LABron James Discussion: 21st Season - Setting New Standards

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

who can take on 30mill+ w/o sending any contract back?

sirronstuff likes this.
  2. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

What similar package? What team is willing to accept two albatross contracts for a couple firsts that will likely be in the late 20's or so far out in the future the GM who makes the trade won't even still be with the team? The deal that sent CP3 to the Clippers at least provided some players of value like Beverly and Lou Williams. Sam Dekker still had some promise. But here's the kicker, they were almost all expiring except for Dekker (rookie deal) and Beverly who has one more year at 5 million after this season which is a fantastic bargain. Cleveland isn't taking back Anderson and Gordon. No one takes that package. There is no threat. Unless Morey has incriminating evidence against other teams (nude photos of owner's daughters wouldn't even be enough at this point to push through that kind of trade), no one is helping him.

We keep saying it will take Ingram to unload just Deng. How much more is it going to take to unload TWO contracts. I realize Gordon and Anderson have more value than Deng, but with that number attached to them, they are toxic. Also, because of cap holds, they need to unload PJ Tucker as well to get them both close to the max.

3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

nobody, it would require three teams or two trades

gordon makes what clarkson makes. people will take him for free, no sweetener. so, you just need to move anderson, who's playing well and has been remarkably healthy since getting to houston. if it's for lebron, you can probably find a way to attach capela in a s&t if need be. there are lots of ways to do this. they couldn't move 3 years of anderson for melo, but they can probably move 2 years of anderson for lebron with the right additions.

again: it matters a lot that the player has power. if lebron has an opt-in structured like paul's (bet he does), he holds almost all the cards.

i don't know how many times we have to say "nobody will help them do that" prior to watching someone help them do that. there are always teams willing to facilitate trades to create superteams. it's frustrating but true.

further, it's exactly the kind of thing that rob and magic are trying to make possible here. i just think they're two stars behind and don't realize it.

4. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

You keep getting static on this because you haven't created an actual scenario where this happens. Your concept is good, but it's too vague.

If LeBron took to Cleveland and told them, "trade me to Houston or I'll go there as a FA", Cleveland would probably dare him to walk. Getting to Houston would be an adventure for Morey to figure out. Paul/Harden take up 67.3 million in cap space between just the two of them. In order to get LeBron, they'd have to clear just about everyone off the books and/or waive their rights to Chris Paul and he'd have to take less money. It would be gymnastics.

And hey, if LeBron and Paul are willing to do all of that to end up together in Houston, then that was always going to be their end game and that's fine with me. Let's move on to George/Cousins. They're cheaper, younger, and would be great fits for the system. It would be easier for us to accomplish that end anyway.

5. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Well damn...LaBron's been doing his homework. He sure knows alot about us.

Btw, I'm pretty convinced someone in Brony's camp put out the Houston rumor since LA is coming in on Thursday and it woulda been the talk of all the 'Land!

lakerjones, therealdeal and Weezy like this.
  6. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

“Always looking ahead”. Yeah, sure seems he is...

7. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
  8. therealdeal

Can he ramble off the names of every player on every team like that? I remember during Linsanity Kobe didn't even know who Lin was. I don't think it's common to be that familiar with (ostensibly) irrelevant teams.

lakerjones and Barnstable like this.
  9. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

And the bromance continues....

Oh yeah...he's definitely coming next year! Now go get busy and clear up more cap to get the man a fellow star to play with.

10. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

Almost seemed like he made it a point to make sure he named most of the guys.

lakerjones and therealdeal like this.
  11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i'm not going to spend my days detailing the prospect (which i hate, btw). no one could have foreseen the package that nabbed paul. why waste the effort? you've admitted the concept is plausible.

would have said the clips would have dared paul to walk, too. it almost never happens like that. cleveland would rather get something than nothing. hell, they agreed to a S&T when lebron walked the first time, right?

or they just have chris paul come out publicly and say he'll take less than max for one year to get lebron on board, with the understanding that he can opt out and sign another deal next year.

it's really not as hard as people want it to be.

i'm not sure it's easier. again, the issue is that the lakers have no stars in place. it's a huge leap of faith for players to come here given our recent history. houston, on the other hand, has the best record in the league and two top ten nba players. if they don't get lebron, they'll probably swoop in and get george or cousins, tbh.

tada likes this.
  12. therealdeal

I'm not tell you to do it, I'm just telling you that's why you're not getting more people on board with your theory. Plausibility isn't enough for non-fans to join the cause.

