Luol Deng Discussion: No #Dengdump, Rather Stretched Into Cash

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by trodgers, Jul 2, 2016.

1. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

ATL out: Schroder
    ATL in: Deng, 23rd pick, 25th pick

Indy out: Collison, 23rd pick
    Indy in: Schroder

LA out: Deng, 25th pick
    LA in: Collison

Bring in Collison's 10M non-guaranteed contract and that gives us roughly 43M in team salary (including Jules's cap hold). We have 58M in cap space for George and Bron to divvy up between. We also get a backup point guard in Collison. If Bron/George insist on getting their max, then we waive Collison's non-guaranteed contract and we open up 68M in cap space.

Indy has to swallow Deng's contract but they get the 23rd and 25th overall picks and as it stands they also hold the 4th, 19th, 30th and 33rd overall picks. They can easily navigate up and down this year's draft to get the players they want.

Hate that we have to deal with Pritchard again, but they get to bring in a locked in Schroder that doesn't come off the books for another 4 years. And they need contracts like that cause no notable free agent is heading to Indy anytime soon.

alam1108 and Savory Griddles like this.
  2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I think it's a solid idea, but I don't see Indiana ever trading with us. :D

3. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

I like this a lot.

4. EddieEddie

EddieEddie - Rookie -

Even though the deal looks great for Indy and makes sense for ATL, I think both teams will look at the Lakers only giving up a late 1st round pick to swap Deng and his turrrrrible contract for Collison and his delicious contract (whether he is waived this summer or kept as a quality backup PG) and think to themselves that there is something wrong with this picture.

Lakeshow85 likes this.
  5. vasashi17

Oh I get it Eddie. You can argue that the trade doesn't even really need us. I would start with that package, but then if push comes to shove, you can add further assets like Zu, TB or a future heavily protected pick.

Either way, I hope Rob figures out a satisfactory resolution to the Deng conundrum.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  6. EddieEddie

EddieEddie - Rookie -

In all realism, Zubac and T. Bryant have very little trade value and wouldn't push the needle even remotely. Likewise for a heavily protected pick. In all realism, the Lakers would need to include a 2019 1st round pick with say lottery protection the first year and then the protections drop down over time. And that pick would clearly go to ATL. We're talking about the Hawks trading a 24 year old PG coming off a 19.4ppg 3.1rpg 6.2apg season with a very acceptable 3 years 46.5M left on his deal being swapped for a 33 year old who played 13 minutes all season with 2 years 36.8M left on his deal. Even with this press conference, have to imagine the Hawks will insist on more than two picks in the 20s to make this type of swap of solid young player on fair contract for old, not useful player on a bad contract. Plus the Hawks already have picks 3, 19, 30 and 33. I don't think they'd also want to add 23 and 25. They're rebuilding, yes, but 6 picks in one draft is overkill. Esp when they already have numerous young players. Collins/Dorsey were rookies and Prince/Taylor/Bembry were 2nd year players.

As you noted, this trade doesn't need the Lakers and the Hawks certainly don't need to take on Deng. Pacers can just offer Collison, TJ Leaf and a 2019 1st rounder for Schroder and call it a day.

7. vasashi17

Extra picks to climb up or trade for future picks...You can never have enough assets...just ask Ainge and the C bags. ATL needs to nail this draft bad cause they are clearly in rebuild mode and are scheduled to create a new arena with a bunch of downtown metropolitan businesses relying on it. They need a good product in the future. Extra picks can also land a star, so there's that angle.

This trade doesn't really need us, but at the same time, we've seen Pritchard unwilling to bend and maybe he's not willing to give up too much for a player that really isn't going to move the needle that much in Schroder. Lets say the Pacers are unwilling to hand them the 23rd pick, that's where LA can come in with some draft capital.

Btw, when I said heavily protected, I meant exactly what you said...the protections would be in the present and near future and would dissipate over time to finally convey to them as nearly unprotected. Also under this hypothetical, we couldn't really trade the 27th pick along with our 2019 1st rounder until after the draft takes place (Stepien Rule).

All that being said, I definitely understand what you're saying. Deng is going to be a tough nut to crack.

8. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

To do that deal, I give up the Cleveland pick, Zu, and our 2020 pick. And no protections on the 2020 pick even. Anything to get rid of that contract before free agency.

Lakeshow85 likes this.
  9. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Let's face it, with the Cavs looking stale and having nowhere to go, LBJ wants to make a splash to add luster and new excitement to a career going downward by signing with a storied franchise like ours. We will curse Kupcrap because we'll lose another young player in Julius because of his incompetence, what a f***ing joke.

10. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    [​IMG]

Think positive Kareem!

LTLakerFan likes this.
  11. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I think Deng can be moved for two firsts, a second and Hart. That's probably enough. But will the front office value Hart for another 3 years at 6 million over Randle at 50 million?

KareemtheGreat33 likes this.
  12. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    :Laugh:after every SG post, Weezy

sirronstuff and Weezy like this.
  14. vasashi17

I told y'all that orange faced delinquent was not going to make LakersBall great again.. but y'all wanted to go make him a mod anyways. Now sink or swim in the swamp y'all helped create.

15. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

That's a LOT. I think it could take less. A 1st, two 2nds, and a lower rated prospect like Zubac or Bryant would be an absolute haul for just two bad years of a guy. Especially if you're a team like Atlanta or Chicago who aren't likely to compete for at least two years anyway. Hell even Dallas.

16. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

I’ll come in and certify that Deng has root rot. That way we can cut him open, count his rings. That will prove he’s older then he says and we can void his contract. No way I give up Hart for his corpse.

17. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

No freakin way. Josh Hart is the epitome of a player that is on title teams. No effing way.

18. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

trade deng for a cheaper contract n stretch that contract, i.e. Asik, Falicio, kanter, etc.

19. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

Wait out 2 more years. Don't risk losing anymore UNLESS it's to free up money to sign a big signing and you only give up draft picks and marginal talent like Zubac or something.

alam1108 likes this.
  20. Toneloc

Toneloc - Rookie -

exactly

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and Cookie like this.