Looking At Revamped West.

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Lakers2015, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

This has been the wildest offseason in quite some time and obviously it's just he start.

You have three of argurably the best players in the NBA switching teams in Chris Paul, Jimmy Butler, and Paul George.

Obviously everyone is chasing the Warriors, but are any of these teams equipped to challenge the Warriors next year?

Butler certaintly makes the Timberwolves a playoff team and they also added Teague, but still think given the youth on that team they're a few years away from being a serious threat.

Houston getting Chris Paul is very interesting because realistically whenever Dantoni's offenses have been at their peak it's been with one ball dominant guard as opposed to two. You think back to a few years ago when the Lakers had Nash and Kobe and they didn't really start to take off till Kobe started to go into 2006 mode and just carry that offense.

Paul and Harden were the most ball dominant guards in the NBA last season. Harden did play off ball a little bit in OKC, but that was a long time ago and when he was coming off the bench.

Even if the two mesh I'm not sure it's enough to seriously threaten Golden State.

Then you look at OKC adding Paul George. In all likelihood George is a one year rental until he does what appears to be the inevitable and that's sign with his hometown Los Angeles Lakers.

Westbrook and Durant as talented as they were (talent wise probably the best duo since Kobe & Shaq) never won a championship together. Only reached the Finals once. Paul George is terrific, but he's no Kevin Durant. With their cap situation they aren't in a position to really add to that roster.

It's unquestionably a worse roster around their two superstars then it was in 2016 when they lost in seven games to the Warriors in the Confernce Finals. Just don't see anyway this team is more than a second round exit.

Even after all this movement the only serious semi threat I see to the Warriors is the Spurs. If they can steal Iguodala away from Golden State and join them that'll make things very interesting. Still as currently constructed I don't think they win more than a couple of games against the Warriors.

Thoughts?

lakerjones likes this.
  2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Nobody right now is beating the Warriors, but I'm at least happy that the league wasn't eager to bend over backwards to let them have it. There's teams trying to compete like OKC and HOU and maybe they get lucky with some injuries to GS and they can get in there to try to win a title.

I think overall there's no true threats to the Warriors. They've got too many weapons right now. If someone signs away Iguodala, that'll be a big blow. I think GS has a solid 2-3 year span here where they'll be the heavy favorites.

I like what the Wolves have done here. They built with young guys and then traded for a star to legitimize them. That was a great rebuild for them and they should be firmly in the playoff discussion now, probably a mid-seed.

Lakers2015 likes this.
  3. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Warriors are at the top, at the far top even but I like Minny and even Houston for loading up, you never know with injuries. We need to see how the rest of free agency pans out but right now, its awesome being an NBA fan.

I'd just like to put this on record but I really, Really like what Minny is doing right now and apparently they aren't done yet. I have said in the past to my friends and family, Lakers vs TWolves in western conference finals in 2020.

Lakers2015 likes this.
  4. Lakers2015

And a Lakers sweep over the C Bags in the Finals! LeBron will be on the Lakers so they'll win the crappy East by default and then get swept in the Finals!

5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

want to see if SA is going to do anything to add to their team. if they don't, they slipped to 4th in my mind. houston's gambling on health again, but when fully intact, they have a puncher's chance (need a key gs injury, but so does everyone).

think minny's in the playoffs, and nobody appears to be on the "tank from day one train". might be another long year for us.

6. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    The Lakers will win the West when the ghosts of Magic, Cap and Worthy possess Lonzo, Brook and BI

7. Lakers2015

I assume you have OKC third?

8. alam1108

A+ free agency.

abeer3 and lakerjones like this.
  9. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Nice breakdown Lakers2015. It is pretty exciting to see the changes this offseason in the West. The LEAST just keeps getting worse.

If GS can keep Iggy this summer I see them dominating the next couple years. I do see SA as a legitimate threat to them though, but I doubt they have enough fire power to take them out unless GS has serious injury issues. I'm not sure what the addition of CP3 does for Houston other than puts more points on the board, which should keep them in the hunt for the regular season but won't get them over in the playoffs. I think PG13 probably puts OKC firmly in the four spot in the West followed most likely by Memphis, IMO. If Memphis is healthy they are a sleeper candidate to me because they play great ball and can D it up. Minny should very well be in the playoff mix this year and might bump a team like Portland out.

I think Utah's hopes hinge on Hayward. If he stays they are right there in the playoff mix too. If he bolts they take a big hit. Clippers slip down to the bottom of the playoff picture IMO after losing their leader in CP3 and shooting with JJ. Maybe they do something at the deadline to get better.

Not sure where we land. Have to see the young guns in action.

Lakers2015 likes this.
  10. therealdeal

We can send them Deng and really get that place going.

11. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Yeah teams are getting better or at least trying to by adding some pieces whereas we are still talking about hypothetical plans ...

12. therealdeal

You think that's by design or by chance? The league is convinced Paul George is coming here, the Lakers are too. He won't come alone. We all need a little more patience.

gcclaker, Lakers2015 and LTLakerFan like this.
  13. ThizGuy83

ThizGuy83 - Rookie -

Medical healthcare professional
    Is it too late for the higher ups to decide to change the playoff format for the upcoming season. A 1 through 16 seed regardless of conference really needs to be addressed for the new season because the east right now minus the cavs is just a joke.

lakerjones and Cookie like this.
  14. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

An NCAA seeding type format would help for a better, competitive post season but part of me wants to see Cleveland make The Finals again and watch them lose. Dubs are the top dogs in the West by a good margin.

San Antonio even with Leonard can't match them but I would not underestimate Popovich. My curiosity is where the Clippers stack up with key losses in the backcourt. Their bench is below average plus they don't have a player besides Crawford that can create off the dribble.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    therealdeal likes this.
  15. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

We've been waiting since the 2014 summer ... A lot can happen in 1 season ... and so little in 4

abeer3 likes this.
  16. Lakers2015

Yeah, yeah so we've heard. Doesn't mean it'll be the same result with a brand new regime.

17. therealdeal

I understand your skepticism and a lot can happen between now and next summer, but I don't think the Lakers are this confident without reason.

18. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

the 2 worse WC team are the least active thus far in FA (us and pho)....hell even the lowly Queens have been trying, they just offered a max deal to Otto Porter lol

19. therealdeal

If that's trying, then I'm glad we're not.

abeer3 and puffyusaf#2 like this.
  20. alam1108

Nah, Billups just wants to play in the Big3 League.
    :Laugh:

LTLakerFan and Cookie like this.