Lakers Young Core Rank List

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by Doc Brown, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    With news from Ireland, that TheRealDeal posted somewhere in the depths of the DAR thread, that the Lakers could be remodeling this offseason with as many as 7 or 8 guys off the roster, where do you guys rank our young guys with each other? And who/how many are you willing to give up this offseason? What is your outlook on maximizing the young guys you want to keep?

For me, my list is....

1.) Ingram
    2.) Zubac
    3.) Randle
    4.) Russell*/Top pick*
    5.) Nance
    6.) Clarkson
    7.) Black
    8.) Nwaba
    9.) Hou 1st

(Guys that aren't included: Ennis, MWP, Moz, Deng, TRob, MWP, Young)

1-3 are my keepers, 4-9 can go in a trade to get a star player back. If we end up with a top 3 pick, that gets placed at 4 in an either/or scenario where a team can take Russell or the pick, not both. IMO to adequately develop players we need to limit how many we have and get great veteran players around them. If we keep everyone and get lucky enough to keep both picks, we will be going into next season trying develop 7-9 guys and that's just not going to happen.

Ingram - Get PG in here so that we have a star two player that Ingram can emulate his game after. Have him work on his 3 all offseason and try to develop him more towards dominating in the post. With his playmaking skills if he can get his shots down, he's going to be fun to watch on offense. Defensively he's already miles ahead of the game. Just tighten up on the little things like not get caught ball watching.

Zubac - Cut down the fat, solidify the post game, work on expanding range to three point line, work on lateral quickness for defense.

Randle - Get a defensive coach in here that actually knows what they are doing, I don't think anyone on the staff is teaching the defense appropriately given that everyone sucks and does everything wrong. Keep expanding that range and playmaking. Ideally I would like to get Biff to push Randle to a small ball 5 vs 6th man based on matchups. Surround him with shooters that can actually make baskets and let him have the middle of the floor to do his thing.

* - I guess I really have 4 keepers, but since we don't know if the pick is ours yet, DAR would go in the trade.

I think three is the perfect number of guys to develop, 4 is pushing it but I would love to keep at least one of DAR/Top pick.

johnnyboy, tada, Barnstable and 2 others like this.
  2. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I guess I'll come back to this after I've had some time to relax a bit because at this point I don't have a keeper. I'd give anyone on the roster up for George and probably Butler too right about now. I honestly don't see how you bring in anyone of George's caliber without including Ingram.

I won't shed any tears to see anyone on the current roster go as long as we don't get completely fleeced on the trade and give all of them up for one guy or something.

abeer3, alam1108 and therealdeal like this.
  3. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Mine is similar:

1. Ingram
    2. Zubac
    3. Top 3
    4. Randle
    5. Clarkson
    6. Russell
    7. Nance
    8. Black
    9. Nwaba
    10. Hou 1st
    11. T-Robinson
    12. Ennis

I'm basically in agreement on your proposed deals. Ingram and Zubac are almost untouchable, I'd need to get blown away. If I'm moving the Top 3 pick (assuming we keep it), then I want an All-Star back. Randle, Clarkson, and Russell can all be packaged for something good, but if I had to keep one it's Randle.

Nance Jr., Tarik Black, and the Hou 1st are all fine to stay, but would make good throw-ins for trades. Nwaba needs a camp invite. Robinson deserves a camp invite. Ennis will probably really need to brush up on his Greek or Chinese.

Barnstable likes this.
  4. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Mine is the same as Doc's just switch Russell/Top 3 into the three spot and Randle down a notch to the four spot. I still think Russell fits here better than Randle does. And this is coming from a guy who likes Randle more than Russell. I am still higher on keeping Russell and pairing him with another guard if we keep our pick and trying to go after PG with Randle and Clarkson trade. As much as I love Randle's motor and I'm not opposed to keeping him, I still think a stretch four who defends like Ibaka is a whole lot better fit for our team.

I don't move Zu, period. 7 footers like him don't grow on trees and he's more valuable to us I believe than anything you'd get back in trade. Ingram I might move for PG but would prefer not to. That's only because they play the same position although it's clear to me that they could work together here if you did a different trade.

5. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I'm pulling for an about face, and would like to see all of them figure it out quickly. I'd like to add to what we have, and for them to all give us the signs of life we need to see. I might not be happy, but I really don't want to start ranking which one of my children I have to give away.

:dwightcrying:

Except for Tyler Anus. He plays like s***. :Noddingyes:

tada and 432J like this.
  6. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

Nobody is untouchable to me for the right price. None of these guys have proven enough to me to warrant being untouchable.

