Lonzo Hype Poll

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by trodgers, Jul 9, 2017.

?

Lonzo Ball Hype a Turnoff?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    23.7%
  2. No

39 vote(s)
    66.1%
  3. It's complicated

6 vote(s)
    10.2%
  1. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Meh, don't waste your time on those... Game recognizes game, baby! :)

scnottaken, sirronstuff and John3:16 like this.
  2. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

3. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

It's a definite cringe moment for me when I hear those comparisons. I've voiced that and I definitely feel the push back and ridicule.

I think everyone is so desperate for some kind of superstar that they'll annoit every rookie we pick the next 'past superstar', and then get disappointed when a player doesn't achieve those levels in their first or second season.

4. The Showtime Mamba

The Showtime Mamba - Lakers 6th Man -

Are you a Big Baller?

1. Yes
      11 vote(s)
      25.6%
    2. *
      No
      26 vote(s)
      60.5%

3. It's complicated
      6 vote(s)
      14.0%
    :Fishwink:

Seriously though, I think if at this sight we can get a 60%+ no (and you could argue 74.5% not yes since it's complicated is not necessarily two bites at the cherry for yes in this poll -aren't statistics fun?) it would be easily 80% for the fan base. I don't see the harm in the hype.

Hype is just that hype. Magic is a salesman, and Lonzo is his pick, and the danger is he may favor him as he sees elements of himself in Lonzo. I would argue the Lakers need some hype, and if it is Lavar in a Flava Flav costume with a BBB clock round his neck so be it.

Is Lonzo, Jason Kidd. By setting the bar at this height he will fail - defense etc (it is encouraging that ason Kidd did become Jason Kidd and one of the greatest by volume not accuracy shooters of 3's in the league. But the comparison is surely on the passing and leadership and that should be understood. Nobody is saying he is a defensive juggernaut.

Is Lonzo the face of the franchise? To the casual fans he will be the face of the franchise. BUT I agree being the face of the franchise is more than name recognition and who is mentioned to advertise games on ESPN. Lebron is the face of the franchise AND the man in the Cavs. Yes it is premature to see Lonzo in this role. Is it disrespectful to Ingram? I do not think so. Would Magic have had conversations with Ingram and have the capacity to smooth rough seas? I would say 100% yes. If Ingram becomes our star than that is all the better. He now has a passer par excellence to facilitate his growth and help him ascend.

Will Lonzo take us deep into the playoffs? I don't recall Magic even promising that we will reach the playoffs this year. It is his aim but were has he guaranteed and hyped it? Improvements will be counted in win increases this year, and as we are currently constructed we will have to work for EVERY win.

DAR going is something I am trying to block out. He is a loss of potential that may be realized this year in Brooklyn. If you feel strongly that the trade was a waste and a failure then I can see how this impacts majorly on how you consider the front office will do going forward. My opinion is that DAR will not be the loss that others suggest, and I will be watching box scores and some Nets games, not to come back at people, but just because DAR is an intriguing player whom as a Laker I watched as much as I can in the last couple of years.

I like the pressure on Lonzo, because I believe he can rise to the challenge. I see a man who sets his goals high and does not trash or discount his opposition. I would call that being competitive. Should he be aiming for rookie of the year? Of course. Does he know it will be tough? Of course? His dad can claim Lonzo's passes can cure heal the sick and raise the dead. I don't mind. He is the hype man, and he is not a comedian, but I do like his verbosity and humor, and obvious love for his son.

I would not like to see this site to become negative or antagonistic. We are lucky to have a polarizing player who can create a dichotomy of views. It is amazing how people perceive things differently. I noticed during and after the first game how negative people were on Ball, and the word bust was brought out. It was said he could not shoot (at all). This was his first summer league game. The triple double yesterday seemed to distribute a plethora of amnesia if not recanting. It is difficult to judge tone on the internet, but that is what I picked up. @trodgers, I appreciate your opinions, statistics, presence, and content here. I do not think anyone is challenging you as a Laker fan. I just feel that the hype is not an issue. It is Magic trying to generate momentum in a way that he can (and yes signing players would be a much more tangible way to do so). I hope we will not have the DAR trade come back and bite us, but I have not been disappointed by Ball. He unlike DAR and Ingram has had no choice but to make an impact from the very start (actually even before he was picked). I will say I have rarely been so excited by outlet passes and hockey passes as I have been recently.

SamsonMiodek, karacha, TIME and 10 others like this.
  5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Wow Showtime. Great read. Nuanced and from the heart of a Lakers fan. Props!

:FistPump:

6. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

DAR's issues will be more obvious if he continues to be an unfocused, undetermined player. My fear is he turns into Harden. Harden was ok the first 4 years in the league. Granted he was coming off the bench for most of it but he was more a Manu hybrid 6th starter. Harden isnt a leader either. He can just ball realy well. Which is what DAR is.

DAR has all star talent. But his head is what will take him to the next level. We wont know for a while.

7. chkad

chkad - Rookie -

Man, trading DAR was a bad idea. Couldn't we just dump Deng with our '19 1st, plus some 2nd round picks? I mean the Nets have taken Carroll's contract... for a LATE 1st round pick.

Our '19 1st will be more worth than late 1st.

scnottaken likes this.
  8. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers 6th Man -

Been a Laker person since the year before Baylor retired. I love having some Laker hype. Seasons are much more exciting.

TIME, LTLakerFan and therealdeal like this.
  9. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

We tried to dump Deng with a non protected first round pick but had no takers. And Carroll is at least still serviceable.

