Luol Deng Discussion: No #Dengdump, Rather Stretched Into Cash

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by trodgers, Jul 2, 2016.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Two late 1sts and Zubac or one proven young guy and a protected 1st should be enough to do it.

I'll give them Hart or Kuzma and a Top 10 protected 1st or the Cleveland first and the 2020 pick and Zubac. That's it. It'd hurt to give up one of the youngsters, but if it can net us George, LeBron, and keep Julius then it's worth it.

2. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

My opening offer is Hart, Zu and the Cleveland pick. They will counter and I'll counter back with adding the 2020 pick. I go as far as Kuzma and the Cleveland pick, but no further.

revgen and therealdeal like this.
  3. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Are these offers for pure salary dumps or just smaller contract back? Id look to do ungauranteed deals like Asik n stretch him. I know we want as much cap as possible but with 2max n resigning randle, we'll need cheap talent from the draft, sending multiple 1st away feels like the old kuchak days

abeer3 likes this.
  4. therealdeal

It would depend on the return probably. If it's something that's going to cost us 2-3 million for 3 years, then I'm probably keeping a kid and giving them a draft pick.

5. Savory Griddles

Everything is so close with the money, I think we can trade Deng and take back a player that makes 3 million or so a year and that'll do it.

6. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

the asik suggestion is to stretch him with bout 3mill cap hit.....i think that route would cost less than multiple picks and or kuz/hart, just hope chi doesnt have any 18' fa plans other than reupping Lavine. Jr Smith is another guy with a partial 2nd yr guranteed deal that we could stretch over 5yrs

7. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Why would you open with Hart? That’s a last resort to me, not an opening offer. I love Hart, dude is like Ariza, we will miss his hustle and defense years from now still if we let him go that easily. He’s quickly become one of my favorite players, it would sting so much to lose him for LeBron. I’d offer Zu and Bryant before bringing Hart into it.

8. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

I must have some Jeanie Buss in me. I hate losing any of the kids. I could let go of Zu and Bryant if I had to. I’m not giving away anyone else.

9. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

...don't forget to add Ennis. :)

10. Black_Jack

Black_Jack - Rookie -

Deng has been claiming that he wants to play ball, then why is he not agreeing to a buyout. I guess this guy wants the money real bad. It is impossible to trade this guy without losing valuable assets and him staying is the only reason why we wouldn't become championship contenders next season.

11. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

If you were Deng would you give up any part of 36mill owed to you back just so you can play 10mins a gm?

OmarE, LTLakerFan and therealdeal like this.
  12. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Draft picks are cheap labor and I hated how we've traded them willy nilly in the past but if a couple draft picks are what separates us resigning Randle then bye bye picks. Plus I have faith in our G League team in finding usable players.

OmarE likes this.
  13. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

Kuzma has to stay.

14. Savory Griddles

You have to give up something of current value. Zu and Bryant with a pick isn't a serious offer. Ya know when you look down teams rosters for crap contracts to make salaries match up in hypothetical trades? that's pretty much Zu and Bryant to every non-Laker fan. I'm sure every team has some players that show flashes of brilliance, but don't pan out.

I love Hart. He's one of my favorite players on the team. But I'm thinking pragmatically and we probably get hung up on if we don't offer at least him and a pick. Like I've said before, at this point, with the way Julius is blossoming, I give up everything not named Ingram, Ball and Kuzma to get rid of Deng so we can keep Randle. I even give up Kuzma if I'm able to keep Hart and only give up one pick.

revgen and therealdeal like this.
  15. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Or we could let that forget about Lebron and shift our focus on 2019 when it'll be much easier to move Deng, all while keeping Kuzma and Hart.

sirronstuff and Cookie like this.
  16. gcclaker

Billups, Burke and that other guy in the broadcasting team mentioned this as well. They said that IF the Lakers strike out on James, George or both, there's Leonard and Butler. None really sold on that either, Leonard will be retained I'm sure and Butler possibly even with the injury.

Cookie and therealdeal like this.
  17. therealdeal

That's my fear too. If we miss the opportunity this summer, I think next summer's chances are far slimmer. At least with LeBron and George there's significant smoke heading our direction. Next summer there's nothing... If we miss now, we're married to the team we have today. I don't hate that, it's just not as good as it could be.

18. gcclaker

I do see Johnson and Pelinka making the pitch to both James and George while doing whatever is creatively necessary to retain Randle. I'd be loathe to see Randle go. How convincing they can be remains to be played out.

George with like playing with James who will set him up plus a lively, young core that's better than OKC's not named Westbrook (or Adams). I see Anthony opting in...not giving up that money.

James? Given how Cleveland is still disjointed even with the new acquisitions and won't be fixed easily even with Love coming back. Barring a sudden change of heart, I don't think he stays.

19. therealdeal

Agreed on all fronts. I think we've hit a perfect storm of hype and realistic expectations. I'm hopeful we leave this summer with at least one of George or LeBron along with our burgeoning young core. I'm sure there'll be some moves that'll upset us, but if we come out of the summer with at least one big FA, it'll be a big win for us. At least then we'll be truly competitive again. If we can snag both while keeping most of the young guys together, I think we're in for a real treat for the next decade or so.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and gcclaker like this.
  20. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I can’t be swayed on this, I’m not rational on this. I love Hart, I will be sad like I was when we lost Ariza and want to trade for him back or sign him again the rest of his career.

Regarding the rest of these posts on free agents, you guys want some real comedy, Stephen A said this morning we should stop focusing on LeBron and PG and move on to Durant and Klay. Yeah, THAT sounds more realistic, 2 guys from a probable dynasty are going to leave their team together and join us, just ditch Steph Curry and come here.

[​IMG]