ElginTheGreat and sirronstuff like this.
  7. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    1. Ingram
    2. Russell
    3. Zubac
    4. Randle
    5. Top Pick
    6. Nance
    7. Black
    8. Clarkson
    9. Nwaba

After the top four, things are so...in flux. I would honestly prefer to keep the Houston pick than the 3, knowing what we might be able to get for it. I have no problems moving Nwaba, but he's so cheap, it makes sense to keep him. Clarkson isn't bad, but he'd be the first guy I look to move. Black's good value with another year left. Nance is about maxed out. Great teammate, plays hard, but it would block me from doing nothing. I'd be open to moving Randle for a stretch 4, but it would have to be a really good deal. I'm thinking we can just put shooters around him and be fine on offense. I'm really only super intrigued by the potential of Ingram, Russell, and Zubac.

abeer3, TIME, ZenMaster and 6 others like this.
  8. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

Ingram
    Russell
    Zubac
    Top 3 pick
    Randle
    Clarkson
    Nance
    Black
    Nwaba

9. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Exactly this. Those top 3 are untouchable to me.

After a long season of seeing this team suck, these are the only 3 that I feel WILL figure it out and be really great players or All Stars. I see the potential in Russ, but there's something missing in his character/personality IMO. I just don't think he's a leader, and I don't know that he'll ever realize his potential as a player. I'd like to keep the pick, but I'm afraid Magic will trade it for a proven vet All Star, and I can't say that would be wrong.

The rest, I've grown attached to, but there will be casualties of turning this team around, so I've decided to just let them go already in my mind.

raviator, tada and therealdeal like this.
  10. sirronstuff

I wonder if we do get the pick and get a "Ball" like player, would we keep him at the 2? Would we give that lineup some time to grow?

11. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

1. Deng (can't wait to see what this guy becomes in a couple years with a little experience)
    2. Ingram
    3. Zu
    4. Russell
    5. Randle
    6. Clarkson

432J, tada, therealdeal and 3 others like this.
  12. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

1. Ingram
    2. Randle or Zubac
    3. Top 3 Pick '17
    4. Russell
    5. Clarkson
    6. Nance
    7. Black
    8. Houston's 1st '17
    9. Nwaba
    10. T-Robinson
    11. Ennis

A lot of the value many put on Ingram is based on his intrinsic skills and his body (length), neither of which are totally in sync yet, or close to mature but damn that kid just fights and doesn't complain and does the work, it's hard not to throw in with him. I think he mentally just has a confidence that his complex game will all come together at some point and he'll be someone's Pippin. That's why I absolutely don't want to trade him. He will draw in that star big guard, the next MJ/Kobe or close as we can get. Give them Zubac and we roll. I have Randall tied with Zu because Randall is a starter on many teams in the NBA right now and Zu is still a project but one with a very foreseeable outcome IMO.

Lot of questions about these guys to ask over summer. Maybe the biggest questions are Russell, Randall & Clarkson. Are these guys going to improve or is this the plateau? Randle picked up the pass game this season, flashing those trip-dubs, brought his FG% up to .487 and added a few dimes so he's the one I would expect to do work and come back improved. I can't help but think that he might be our most valuable asset in some GMs eyes right now from a trade-now perspective. I think he's matured a bit more than the others and is just about ripe for trading value-wise.

Assuming we get our top 3 I don't have a problem with Randle and Russell going out for a star. Clarkson either. Part of me says wait until next season but what if Russell is revealed as an at-best off the bench scoring option, JC shows that what you see is what you get and Randle has basically peaked?

Just a note on picks; if we get our top 3 pick this summer, we lose our 2nd round picks for both '17-'18 to Orlando but instead will get back our '19 1st rounder we traded them since we can't trade firsts in consecutive years. We'll take two seconds for a first though and it makes retaining our top3 even more important.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  13. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Agree with @Barnstable I hope to keep those 3.

Ingram leads the pack by quite a large margin. He's got all the qualities of becoming a franchise player; talented, coachable, and hard-working. Love his maturity and overall demeanor.

Zubac has replaced Russell as one of the big 3 imo. And I'm a Randle fanboi so he's untouchable. One thing to note about Zubac and Randle is that they were always a die-hard Lakers fan. They bleed purple and gold. That matters to me.

14. sirronstuff

[​IMG]

Whoever did this gif will be extremely disappointed that it had a life span of 1 year before it was obsolete. :dwightcrying:

abeer3, John3:16, Juronimo and 3 others like this.
  15. Kou

Kou - Lakers 6th Man -

1) Ingram
    2) Zubac
    3) Russell
    4) Randle
    5) Top 3 Pick
    6) Nance
    7) Clarkson
    8) Black

The rest can fight it out.

16. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    This is exactly my stance and the order as well right now.

lakerjones likes this.
  17. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

abeer3, John3:16 and sirronstuff like this.
  18. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
    For me, here's my order:

1. Ingram - great feel for the game, puts his head down and works hard, has greet instincts on the defensive end, has all star potential
    2. Zubac - big man with skills, once he gets stronger, he'll be a very solid NBA center
    3. Russell - Our most enigmatic but clearly our most skilled player. He just needs to get right mentally. I'm not ready to give up on him.

19. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand

So, this is like, my favorite gif of all time.

sirronstuff likes this.
  20. sirronstuff

the original was pretty awesome too
    They used different parts of the clip to do it

[​IMG]

side note:

Just ran across this one while doing a search, kinda cracked me up.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017