Luol Deng Discussion: No #Dengdump, Rather Stretched Into Cash

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by trodgers, Jul 2, 2016.

1. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    They just saw Dung's waistline and concluded that Nike would ran out of cloth to make his jersey

Weezy, Juronimo, therealdeal and 2 others like this.
  2. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

We need to play him for the simple fact that some of our guys are playing way too much out of necessity.

Luckily we don't have a back to back the rest of the season.

Juronimo and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.
  3. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    The only thing Deng needs is seconds at the buffet

KareemtheGreat33 and Cookie like this.
  4. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

...has not happened yet but Deng is grounding us.
    [​IMG]

5. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Pincus thinks Zubac/Cleveland 1st/5 mil cash (most you can offer)/2nd would be enough to move Deng.

2 1sts/2nd/cash would have multiple suitors in his opinion.

6. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

Great news!
    What's the most we can offer Julius if we dump Deng in that trade and sign lebron and pg to max?

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  7. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

If we have the chance to move him with only giving up draft picks, that's all fine with me.

I'm done trying to groom players. We have our core now, we have money now. It's time to roll ahead and not have to think about the draft.

8. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

The max if you wanted to, it was the cap hold of randle that tied into our cap space for 2 max. W/o deng randle cap hold is no big deal.as long as randle allows mgmt to chase the 2 max 1st, we'd have randles bird rights so we can give him whatever salary he'll accept up to max lvl

Punk-101 likes this.
  9. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    If Deng is the rock, what is IT? The pebble

10. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Feels like mitch/jim deserve more punishment for mozdeng then just being fired

Savory Griddles likes this.
  11. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

Thanks! How much is left of the cap after pg and lebron max?

12. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

@therealdeal youn can help here lol.....to much intricacies for me

13. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator - Rookie -

If there could be multiple suitors for 2 1sts + 2nd to dump Deng's salary, I do that in a heartbeat. My fear has always been we would likely have to attach Kuzma to any Deng Dump deal...and that would suck, because I think Kuzma could be an allstar if he (drastically) improves his defense.

Having said that, although our scouting team has been fantastic... the odds would be small that we could get a player that becomes as talented as Randle with our 2 first rounders.

If we can pull off the Deng Dump, It's too bad Cousins tore his achilles. Him and PG would have been the perfect fits to the existing team position wise.... Cousins plays Center, Randle plays PF, PG at SF, Ingram at SG, Ball at PG.

ironically, now we might have to "settle" for Lebron. We'd probably end up playing small in the front court but extremely long in the backcourt with the starting line up of:

Randle
    Lebron
    PG
    Ingram
    Ball

14. JohnnyComeLately2k6

JohnnyComeLately2k6 - Lakers 6th Man -

Data Vampire Buckaroo
    [​IMG]

15. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

A pet rock? He’s a rock that just stands there while his man scores on him at will.

Battle Tested20 likes this.
  16. therealdeal

Sure! @Punk-101 here's the sitch:

If we can trade Deng/Zubac/Cleveland 1st/2020 1st for no salary returning we're looking at total salary of roughly 34.8 million. That leaves about 66.2 million or so to spend with a roster of Randle (cap hold), Ingram, Ball, Kuzma, Hart, and Bryant.

George would cost 30.3 million
    LeBron would cost 35.4 million

You'd be left with only about 1.7 million (roughly a veteran minimum contract. You'd also have the 4 million Room Exception to spend.

As for Julius, with his Bird Rights, we'd then be free to give him any sort of contract we want. Recently a rumor came out that his value in the market will roughly be somewhere between 12-15 million. We could give him that with no penalty, or more if we felt like "rewarding" him for being patient.

17. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for filling us in, Wade
    [​IMG]

I’m feeling pretty good about this situation if Pincus is right. I’d gladly give up Zu, 2 2nds, cash and a first to dump Deng and be able to go after George, LeBron, AND key in all this, retain Randle. If that means we get to keep Ingram, Kuz, Zo, and Hart, then those draft picks mean very little, because the chances of us finding another Kuz or Randle with those picks, are not high. We have drafted very well, yes, but we have missed on good amount of guys too, and we haven’t drafted someone that’s putting up the numbers Randle is right now since like..Kobe? We rarely get a chance to pick a player with that potential.

18. therealdeal

Statistically speaking, we honestly haven't missed much in the last few years. Most 2nd round picks are useless and most late 1sts are not much better. We've drafted at a fairly high level since 2012 with guys like Ryan Kelly and Robert Sacre at least still serving some function. Most 60th picks are useless, but we were able to turn Sacre into a viable roster spot for a few years.

I agree though. If we can move Deng attached to two 1sts or a 1st and two 2nds, things get veeeery interesting this summer. If we could do that as well as trading for George, we'd be in such a strong place it's preposterous.

19. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I’m not knocking out drafting history at all. My point was that the chances are those 2nd round picks are more likely a crazy eyes Brown, Goudelock, Kelly, Sacre, Caracter, Morris, or Ebanks, than even a Zubac, let alone a Clarkson. and if we have to give up a first, the likelihood that that player would be a Randle is slim to none, be a Kuz is unlikely, and you’d be hoping for a Hart. You really can’t do much better in the draft where we selected than we have the past few years or so, and I’m ok with giving up maybe players that match what we already have for cap space to swing for the fences, if it allows us to keep said players. But, I think we’re agreed on all these points anyway.

20. therealdeal

Yeah I completely agree, I was just giving our scouting department props. I mean this genuinely: there's been no better team in the draft than us since 2012. Our only "miss" since 2012 was Anthony Brown and arguably Ryan Kelly, even though it can be argued that drafting even close to an NBA player is impressive in the 2nd round as most of those guys don't make it.

If we could move Deng without giving up Kuzma or Hart or Bryant, I think we're in AMAZING shape. I know Kuzma wants to be more, but giving him that time to develop off the bench, he'll be an absolute assassin for us in 4 years. Fielding a team of:

Ball/
    George/Hart
    Ingram/
    LeBron/Kuzma
    Randle/Bryant

with the room exception to spend still (Lopez hopefully) is honestly jaw dropping. That team has so much amazing potential for now and for the future, it's incredible. That team is worth sacrificing Chandler Hutchinson or Khyri Thomas and a couple more late picks. Like you said, if we're lucky we get 2-3 more Josh Harts. Is that worth holding on to over LeBron/George/Randle? F*** no. As much as I love our scouting department, that's not even a question. I hope the Lakers, George, and LeBron see it the same way.