Los Angeles Rams! How The West Will Be Won?

Discussion in 'Other Sports Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jan 7, 2015.

1. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Kyle Shanahan?

2. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Rumor is Harbaugh. FML

3. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

This is the name that intrigues me most. Others are the more obvious Josh McDaniels, I suppose Jim Harbaugh is interesting, David Shaw is somewhat interesting, and a name I'm less interested that I've heard is Teryl Austin (the Detroit DC). I'm also interested in Gruden if he wants it, but I doubt he's interested.

4. therealdeal

I mean there's some good he'd bring, but there's also a lot of baggage and I'm not sure at all that he'd be interested in leaving Michigan just yet.

5. gcclaker

- Shanahan is a hot commodity among the prospects.
    - McDaniels? Who knows if he leaves his post in New England as OC. If they win the Super Bowl...he just might.
    - Shaw is entrenched as Stanford and I don't know if he's ready for the NFL. Another thing is that he is conservative as hell. Stanford did not do as well this year so there's a possibility but probably a year or maybe even two away.
    - Gruden? He'd want bigger control which I'm not sure Snead could deal with...plus he's said that the NFL's rules has passed him by. No patience for it.
    - Harbaugh? See Gruden. If Snead thought Fisher was a b***h to work with, well...
    - Austin? Don't know much about him though with Detroit's run of success this season he's doing something right.

Others:
    - Jim Bob Cooter? Supposedly an offensive guru. I like his name too. Dukes of Hazzardish. :)
    - Rex Ryan? Could be out of Buffalo. He'd bring some pizzazz and he really isn't bad. Hire ex-Oregon coach Helfrich as OC.
    - Coughlin? Old as Metuselah though still a heck of a coach.

6. therealdeal

I agree with most of your takes. I'm almost positive Gruden and Harbaugh are nothing but pipe dreams (for the record I like John Harbaugh too).

JBC would be interesting, I expect he should get an interview at least and his ridiculous name's lack of fit in LA would be hysterical.
    Not all that interested in Rex. Decent coach, but I'd rather go in a different direction.
    Coughlin is good, but he's too old I think to handle the rigors of HC these days. If he were 10 years younger, I'm all in.

7. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I think the Rams should think outside the box and go all in on Barry Switzer.

8. therealdeal

Nah let's go after d*** LeBeau.

9. gcclaker

John Robinson... Run the 47 Gap with Gurley. The NFL version of Student Body Right...Student Body Left.

10. therealdeal

Lost to the Niners at home. For Christmas. What a way to spend my Christmas.

Jeez.

Can't wait until this season is over.

11. gcclaker

I feel for you given your loyalty to the franchise. Raider fans are disconsolate given the unfortunate turn of events from yesterday. Hire the right coach and savvy personnel moves can/will revitalize the Rams just like us. We went through many a season of hell too...more so than you guys.

12. therealdeal

Yeah I'm sorry about Carr. That's a huge blow. Hopefully you guys can lean on that run game a little more.

13. KRL

KRL - Lakers 6th Man -

Man they really need to hire an offensive coach that can game plan around Goff's strengths otherwise he will be one giant bust! Boras is horrendous, I knew the team was in big trouble when I watched Hard Knocks.

14. therealdeal

Boras was one of the most idiotic hires and really was the nail in the coffin I think for Fisher. Hiring Boras was understanding that the offense would be horrible and not caring because Boras was not a threat. It was the same sort of bush league tactic Byron Scott used when hiring his own assistants.

I'm hoping for Kyle Shanahan. Young Shanahan, despite his age, has a proven track record of helping qbs and rbs improve dramatically. He was great for Shaub and great for Griffin III which are two obviously different skill sets. He was great for Julio this year while also continuing to allow Freeman (and Coleman) to excel. He's my guy for sure.

gcclaker likes this.
  15. gcclaker

The Denver vacancy could be the Rams' main competition. They have their top notch defense intact and could use his tweaking on offense. Another is that his father used to coach there so some familiarity can be factored in...

16. therealdeal

I think of the available jobs (Chargers, Rams, Broncos, Jags, Niners, and Bills) the Broncos and surprisingly the Jags might be the only jobs at the same level as the Rams or better. The Chargers need as much work and in a lot of ways are farther than the Rams from being competitive (although Melvin Gordon looks like the real deal).

If Shanahan doesn't come, I don't want McDaniels. I'd prefer trading for Payton at that point or going after the DC in New England whose name I forget. Still I've got my heart set on Young Shanahan. The kid has the chops. I think he could be the Rams version of Luke Walton. Tons of pedigree and good coaching instincts.

17. gcclaker

Payton would be a great hire for the Rams. It would mean Gregg Williams will be gone if not already. I don't really see him leaving New Orleans and Brees behind or the Rams giving away more assets just to get him. Too much has been dealt with already acquiring Goff. I agree with McDaniels who is more of an assistant coach rather than lead. It would be tough to walk away from the stability and winning culture in New England.

As for the Chargers...they do have a young, talented nucleus besides Gordon that was decimated by injuries this season. Allen, Teo, Verrett, Woodhead just to name a few. I read it was around 20. Rivers is still going on strong. Gates isn't the same player but he can still produce if not at the same level.

18. therealdeal

I honestly thought Rivers was terrible this year. I followed the Chargers more than usual because I had Gordon on my fantasy team and while he wasn't "bad", this was a really mistake prone Rivers. They need an offensive line and a half down there. I'm shocked at how effective Gordon was able to be behind that group of misfits.

Their roster isn't awful, but their culture is still not a winning one. They just don't seem to care about making it very far down there. I feel like even in LA it'll be the same vibe. It's not a bad job per se, just not a great one.

I feel like LA and Denver are great jobs to take. Jacksonville and Buffalo are good ones. San Francisco is a high risk-high reward job. San Diego is just... okay.

19. gcclaker

Rivers threw 21 picks this past season...trying to compensate a bit too much for the lack of playmakers on his team. I agree that their O-line has been iffy so I assume they will address that this offseason. A majority of their losses have been close where they led into the fourth quarter. I don't think McCoy was the answer for them. He was an average coach at best though he did get the players not to quit on themselves. Then again it could be the veteran leadership of Rivers and Gates.

The Rams from the limited time I've seen them possess a very stout defensive unit which kept them in games. On offense, I only know of Gurley but as you noted their offense (or lack thereof) really hampered them. Goff could end up being just another Alex Smith.

Buffalo has talent. So does Jacksonville. The latter has been in touch with Coughlin. The Bills organization appear to be clueless with reports of disconnect among them. San Francisco is an even bigger mess.

20. therealdeal

I've heard that Jacksonville wants Coughlin and honestly it's probably a good match.

Buffalo I have no idea.

Denver and Shanahan seem like they're on the same page (unfortunately for me).

San Francisco is apparently going after McDaniels and the GM in New England as a package. They'll likely have to break the bank to get them.

San Diego I've heard is looking at defensive coaches including the Patriots DC.

Which leaves the Rams who I believe are going to end up trading for Payton... It's not a bad move, but I hate giving up picks right now. The team has too many holes to keep moving assets like that.

As for the Rams' talent: their DL is basically the only plus thing about the team. That and the punter Hekker is a beast. I'd say the Rams' linebackers are a B-/C+, the secondary is a definitely C+, the o-line is an F, the wide receivers are an F, and the running back group is a B-/C+. Gurley has talent, but he was horrible this year. It wasn't just that he didn't have a lot of room to run, he also routinely missed the hole and ran about as soft as I've seen a running back run. The new coach can turn this into a borderline playoff team, but he needs to get an o-line and a couple wide receivers who can actually catch the ball.