Larry Nance Jr. Discussion: Don't Fake The Funk On A Nance Dunk

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by tada, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers 6th Man -

Obviously a dumb move. I saw Nance play once this year. Might be better than many think. Guys that work that hard have a way of getting a lot better quickly when it is all they are doing. That is if he doesn't get squashed first.

Battle Tested20 and therealdeal like this.
  2. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Randle could be a Draymond type player as well. Mitch seems to be copying his mentor's game plan.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  3. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Yeah, I quickly warmed up to the pick once I read up on him.

Definitely not getting worked up about a late first round pick.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  4. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

No need too. If anything, I'd rather add him on as a project and see where it goes. Honestly, I haven't watched enough of him to form an opinion.

5. ElginTheGreat

He seems pretty athletic and a good defender. Hoping he can bring that to the next level.

therealdeal likes this.
  6. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

See Larry as a Kris Humphries type of player. Physical, active, do the other things on the court type of guy.

Hell, maybe he'll hook up with a Kardashian while he's out here...

trodgers likes this.
  7. Savory Griddles

[​IMG]

trodgers, lakersyunowin, TIME and 4 others like this.
  8. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Yeah, honestly, I thought it was a bit of a reach by our Front Office. He was projected to go second round, and the little I did watch of him, he doesn't scream FIRST ROUNDER TOO me. From my understanding, he did great in the workouts. I even heard the word 'dominated' in one workout session he had. So, given that we put more emphasis in workouts than any other team I know of, I could understand the Lakers decision.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  9. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I said it in the Gameday Thread but one of the twitter heads posed it this way:

The Lakers couldn't find a trade they wanted for the #27, so they wanted a guy they felt would be worth at least two years on their roster. They went for the guy they liked a lot. If you HAVE to give out a guaranteed deal late in the 1st, you go get the guy you really want. Sure you can wait and try to buy into the 2nd round, but they were confident this way to get not only a guy they wanted in Nance Jr. BUT also a guy like Anthony Brown who they also liked in workouts.

10. Savory Griddles

Yep. Looking at the roster, they both have legit shots at making it with one of them likely a a healthy scratch or D-League. It is getting pretty crowded though. List of players we have drafted or returning:

Russell
    Clarkson
    J. Brown
    Kobe
    Swaggy
    Randle
    Black
    Nance
    Kelly
    Sacre

That's ten guys with players like Brown and Upshaw lurking with non-guaranteed deals. Then there's the matter of a max or close to max free agent. So let's say we blow our entire load on 1 guy, we are at 11 people on the roster, possibly 13 if Upshaw and Brown make it leaving us only one roster spot (since Mitch never likes to carry the full 15 in case of an emergency).

I think we may be unloading Kelly somehow.

11. ElginTheGreat

I also read in a couple of spots that Nance had made a big surge and was being looked at by some in the late 20s or early first round. I can't say it wasn't a reach, but I think he has enough upside to justify it especially since we still ended up with Brown and Upshaw.

It seemed like there was a run where every name that popped into my head ended up being announced by Woj as heading to another team. I think a lot of the guys were targeting got scooped up and Nance was one of handful of guys left that we still really liked still there. I think I also read we were having difficulty acquiring another second rounder. With all of that, we just went ahead and grabbed him.

12. ElginTheGreat

I think Kelly and Sacre will both be gone, but we will see.

13. therealdeal

There's probably someone willing to let go of a 2nd rounder to get Kelly. He's shown some solid upside. Right now assuming we keep Brown, the roster is at:

Russell
    Clarkson/J. Brown
    Bryant/Young/A. Brown
    Randle/Kelly/Nance Jr.
    Black/Sacre

Mitch hinted heavily that we'd be going after a FA Center/Power Forward... We definitely have a lot of forwards now which I guess is cool. I hope they can contribute right away. Most people think we went after older guys because they'd be more likely to come in and just be able to contribute more or less day one.

14. ElginTheGreat

15. Savory Griddles

Our roster kind of has a weird balance right now. Nance is being projected as a sf or pf for us. Not sure what we're doing up front. Right now we have Randle locked in at the 4 (most likely) with Black as our backup center and Lance and Kelly at backup pf. I think if we sign LMA or DeAndre, we will unload both Kelly AND Sacre somehow. Big man rotation that looks something like this?

Randle/Black/Nance
    DeAndre/Black/Upshaw

Sort of roll with a 3 man big rotation with Upshaw and Nance filling in spot duty for fouls or injury.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  16. therealdeal

I can dig that. I don't know about Tarik getting THAT many minutes though. I heard Mitch say he really wants to bring back Ed Davis still... I don't know how he plans on doing that, but that's what he said. I think the Lakers ideally go for something like

Randle/Black/Kelly/Nance
    Jordan/Davis/Sacre/Upshaw

With one or two of those guys either moving out or just not playing much. I could see the Lakers putting Upshaw in the D-League to keep him honest even if he shines in Summer League.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  17. therealdeal

Here's his dad winning a dunk contest just so you can see where our guy got his hops from:

trodgers likes this.
  18. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I'm still not clear on this. If you have a player on your D-league team that suddenly another team wants, and can afford or offers X amount of dollars, does the parent club still have a chance to match or beat the offer to the player and his agent? Like restricted free agency? Or can they go poof just like that?

19. therealdeal

I think an undrafted guy like Upshaw can be signed away from us, but honestly I'm not sure. I still think that's a route they go though because the buzz I'm hearing is most teams won't take a chance on this guy. The Lakers are hoping for the best but I heard that not a single team had him on their draft boards even as a late 2nd round buy-in type of guy. I mean obviously he didn't get drafted.

There's risk to losing the player if he gets signed to a 10-Day contract and the team loves him. I think that happened with Gerald Green a few years ago. The other side of the coin is that this kid has a lot of issues and if we're helping him through them, then we know more about him then everyone else does so we'd theoretically be giving him the call up before anyone else does.

20. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

Looking at this pick more today, it looks more and more solid.