, if we're not able to lure two max FAs, dumping Deng, or even waiving Deng, makes very little sense. We might as well wait a year, he'll be easier to move next summer and we can use that to help clear more space to maybe make a run at Kawhi.

alam1108 likes this.
  15. EddieEddie

EddieEddie - Rookie -

Brooklyn also absorbed the majority of Allen Crabbe's ludicrous contract and got no picks back.

16. therealdeal

Awful trade for them. I think they assumed Crabbe would be more useful. They should have demanded picks in exchange, I don't understand why they didn't. Who else was taking the precious Allen Crabbe and his contract?

17. EddieEddie

EddieEddie - Rookie -

Crabbe was my Fantasy Basketball Finals MVP. Last 4 games he averaged 25.5ppg 5.3rpg 3apg, shot 56.1% overall and made a ridiculous 23 threes. But yeah, in terms of the whole season, he certainly didn't justify his contract whatsoever. The Blazers were crazy to match it and lucked out big time they were able to unload it after 1 season.

Even after taking on the contracts of Crabbe, Moz, Carroll in salary dumps, they are still looking at having some cap space this summer. Just saying, it might be worth it to float a phone call their way regarding Deng.

therealdeal likes this.
  18. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    If we have to give up too much I don't mind waiting till trade deadline, Ofcourse depending on how the off-season goes because if a crap team is out of the playoff race then they only tackle on one full year of Deng.

19. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    The thing is 2018 is a different year than lets say 2015 or 2013 or whatever.

Teams were wildly dumb in 2016 and entered into a lot of huge contracts with mediocre players...guys like Turner make 17 mio. and a guy like Batum makes 30 mio.

In 2018 salary cap is rare and the market is due for a correction. This will change in 2019 (lots of expirings) and 2020...lot of freed salary cap. So in other words it is harder to unload Deng in 2018 than it would be in 2020 with a similar player with a similar contract.

You cannot really compare different years. It always takes two to tango. Some years its easy to find that second team and some years its hard. Its all a question of timing.

20. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    This will go down as the most uselesss contract in sports...the guy ate himself out of shape the first day he signed his deal lol Kupcrap...idiot