LABron James Discussion: 21st Season - Setting New Standards

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

To me that’s an easy “yes”. As LeBron ages he will be more of a 4, the game has gone way more small ball, he’s comfortable in the post and has the size. PG and Ingram would be SF and SG in name only IMO, they’d be interchangeable really, but because George is so good at threes he’d play more like the SG. No matter the case, it would be a luxury of a logjam/problem to have.

2. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

^...it would be a quandary that James, errr, Walton will have to figure out.

Juronimo, therealdeal and LTLakerFan like this.
  3. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    declining play has nothing to do with why www.ihatelebron.com exists

it's just another reason to have caution signing an aging player with high mileage. There are PLENTY of other warning signs and reasons to not sign LLLLL that have nothing to do with his play.

Just to clarify.

:Fishwink:

4. GlickenGoshDebate Tactics

GlickenGoshDebate Tactics Guest

It's a horrible candidate for progressive champion. Also if the press was not as much dominated by one side he would be so damn silent...

It's all strategic, like when Woj bomb said he was an inch away from being cut from his first Team USA stint for being a giant douchebag and what miracle someone spray painted the n word on his property. Of course almost no one dares to touch the topic.

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/lebron-james-alleges-racist-graffiti-still-zero-evidence/

5. Big Mamma Jamma

Big Mamma Jamma - Rookie -

I agree with this... it’s funny we all talk about declining play/skills and whether his game will age well or not but I’m more concerned whether he from a maturity standpoint will age well or not.

He’s a narcissist so could he be one to handle limited minutes or coming off of the bench or not being in the game during crunch time?

As we’ve seen... if he doesn’t get his way he could be extremely divisive to a team. I guess the Lakers take a chance with that because he is such a transcendent player but it is not a matter of if but when. Watching those vids where he didn’t engage really pissed me off. This dude is getting paid a lot of money and just stands there right past the half court line. Wow!

sirronstuff likes this.
  6. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Are we talking about LeBron James here? Or Caldwell-Pope? Isaiah Thomas? In what world are we bringing LeBron James off the bench?

abeer3 likes this.
  7. Big Mamma Jamma

Big Mamma Jamma - Rookie -

I should have clarified as he ages with the Lakers (if he comes here). I would say he has two maybe three good seasons left. My understanding he wants a 5 year contract and will likely negotiate a no trade clause because he has the clout to do so. This will be his last contract.

So, what happens when he is no longer effective? Father Time is undefeated. He’s still a great player no doubt but I’ve said this all along I don’t think his skills will age well. He certainly isn’t Kobe who had masterful footwork and is the best post player save Olajuwon that I’ve ever seen. LeBron’s defense is already the worst it’s been in his career. Look at Carmelo. He’s a great offensive player and very skilled scorer and he is nearing bench status in my opinion.

It’s just my opinion but LeBron has labored this season where it used to be easy. I know everyone will point to his stats but I’m talking about what I see.

sirronstuff likes this.
  8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i'm very curious to see when lebron signs his long-term deal. he has REALLY enjoyed the power he's wielded with the two-year, player-option deals. I wouldn't be surprised to see him do that one more time before he cashes in on the long-term mega deal. when does he run up against the over-38 rule?

anyway, yes, whoever gets lebron will likely have to deal with that cap-strangler for the last 2 or 3 years of his deal. i'm guessing any team would do so gladly, actually. the first 2-3 years will be worth it in terms of both on and off court advantages gained. we just finished watching the lakers do exactly that for kobe, so i'm pretty sure our franchise, in particular, is willing to pay such costs.

sirronstuff and therealdeal like this.
  9. therealdeal

The most any team besides Cleveland can offer is 4 seasons, so there will not be a 5th season attached to the deal he signs with the Lakers.

In four years LeBron, barring injury, will not be bad enough to be benched and even if he were, there's zero chance the Lakers do that for so, so many reasons. Scaled back time? Sure, but he will never be benched. The final year of his contract will almost surely be more expensive than his production, but having LeBron is worth it. It's a worthwhile investment for oh so many reasons. Financial, culture building, leadership, mentorship, investment, prestige, etc etc etc. One bad season of LeBron (and that's just an assumption, not a given) is a risk I'm 100% willing to take.

abeer3, Jaguar and KareemtheGreat33 like this.
  10. GlickenGoshDebate Tactics

Leadership... From Lebron.:No2:

Culture.:Byronfistfight:

Mentorship.:KobeConfused:

tada, sirronstuff and alam1108 like this.
  11. therealdeal

LeBron is and has been for years a role model for younger players. He is the face of the NBA. He knows more about what it takes to win a title and remain competitve than anyone on our roster. It's not close. Yes he would be a good leader, mentor, and cultural ballast.

abeer3 and Kenzo like this.
  12. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Bend the knee, boys, The King is coming to Elay

13. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

...James has never been in trouble off the court. Domestic violence, assault, drug use, firearm charges, none of that sort.

14. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    3707E5EB-FEF1-4F3E-81CA-B588C3262288.jpeg

jbiggs and abeer3 like this.
  15. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

This is the only site where politics are spoken and no one turns into a complete ahole. No matter who they support.

alam1108 and sirronstuff like this.
  16. GlickenGoshDebate Tactics

In that case i feel sorry for those players.

We can thank ESPN for that. This 2018, that is an outdated concept.

First 2 titles was under Miami management. His CLE title might not happen if Dray does not get suspended. Knowing about competitivness, have you seen the cluster 4 weeks old sperm bucket he assembled this year and the constant drama surrounding his teams?

jbiggs likes this.
  17. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Kang of subliminals at it again!

Btw LaBron's draft order for the starting 5 were: KD, Brow, Ky, Boogie.... And Davis was the first dude he chest bumped at the buzzer...Maybe there's something to that Davis trade rumor after all.

Also if Bron plays any semblance of defense like that for us next season, I'm super excited to see that next to George!

Dope game overall!

18. Purp n Gold

Purp n Gold - Rookie -

There are some polarizing takes on LeBron on here. Just to be clear, he would be a massive net positive to any team he joins. Ours included. But this is what I'm most worried about: I think it's possible that he is too dominant of a player on the court, and certainly more influential in team operations than I would prefer.

His agency already has its fingerprints on our roster with the KCP signing, and we helped 'Bron & Klutch out big time during the deadline. So at this point I think we've entered a "business relationship" with Klutch/Bron. I just hope Jeanie/Magic/Pelinka leverage enough for our Lakers if LeBron comes here.

19. therealdeal

There are far worse role models than a person who has spent millions trying to help the underprivileged in his home town. There are worse mentors than someone who has been to more consecutive finals appearances than anyone since Bill Russell. There are worse leaders than someone who has won 3 titles and been to 8 Finals. There are worse influences on culture than someone who has built their career on being consistently in the Playoffs.

Claiming LeBron would be a poor fit for anything other than financial reasons (late in his contract) is a fallacy. He is still the best player in the world, he is still winning at a high level, and he's still making his team better. If you don't like the guy for personal reasons, that's fine. I'm not going to say the guy isn't a narcissistic dweeb a lot of the time, but that doesn't matter to me. What matters to me is being competitive and there's no better influence in the league on being consistently competitive than LeBron right now. If Kobe or Shaq or Jordan or Kareem were in the league, I'd want them but they're not, so LeBron it is.

20. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Dude was clutch.