Los Angeles Rams! How The West Will Be Won?

Discussion in 'Other Sports Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jan 7, 2015.

1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

:Shaqsurprised2:

:Shaqlaughing 2:

2. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Seeing how there was talk the Chargers could move back to SD cause of low attendance last season, I feel the Rams really had to do something to create a buzz in LA when the NFL reception last season was lukewarm. It directly follows up the blueprint of first entering the LA market with that blockbuster deal to move up in the draft to get Goff.

These moves obviously generate crazy buzz so mission accomplished, but man could this backfire spectacularly cause their draft cabinet is bare.

It seems that they dealt a 1st round pick for Cook cause they see him as a keeper and are currently in discussions to offer him an extension. They better lock him up otherwise that will be a 2nd round pick (Watkins) and a first round pick (Cooks) that the Rams threw at players that left after 1 year.

But with Donald's big pay day coming up, it looks like Suh will be a one and done also. Talib isn't part of the future neither. Peters is going to make the jump into some real money soon and so is Goff and Gurley. Its a good think that the Rams have alot of cap opening up in 2019, but it won't matter if their FAs decide leaving anyways and can they pay everybody what they demand?

They clearly went for broke this season and its SB or bust. Still it will be an interesting dynamic with so many of their core pieces essentially in contract years. Will they play for each other or for themselves?

3. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

I think they have to. Football in LA is already bleak as it is, being a city of transplants.

To gain new fans, unfortunately bandwagon ones, a necessary step for a non Football city, they have to be successful and compete. The Raiders and Rams of old did not do that. Last year was a good step making the playoffs, but now they have to capture the rest of the idle LA fans to really build a fan base that can reach outside of LA itself.

Otherwise, LA will quickly reject a team that's sitting on the line of mediocre and good. And we'll be back to square one with no football teams at all.

4. Bryant

Bryant - Lakers 6th Man -

What do you guys think of the Rams' NFL draft?

They loaded up on a lot of OL and LBs for depth, which was needed. Got rid of Tavon Austin, which saves about $1 million in cap space.

Saw that people were excited for Okoronkwho in particular.

5. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Rams and Cowboys made a trade. Rams get 6th rounder for Tavon Austin.

As a Cowboys fan, I'm not sure why, but whatever.

therealdeal likes this.
  6. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Didn't you also trade away one of your wrs that was expecting to get time?

I have no idea why you guys did it, but thanks! I hated Tavon. He's too small and light to be a possession receiver and he's not talented enough to be a deep threat.

I've heard elsewhere the Rams have had an amazing draft but I haven't had time to really check. Just on the surface, they drafted mostly OL and OLBs. I can't be mad at that. I'm going to really look into the one ILB they drafted because that's their weakest spot right now.

7. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

.... and Donald will play finally. Got his big contract.

therealdeal likes this.
  8. therealdeal

The Rams are built for a tremendous run here. Gurley, Donald, Cooks, and Goff all built to be around for a long time. Peters they may be able to keep around too.

9. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

The NFC is like the NBA West...loaded with top tier teams. New Orleans, Philadelphia, Minnesota, Carolina along with the Rams. Teams on/already the rise could be San Fran, Green Bay (assuming a healthy Rodgers), possibly Detroit (with Patricia), G-Men resurrection, Washington could be solid maybe Dallas.

I want the Bears to suck for the next two seasons says this disgruntled Raider fan. :)

therealdeal likes this.
  10. therealdeal

I'm sorry for you guys. The Raiders are just making terrible, terrible decisions.

11. gcclaker

I agree... He thinks we are in rebuild mode.

12. gcclaker

Anything less than a Super Bowl for the Rams will be a failure... A revamped defense, an expected better production from Goff and another solid season from Gurley. Eagles could start slow with Foles taking over for now. Cousins in Minny? I was not fully sold on him even in DC even if he is considered an upgrade over Keenum. Carolina goes as far Newton can take them plus their defense isn't as stout as previous ones. Let's see how Garopollo does in a full season instead of a five games albeit all wins. Green Bay isn't that daunting. Rodgers goes down so do their season.

That leaves who? New Orleans. Brees is still cranking it up plus they have a good defense. Balanced squad. One badly missed tackle to the NFC Championship game. Spoilers? Giants and Redskins. Maybe the Cowboys...?

13. therealdeal

I think it's the Eagles and the Rams. After that, you're talking maybe Minnesota and the Saints.

Assuming there's no catastrophic injuries, I agree with you 100%. This is a Superbowl team or they're a failure. They've got an incredible defense with a top notch DB/DL combination. They've got the most explosive offense the Rams have had since Warner. They've got maybe the best RB in the league, a good young QB, and a very solid cast of pass catchers.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  14. Bryant

LA puts another beat down on the Cards, this time in football! Dominant performance by them, pitched a shut out.

Lost Zuerlein for the entire game, but all those 2 point conversions worked. Hekker played emergency kicker very well: he was able to score a FG and a PAT!

Brandin Cooks has been a big upgrade for this offense. He's a great fit for this offense compared to Watkins. We didn't skip a beat on ST despite losing Pharoh Cooper, Jojo Natson looks very explosive on the punt returns.

therealdeal likes this.
  15. Bryant

This sums up this week's battle for LA for us:

[​IMG]

Losing Peters and Talib hurts a lot, especially for that Thursday night game vs. the Vikings. Who knows, they lost to the Bills and our offense is insane right now.

On the flip side, the injuries aren't the end of the world. Peters didn't hurt his Achilles:

And Talib sprained his ankle:

16. therealdeal

I didn't see the Peters injury, but I saw Talib's. I'd say Talib likely a pretty bad sprain. I'd say he's likely out for Thursday. Possibly out 2+ weeks, but DTD for most of it.

If Peters hurt his calf, it's possible he did what I did and slightly tore the muscle. I was out for approximately 4-5 weeks, but I was getting improper treatment and obviously didn't have NFL money at my disposal. It'll be interesting to hear what he did.

We're fairly deep at the corner spot, but obviously that's a big blow in one game. Shields will have to step up.

17. Bryant

What a game by Goff today vs the Vikings, 5 TD's and a perfect QB rating. He was dropping dimes the entire game. This offense is lethal.

The defense was able to close the game out, Suh + Donald finally got to Cousins.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  18. therealdeal

This Rams team is preposterous. What a game!

Shields actually played alright, but Cousins was dropping tremendous passes into tight spots. Minnesota didn't back down in the slightest, the Rams just ourperformed them.

The turnaround has been amazing.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  19. gcclaker

It started BIG by getting rid of:

[​IMG]

LTLakerFan and therealdeal like this.
  20. therealdeal

The roster construction is just amazing. They've got no major weaknesses. Right now their weakest spots are edge rusher and middle linebacker, but they put so much pressure on quarterbacks with their interior rush and their excellent DB depth that their weaknesses aren't as noticeable. The edge rush and middle linebackers have to be just good enough to get the job done.

And offensively they're out of control. The offensive line is one of the best in the league with decent depth too. Their wide receivers are multi talented and capable of playing across the field. Gurley is the best back in football.

We've got good special teams units. Last week was a struggle for Hekker, but he's usually a Pro Bowler. Zuerlein is a stud. Fassell is a fantastic special teams coach.

But more than all that, McVay is a football genius. His schemes offensively are the next level of coaching. He can get drive the field better than any coach out there right now. Watching film breakdowns of his playcall is fascinating. He can scheme ways to get one on one matchups even in a stacked box. It's wild.

LTLakerFan likes this.