The Paul situation was different because he could have signed in Houston as a FA which made the threat more realistic. In order to get James, Houston will have to gut their team up really good and dump contracts. He could threaten to walk to say Chicago or LA or Dallas maybe and use that as leverage, but then if I'm the Cavs I again dare him to do it. I dare him to go to a bad team instead of helping him go to a good one. That also brings up the point: how good can the Rockets be if they have to sell every asset to get to James? Is Harden/Paul/James and a bunch of minimum contracts going to be good enough? James has historically liked depth.

Again that falls under the category of "it was always going to happen" and I'm not going to worry about that. If stars want to take less to play together, we can provide a good backdrop for that but we can't make their decisions for them.

It's 100% easier in respect to financials. Convincing them to come here isn't necessarily easier.

Sorry, I was too lazy to quote and break it down like that.

13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

it's not a cause. i can't stand houston. james harden may be my least favorite player ever. dantoni may be my least favorite coach ever. morey may be my least favorite FO personality ever (though pritchard and hinkie are up there). i just think they've got the market cornered.

houston would have had to dump a lot last year to make room for paul, iirc. nobody saw it coming because they didn't have the space, and it looked difficult to make it. but whatever paul said to the clips did the trick. and i don't think he needs to use other teams as leverage. just put the cards on the table like paul did: i will be in a houston rockets uniform in 3 weeks. whether you get something from it is up to you. it would be smarter to get something from it.

i'm guessing they'd find a way to keep capela, but even if they didn't, the ring-chasing vets will line up to play fun and gun with those three. given the amount of cap space (very little) compared to solid role players likely available in FA, it's totally possible to pick up three high quality vets using MLE (or room exception, if cleveland really does self-immolate instead of trade) and vet mins.

right. what i've been saying, kind of. if lebron wants houston, he's going to get it.

tada likes this.
  14. therealdeal

The key to all of this has always been the Lakers second max slot. It's vital that they have room to add two max deals to the young talent. The four draft picks are going to play an enormous factor. Cheap, high level contributors like Hart, possibly Bryant, Kuzma, Nance if he's still here are going to provide depth that a team like Houston can't provide.

So if the Lakers go to LeBron and or George and tell them look we can add both of you to a fully formed young team that can add the same vet chasers... That's the ideal set up.

I don't think the Rockets needed to shuffle quite as much as they do now. I think it's the difference between dumping a couple pieces and dumping the entire roster. Again, if I'm Cleveland I say go for it. Let Morey gut his roster. If/when LeBron leaves he's going to leave a dumpster fire of contracts. I'm not going to facilitate a trade just to take back some bad pick. I'm sure Gilbert will want to parse the salary down so he's not paying luxury taxes on a bottom feeder.

15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

the rockets can get players as good or better than hart, bryant, and nance via vet ring-chasers, imo.

i'm not sure if the new cba prevents it, but houston could also offer to make it a mega deal in which they take on, say, jr smith's salary in addition to lebron. i know there's like, weird apron rules and such that could stop it, though.

tada likes this.
  16. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Can he ramble off the names of every player on every team like that? Come on Real, of course he can't. He made a point of mentioning most of those young guys, he's not a fool.

lakerjones and therealdeal like this.
  17. sirronstuff

18. therealdeal

The Lakers could also add those same players as well as the rookies they have. They could have a legitimately 15 deep team which could afford rest for their older stars.

Yeah I think such a deal would require third party dump sites.

19. sirronstuff

20. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

is there a world in which the lakers clear enough space for two maxes whilst retaining said young players?

it's why i think if you could get PG now (without cutting into space), it's worth doing. and, to beat a dead horse, why i would have given up more to get him in the summer.

sirronstuff and tada like this.