Luol Deng Discussion: No #Dengdump, Rather Stretched Into Cash

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by trodgers, Jul 2, 2016.

1. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Ease up off him a lil bit @sirronstuff

Clips have the 13th (via Detroit w/ Blake trade) and 14th pick in the 2018 draft as of now. With the way Detroit is angling for the playoffs in the lEast, that 13th pick is only going to get worse. Clips traded their 2019 1st rounder.

LA has the Cavs 2018 1st rounder projected to be in the 20s (although I'm hoping that the Cavs don't figure it out and they continue to slide #TheLandPickWatch). LA also has their 2019 pick.

I would offer 2018 Cavs 1st, our 2019 1st, Zu and/or Ennis's non-guaranteed 2019 expiring contract(s) and Deng for an opted in DJ @ 24.1M.

DJ is making 6M more than Deng in 2018/19, but if we aggregate Zu/Ennis/2018 Cavs's first contract wise, that makes almost 5M in outgoing salary to the Clips. LA's cap space with Deng and those cap holders (sans Jules) is 61M. LA's cap space with DJ and without those cap holders (sans Jules) is 60M. You can still squeeze in a max PG13 and a close to max LaBron (has to be willing to sacrifice 5M). In that scenario.

This should be our Jules contingency plan. And if he's not willing stay at a discount, but the Clips are willing to give it to him, then take back our 2019 1st rounder and include him in the Deng dump for DJ along with the Cavs 1st. DJ can even force the Clips hand the same way CP3 did and you know those dudes talk everyday. We get DJ, the clips take on a Deng dump but get 3 1st round picks for the 2018 draft and Jules to pair with Tobias moving forward.

This way DJ and Jules just swap and they both don't have to look for new homes.

2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

So what do I say when I invite you to "man" up too?

:Magic Brows:

:Laugh:

Cookie likes this.
  3. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

How about Cookie up lol.

4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

he came in out of shape after signing the big deal. i'm super pissed about it still, honestly. but he wasn't really given a chance to redeem himself. does he deserve it? maybe not. but i'm not sure that simply shelving him was useful to the lakers or deng.

it's a stalemate at this point--he shouldn't want to give up cash (nobody will sign him for more than the min as of now), and the lakers shouldn't want to grant him a buyout if they can avoid it.

but your team president doesn't have to mock the situation on tv. that's lame.

TIME, sirronstuff, Cookie and 2 others like this.
  5. Cookie

I disagree that he wasn’t given a chance to redeem himself. He played 60 games his first year. That was plenty of time to get in shape and show the team what he could do. He was dead last on the workout chart except for some D- leaguers. That shows me he didn’t care enough to even try. Action speak louder then words.

Maybe you’re saying we should have given him time this year also. No way. Playing time is earned not given. He did nothing to show me he earned it.

jbiggs, revgen, abeer3 and 9 others like this.
  6. LTLakerFan

You're a hard woman Cookie.

:Laugh:

Cookie and sirronstuff like this.
  7. vasashi17

Terrible day for us. Never leave it to a C bag to come thru...they not only killed our Cleveland pick (which is now at 25) but they allowed Bron to really enjoy his new teammates and fuel that faulty narrative of Koby making them more likely for a Finals repeat. Meanwhile our pick going to Philly sites at 11 and BKs pick to Cleveland is at 7.

Based off optics alone, it was a really bad day for us and the #2018plan. Of course it being the #WheelchairWhisper's day kinda explains it.

8. LTLakerFan

^^^ Royce Young has it bass ackwards above. With headphones on the question is clearly did you hear the Lakers fans chanting ......

Moron. Changes the tweet 180 degrees when you hear Paul's response, "yeah I loved it ... why I was trying to get to the line" while playing along with the question.

Cookie likes this.
  9. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

what's lebron supposed to do?

actually make his displeasure known on the court? come on

10. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

reading that article seems like a sympathy fluff piece...like others have said if its not about the $ then give it up and go sign for vet min somewhere so you can play. Deng as I assume had some inclination as to what he was signing up for that yr, he signed here strictly cause we offered the most $, he knew we were gona be a bad team so I dont feel sorry for him one bit.

11. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    People compare your pay to your play, and it’s fair.

They also compare to your draft position. IT gets praised as the 60th pick in the draft. Kwame gets killed as a #1 pick.

At least if you are being paid like a star, be in shape to play. Deng showed up in the worst shape of his career, played the worst of his career, and his play took him out of the rotation.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  12. sirronstuff

13. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

haha best 1 yet

14. Rouzbeh Famili

Rouzbeh Famili - Rookie -

Offer Deng a coaching contract and revise his player contract or come to agreement for a discounted buy out

sirronstuff likes this.
  15. sirronstuff

That's an expensive coach. The highest paid in the NBA? But the big issue is he wants to play, and doesn't want to give up any money.

But welcome to the board!

:Headbang:

16. DjBelvedere

DjBelvedere - Rookie -

Send him with Lonzo to Washington (once they get bounced again in 2nd round) for Oubre and Wall ... (just throwing that out there) :Noddingyes:

Sign PG, resign Randle and sign some good veterans and off we go

PG: Wall
    SG: PG/Hart
    SF: Ingram/Oubre
    PF: Randle/Kuzma
    C: Brook at a discount or something similar

Enough Cash and a pick to round out the roster. Heck you can even drop Randle and get LeBron in and have a big three with Kuzma, Ingram, Hart still left.

Much better rebuild then waiting on Lonzo and all the drama etc. waiting to happen.

(just speaking out of frustration about that BBB thing)

sirronstuff likes this.
  17. Cookie

Deng is like an anchor, sinking my ship of hope. Please find someway out of this contract without giving up the Crown Jewels.

18. vasashi17

Speaking of jewels...

Jules/Deng for DJ (who opts into his 24.1M player option, which allows us to gain his Bird rights) is the offer I make to the Clips ONLY if Jules is asking for more than 13M in a cap-straped market this summer. Depending on how the Cavs finish out, we can even sweeten the deal with that pick or our 2019 1st rounder that never converted to Orlando in the Dwightmare trade. Clips would beer leveraged into taking on Deng if they don't want to lose DJ for nothing and DJ can use the CP3 route in saying he can opt out and simply walk into our cap space, so might as well get something for him while the Clips can.

This way we can pair PG and LaBron with a rim protector and rebounding dynamo and still hold out for a disgruntled star where we can reroute DJ to as a huge expiring contract.

Since DJ burned bridges in his hometown of Dallas, I don't see anywhere he would like to go with his free agency other than Houston, who can only trade for him since they don't have cap space, or the Spurs.

With the Lakers as an option, he can stay in LA and at 29, compete for a title with PG and LaBron. Jules gets his max deal and stays in LA (later rerouted to Anaheim) with the Clips.

I would like to hang onto Jules, but If he's going to demand max type money, I would welcome a contingency like this.

19. sirronstuff

Denchor

[​IMG]

20. LTLakerFan