Lonzo Ball Discussion: Bulls

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by OmarE, Jun 22, 2017.

1. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

I don't know how people - even if they dislike the Lakers - can hate on this kid. I mean, he is so talented, he understands the game, his IQ is off the charts and he also has a great "nose for the ball"; which is why he gets so many rebounds. Getting two triple doubles in his first season (in November, no less) is a major accomplishment of historical proportions. He just has to keep figuring out the best way for him to score. And it's not going to be by shooting too many threes a game. Work on the shot in the offseason, obviously. By so far, the kid is tremendous. I am honestly impressed with his raw talent. Same goes for Kuzma, actually: Once he gets stronger he'll be a star.

2. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I think a great deal of the hate comes as backlash to the hype created from his dad and not from the media themselves. They didn't get to "find" him and do the usual Sports Illustrated cover, etc., like they did with Lebron. If they don't create it they want to destroy it. I just think it's a jealousy coming from a lot of the media folks that they are latecomers. Instead of getting behind a good kid with gifted basketball skills they want to judge it themselves, deem him unworthy of comparisons such as court vision, passing and rebounding on a level we haven't seen since Jason Kidd.

Sorry if I sound like some conspiracy theorist or something, but I do think if the sports talking heads do not create something they will undermine to destroy it. It happened as we all saw with Kobe. Whether or not it was Kobe's intention, he looked, played and talked a lot like Jordan. When the comparisons came out from the fan base, the media just went after him - some for his entire career. Mainly just saying over and over, well he's not MJ. And he wasn't. He was Kobe, thank goodness. I never liked Jordan.

LTLakerFan, sirronstuff, tada and 8 others like this.
  3. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

Great game, I don't expect his shot to fall necessarily or his play to be this high consistently but I hope he can find consistency in how he approaches the game/pace.

sirronstuff likes this.
  4. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

I’ll piggy back off of this comment in saying that I think it is the time that we live in, as in the Information Age. Every since the 24hr news cycle started, there’s a need for content, any content can be monetized. When combined with extensive tv channels, internet, and self branding, the desire/need to create content and create news is upon us. This is just an example of what it looks like. Excessive analysis of a good basketball player that is just about 20 games into his professional career. Is he great? Is he a bust? How does he compare? Did you see the look on his face during that play? He didn’t hustle enough on that rebound so he needs to grow up. He needs to talk to Magic? Kuzma dined with Kobe, why not Lonzo? Does he even care to be great? His girlfriend cuts his meat, proof positive he is soft. And on and on... 24/7 of B.S. to enjoy.

5. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

6. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

If you use some common sense, which most people don't have because people are usually entitled gas bags, you will see a starting lineup that has 2 rookies on it and one 2nd year player. And they are competing in a league that does not allow really young teams to compete.

Lonzo's confidence in his shooting has just as much to do with his issues than anything else. He isn't confident shooting and that will have to change as he progresses the next few years. However his nose for the ball and his ability to see plays a few steps over the next guy is huge and that will get better the more he plays. He goes after rebounds like a big and if he gets shooters, geez, he may average 12 assists a game in certain seasons. A lot to look forward to.

7. ElginTheGreat

Welcome to life as a Laker kid...

8. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Yep. Just what I expected and said . . . but WORSE. So this triple double they chose not to ignore but to impugn. Great freaking job media mutts. Disgusting.

9. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

At this point, it's all clickbait trying to jump onto Lonzo's media train.

These writers aren't even worth the time.

10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

what a hack. go analyze every assist and rebound from anyone in any game. what percentage of chris paul and james harden's assists are simply throwing the ball to an open guy who happens to have the ability to hit a shot from 23 ft? how many high schoolers could have made those passes? if the idea is that they create the angles due to their threats as scorers, wouldn't that make the fact that ball finds the angles more impressive?

i also found it funny that he repeated "right place right time" several times pejoratively, without realizing that always being in the right place at the right time is an elite (and rare) nba skill.

if you want to pick apart ball's shooting, i'm down. it's terrible and problematic for his projection as a star. but his floor game on both ends is already top notch--not for a rookie, for any nba player.

11. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

Not good to share those things, you add to the continuation of his BS. James Harden and Chris Paul are renowned for their small balls in big moments. So using them as an example is stupid and ignorant.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and John3:16 like this.
  12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i used them; the author just focused on bashing ball. i just reached for two guys whom the media all agrees are wizards.

13. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Brad Botkin ..... Do not pass GO. Do not collect your 200 views from the click bait. Go directly to eat s*** and die. Warped "sportswriter" MORON.

14. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

The bust showed up for a triple double and what's more impressive are the 16 rebounds and defense.

I want to know if his inner voice is screaming inside his head but on the outside, criticisms and issues roll off his back like water on a duck (or however that saying goes).

15. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Just look on our team for a couple young guys who don't have the "right place right time" part of the game: Clarkson and Randle. Two guys I enjoy having, but don't have the same feel for the game. It's why Kuzma and Ball are darlings right now and the other two aren't.

16. ElginTheGreat

Exactly. How many tiems have we all heard the cliche that the great ones find the ball, are where they are supposed to be when needed, etc.

17. ElginTheGreat

18. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

19. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Interesting and good of Shaw to get Zo to see this too and be more engaged on the boards. Those shooting numbers aren't bad at all. Is it just a coincidence?

20. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Consistency. We need it out of him every single night. He is good enough to affect the game in a variety of ways irrespective if his shot is falling or not...

No more 1st half Phoenix Suns games...