The Showtime Mamba likes this.
  10. chkad

chkad - Rookie -

Ah shoot. But not sure about Carroll being more serviceable than Deng at this moment. I guess everyone is on board with us bringing two superstars next summer.

scnottaken likes this.
  11. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

A bottle of gatorade is more serviceable than Deng.

scnottaken and TIME like this.
  12. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    You have insulted the empty bottle of gatorade with that remark, sir

scnottaken, therealdeal, tada and 4 others like this.
  13. had

had - Rookie -

I voted yes. Saw the dad on tv saying he'd beat Jordan one-on-one, and was horrifically turned off.

That said, I like what I've seen so far from Lonzo Ball.

-Gets on the hip when defending and can stick there.
    -Shooting 3s at the end of the Clips SL game after already missing 9 or 10. Love that belief.
    -Sub-note 1: Was very upset during the Clips game that we were going to lose to their scrubs.
    -Sub-note 2: Was mollified when Ingram pulled us back in the closing moments.
    -Sub-note 3: If that was a cramp that sidelined Ingram, then he needs to get fit.
    -Sub-note 4: I hope Ingram keeps that same hair when he's shredding the NBA.
    -Sub-not 5: Sorry for all the sub-notes.
    -Ball has the skill and athleticism to finish at the rim and I believe he'll work it into his lexicon.
    -Ball has a lot of weight on his shoulders, but has made good moves these last few days:
    - 1) When asked a question in the post game presser, just answers, doesn't try to add more to his answer. Just answers and lets it sit there. He's a natural negotiator. Unbelievable, actually. Just let it sit there. So hard to do.
    - 2) Point 2 above: Can't hit a 3 all night to save his life, but jacks it up with (little-to) no conscience with game on line. We must sincerely hope he does not lose this belief.
    -Okay, so I guess I should have said he made two good moves this weekend. :)

One thing, a big thing, that is worrisome, is the jump shot mechanics.

Was the low % due to him trying to fix it while training with the Lakers? Nerves?

The kid's mechanics are eccentric. It's worrisome. We need that long range jumper, and we need points at the rim. I don't think they can deconstruct it. We'll see.

Okay I typed too much. Be well, everyone.

abeer3, Juronimo, scnottaken and 7 others like this.
  14. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Carrol contract is 1yr shorter and bk current coach was an asst in atl when carrol was actually decent, probably why why they took the trade. If minn n thib struggle with his team next yr maybe wr can unload deng contract for Aldridge n change, he isnt expiring but only makes 7mill for 18/19 season

15. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Ultimately I enjoy reading some of the opinions on the topic, but feel no investment or need to contribute to the conversation.

He's only 19 years old, and who he will become is a total crapshoot. You do all the background work you can, make good projections, create a professional support environment with accountability, and hope the kid has the mentality and drive to make the most of his abilities. and that his body holds up.

I hope he becomes the best Lonzo Ball, and squeezes as much out of his talent as a Kobe Bryant type. Having a group of young guys that are gym rats certainly improves those odds, so I am contagiously optimistic about what this young squad can become even if we don't sign any max players next year

16. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

You missed Kuzma lighting it up for 31 points and Lonzo with the trip dub Dummy! Priorities! Not to mention BI with 26 points and looking freaking awesome on Friday night.

And Ball doesn't look skinny and weak out there. LOL.

:Laugh:

17. Kou

Kou - Lakers 6th Man -

I personally think putting the tag "Transcendent" onto a player who was already surrounded with so much hype and controversy (that part through his father) is a mistake, transcendent talents are players that come once a generation, so now everything he does will be scrutinised to every last minute detail unnecessarily.

Its been two SL games, two! After game 1 people were going crazy on Zubac for having a bad game, lets wait 20/30 games into the season to have a better view into how he will perform at NBA level.

18. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

53 votes in that poll. Hmm..I don't think that many people are posting regularly here, alright some of you lurkers need to take the plunge and start talkin'. It's cool, we don't bite. Well, maybe sirron does, but he's clean, been a long time since that whole Chicano business.

19. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    61 no-39 yes.

20. YoungThundercat

YoungThundercat - Rookie -

I voted NO. Honestly, what's the harm? We have been awful and I mean HISTORICALLY AWFUL for the past 4 seasons. There are probably members on this board and in this community that weren't alive the last time we missed the playoffs with half this frequency.

Who cares if Lonzo is being called "The Face of the Franchise"? He's being called that by Magic f***ing Johnson! This is the man who is basically tying his job to the success of Lonzo. This is maybe the most outwardly, infectiously and, at times, infuriatingly positive person in the public sphere. Did we think he was going to take Lonzo at #2 and say, "Yeah, he can be a nice role player...maybe carve out a career like Derek Fisher."?

We have seen Lonzo on the court and in game action for exactly 67 minutes, playing with other rookies, future orthadontists and a "Former MVP" who may be the biggest black hole I've seen on a court since Andray "I Gets Mine" Blatche. And in those two games, he has pushed the pace, made passing fun and infectious to those around him (aside from Vander Blue) and went full Ice Cube against the C Bags as a (somewhat meaningless) cherry on top.

I'd be the first to admit that I would feel a lot better without the 12.5% from 3.

I just don't understand why people care so much? If Dr. Buss ever taught us anything as a fanbase, basketball is entertainment. So be entertained. If Lonzo isn't Magic 2.0 in 5 years, I'll still love my wife. Still love my son. Still get up every day and go to work. Still have a beer with the guys on a Friday night. So yeah, for now Lonzo is going to be the next Magic. Ingram is going to be KD. Paul George and LeBron are coming and we are going to be back on top! And if not? No biggie, I'll still watch and root for the team.

Maybe the question isn't "Is all the hype bad?". Maybe the question should be "Is it worth it to connect so much of my self identity to what sports team I root for to the point that they can adversely effect my real life?".

Jaguar, Weezy, therealdeal and 6 others like this.