Los Angeles Rams! How The West Will Be Won?

Discussion in 'Other Sports Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jan 7, 2015.

1. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Looking like Sean McVay?

2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

That's the scuttlebutt.

I was really hoping for Shanahan and I have a feeling no decision will come until they have a chance to interview him. It looks like Vance Joseph could get the job in Denver and McDermott is getting Buffalo. Jax already has their guy.

That leaves only SD, SF, and LA.

I'm really still hoping for Shanahan, but what I read of McVay is encouraging too.

3. therealdeal

And there you go @gcclaker . The timing isn't conspicuous at all. :D

But I'm excited. A young guy with good experience that blows away every interview. People are calling him the Rams' Luke Walton which is the highest compliment.

4. Bryant

Bryant - Lakers 6th Man -

5. gcclaker

6. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

No kidding. They have some talent on that side of the ball. They could end up being a top 5 defense next season.

7. therealdeal

I'm VERY excited about Wade. I think he can turn that defense around almost immediately. They still need DB depth in a mean way and I'd honestly prefer a new MLB, but they should be good.

McVay should do some great things for Goff and Gurley too.

gcclaker likes this.
  8. gcclaker

As you should...Phillips is widely respected as a defensive coach. The defense is already good to begin with. McVay also is regarded as an up and comer. Both should set the house in order.

9. therealdeal

Signed Andrew Whitworth which was huge! He's 35, but it's essentially a 2 year deal and he brings so much needed to the team. First of all he's an excellent tackle and second of all he's a great leader who can help a young team figure things out. He was my #1 target this summer and we got him. Great job.

Also signed Robert Woods. I'm less excited about that. Way less... I don't think Woods is very good, but national and local media all thought it was alright. You can bet your a** they're going to address WR in the draft now. I figure Kupp or Zay Jones in the early 2nd.

10. therealdeal

Probably not a bunch of Rams fans in here, but the draft is here.

I'm figuring they go WR in the early 2nd. In fact, I'd probably go WR/WR in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I'm figuring someone like Smith-Schuster should be available early in the 2nd and then somebody like maybe Kupp could be there in the 3rd. I also wouldn't mind a DB there. I don't trust our Corner/Safety situation.

I'm interested to see how the first round shakes out though. So much smoke being blown around right now, this is the Laramy Tunsil of drafts.

11. gcclaker

There was talk on the NFL TV crew of how Smith-Schuster would be a good fit with Goff.

In other news: Bears pulls a mini-Jeff Fisher...moving up to #2 by trading four picks for Trubisky.

12. therealdeal

I thought that was a huge mistake by the Bears. I don't think Trubisky is ready to go right now. It definitely was a Goff-like trade.

Smith-Schuster seems like a decent WR. I don't see an explosive threat, but I see a decent receiver. I'm really leaning Zay Jones though.

13. therealdeal

Rams trade down and then grab Gerald Everett.

I'll be honest... I didn't know who he was. But after I looked into him, I'm okay with it. Just sort of hard to swallow that we passed up on both Zay Jones and the Lamp kid.

14. therealdeal

Round 2: Gerald Everett. I didn't research TE at all before this draft, but after looking into him I like him a lot. He has small hands, but he's an explosive athlete and a very interesting player catching footballs. A willing blocker, we'll see how he handles NFL speed as a blocker though. Many, many people compare him to Jordan Reed. If he can have even a part of that sort of effectiveness down the field, that's a solid weapon. I thought it was a reach even after researching, but apparently the Rams got wind someone was going to take him later in the round, so they grabbed him when they could.

Round 3: Cooper Kupp. Stud. I like him a lot. I've liked him ever since I first heard of him. He doesn't have breakaway speed, but he's going to be a heck of a possession receiver. I'm excited for him. He's going to catch just about everything thrown his way.

John Johnson. I have no expectations for him at all. I didn't love his tape. He seems more like a Corner than a Safety, but I'm not sure he has the pure speed needed for Corner in the NFL. At least he's a very high character kid.

Round 4: Josh Reynolds. Solid pick. He can really stretch the field. I don't love him, but he'll serve a purpose.

Samson Ebukam. Again a solid pick. He is insanely raw, but has maybe the best pursuit in the draft. He never gives up on anything. He'll be an OLB in the NFL, but it'll take time. For now he'll be an interesting watch as a special teamer.

Round 6. Tamzel Smart. I don't know him. Undersized for a DT. He looks smooth as an athlete, but I'm not sure about his quick twitch. Rotation depth with some upside, but I'm not expecting much.

Sam Rogers. I loved his tape actually. Makes all the right football plays and has a ton of heart. He'll be a Kuhn type of FB. Low risk. High character.

Round 7. Ejuan Price. I have zero expectations. He probably doesn't stay on the squad, because he's just too small. Still, he has been productive when healthy.

All in all I give this draft a B. No OL even though I know this is a weak OL draft. The draft was deep in DBs and we took only one. I don't understand taking two DLs with the squad made up the way it is. Still they gave Goff some legitimate options in Kupp and Everett to go with Woods and to some extent Austin. I'm interested to see what they do with Higbee now. Drafting Everett is clearly a bad sign for him.

15. therealdeal

My Rams excitement was at an all time low a week or so ago. Now?

Well they traded for Sammy Watkins which is awesome. I just don't have much faith in Goff. The Rams are trying pretty hard to sell that he's going to be okay, but I'm not at all convinced. I will say that a lineup of Watkins/Wood/Kupp is definitely a vast improvement over last season. I think the defense is an improvement over last season. I think the line is moving in a positive direction but still bad.

The issue is: is Goff real or not? If he stinks, there's nothing saving this season. Luckily the team still has 8 picks next year. Hopefully they can trade up again and get one of the qbs coming out in 2018 with Rosen and Darnold probably going pro. I'd take either of those guys over Goff.

Lakerman JSJ likes this.
  16. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

A little early to be giving up on Goff. He's played one professional season.

17. Lakerman JSJ

Lakerman JSJ Moderator Staff Member

Life-long diehard Rams fan checking in here. :)

I'm with you, Real. I'm skeptical of Goff, but I do think he has significant arm talent. Snead has done a good job of giving him MUCH better coaching and A LOT more weapons. Now, we get to see what the kid's got for real.

The downside is he tanks and we're in position to snag one of Darnold (YES, PLEASE), Rosen, or the Wyoming QB everyone's got a hard-on for. Definitely liking this young core, though.

Past time to re-sign Aaron Donald, though. Pay the man, Les!

therealdeal likes this.
  18. therealdeal

I'm not giving up, but have you seen anything he can hang his hat on?

19. therealdeal

I agree he's got arm talent for sure. I think mechanically he's got what it takes and can make all the throws we need, but does he have it between the ears? I haven't heard anything out of camp about him looking good. I'm just not optimistic...

You're right though, Snead deserves a ton of credit for this offensive rebuild in one summer. Watkins, Wood, Kupp is a solid wr lineup. Everett and Higbee are an interesting combo. Whitworth was an awesome signing. The next step in the team is shoring up the offensive line.

Lakerman JSJ likes this.
  20. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

Not really, but Goff didnt exactly have Dak Prescott's supporting cast last year either.

Let's see what happens with some better parts around him this year and a legit coaching staff.

Lakerman JSJ likes this.