Lonzo Ball Discussion: Bulls

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by OmarE, Jun 22, 2017.

1. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I bet if Lonzo Ball said he told his dad to chill while interviewing with the press, fans would give him more grace. Something to think about doing perhaps?

2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

3. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

...because if he did, Pops would take his head off? Anybody remember that train ride with LaMelo?

4. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

The kid still believes he owes everything to his father.

And in some ways he's not wrong.

5. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

I'm annoyed quite a bit by the fact our latest 2 young starting PG have had knee problems while not attacking the rim at all...

KB24, Jaguar and alam1108 like this.
  6. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

In what way does he still owe his father anything? He’s an adult now.

7. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator - Rookie -

I hope the kids wake up and realize that Lavar’s “plans” are going to blow up in his face.

He has already cost Lonzo millions from a shoe deal. There’s no way those BBB shoes would have made Lonzo the $5-6 mil reported that he could have got from Nike or Adidas.

I just have this feeling they are funding the JBA league with Lonzo’s salary from the Lakers. So far that league looks like it’s just bleeding money. If he’s paying 12 players on each team $3k/month... that’s $36k/month per team. There’s 8 teams in the league, so 36k x 8 = $288,000 on player salaries alone. We haven’t even talked about the cost to rent a venue to hold the games. Add the fact there’s usually only 20 people that come watch these games and it’s just burning money.

alam1108, XXIV, Cookie and 3 others like this.
  8. sirronstuff

when your parents invest their whole lives in your success, it's understandable how he might feel that way. He raised him to be a basketball star from day 1

TIME, Toklat, Juronimo and 7 others like this.
  9. therealdeal

Exaclty. I'm certainly not excusing everything Lavar does, but to understand Lonzo's position, you have to look at Lavar like Lonzo would.

10. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

In a general sense I don’t believe a kid, once he is an adult, OWE’s his parents anything. No one on the planet asked to be born. A person living the rest of their lives for their parents because they owe their parents for their upbringing seems unfair at a minimum. If anything the parent owes their child an upbringing to prepare them for independence until they become adults, whatever that age may be.

Parents should have an expectation that their kids live their lives in a certain way according to what they invested in them. But even still, once an adult, that kid can live their lives as they think best. They just need to be accountable for how they choose to live it.

Kids should do for their parents out of respect and appreciation, not because they owe them for being raised or for the sacrifice that parent made in raising them.

Just my view and I understand other cultural norms differ. But Zo should not feel he owes Lavar his money because he helped him pursue a basketball career. Lavar should thank his lucky stars that Zo helps out as much as he does.

alam1108, XXIV and Punk-101 like this.
  11. LTLakerFan

Yeah to all that. It's frightening to think about if Lonzo ultimately is winding up funding all this. Especially since dumb a** LaVar with his mouth and actions now has virtually everyone (well 99.999% .... anyway) on social media hating him and by way of collateral damage the whole family. (except Tina of course). Cannot imagine that Ball In The Family on Youtube video continues to be a big moneymaker.

The pressure is really on the two younger brothers to become successful pro basketball players and they have no doubt a crap coaching environment to that end compared to what they would both have had with natural progression through at least one and done UCLA careers. Maybe longer if they listened to anyone else but their delusional old man once they got to college about their chances that first year of getting drafted. Melo didn't even get the benefit of the last 2 years of his HS coach with him, who by the way won the championship this year.

12. therealdeal

I doubt many would disagree with you.

But that's not always the case and I'd say there's a very good chance Lonzo feels he owes much to his family. Mostly because he's said as much about his family.

13. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Haven’t y’all learned that there are only some players you’re allowed to be critical of? There’s criticism of his dad, which is obviously not really on him. Then there’s criticism of him, some of which is justified. I’m actually thinking Lakers fans should be critical of the training staff. Lots of repeat misuse injuries showing up in younger players. Even if they come to the team broken, trainers have to fix these problems.

Bad knee form on jumpers will destroy a player. Ugly releases aren’t just ugly. They’re sometimes destructive to shoulders and more. Training staff is living in the 90s

14. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    These young guys are never healthy. I hope with the King around, he shares whatever makes him invincible to the training staff and not the other way around.

15. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

a clinic in mia :Fishwink:

16. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Drugs or no, he has kept himself in exceptionally good shape. His training actually seems smarter than 99% of what I’ve seen from athletes.

17. sirronstuff

Even if you don’t like him, it does seem impossible not to give him credit for that.

18. LTLakerFan

:ShaqOh2:

I feel your pain .... that had to hurt.

:Laugh:

19. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    From the young core, the guy I have the least trouble dumping in a trade is easily Lonzo.

He will never be a star. He is a good role player. He isn't garbage by any means. He just doesn't have greatness in him. His passing is amazing but that's not enough to be great.

alam1108 and trodgers like this.
  20. therealdeal

How in the world do you come up with any/all of that? His rookie season was at least as impressive as Brandon Ingram's, if not significantly more impressive and here we are no one wants to trade Ingram for Kawhi effing Leonard. :D

Toklat, Cookie, Juronimo and 5 others like this.