Lakers Front Office Can't Wait For Kobe To Retire.....

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by sirronstuff, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Ryanwestlombardi

Ryanwestlombardi - Rookie -

Retired
    I simply dismiss the talking heads and so called journalists that spout their ignorant, hateful views about Kobe Bryant. Look around the league at the salaries being paid to the walking dead... Admiration is all I feel about Bryant, yeah 23 mil for a couple of years, he's worth it! The buzz created by the Abbot story, the national broadcast schedule showing the Lakers, with Bryant on opening night and plenty through the season, the seats he fills in arenas that are empty when he and the Lakers are not playing there, are all indicators of his value not just to the Lakers, but to the NBA.,,,, oh yeah, and he's still a damn good player that plays like it's his last game every night, when his weekly check is signed the Buss's do it with a smile and the same admiration I have for him.

LTLakerFan, ZenMaster and therealdeal like this.
  2. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

True , ESPN sucks ... and as of now our team is terrible and that's the only thing which matters .

I have no doubt Abbott made stuff up BUT Kobe signing ( and our FO offering) this extension and thinking he still can be the number 1 option didn't help in attracting free agents ...

3. Ryanwestlombardi

Ryanwestlombardi - Rookie -

Retired
    So tell me what FA's this past off season realistically were putting the Lakers on their short list to sign with? Forget about Kobe's contract, the money was there. True he is the # 1 option, so you need complimentary players, not a guy like Anthony. They had come off a horrific season, did not have a coach in place, Only had Sacre, Marshall and an injured Nash under contract, plus Bryant. If you were a top FA you had to look at that and think... hell there's just better options for the same money or more if I stay put. No way Lebron, Bosh, or Lowry jumps on board. Who else was there? Ariza?

4. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Too much logic. Abbot head must hurt from such efforts. Facts checking is also very hard.

lakerjones likes this.
  5. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    I'm preparing a systematic response to the Abbott article. I begin with the graph he includes showing FGA per game since 2004/05 to the current season. Hint: Kobe shoots the most. I include these two graphs.

Combined Championships from 2004-05 though 2013-14
    Dwyane Wade xxx (three)
    Kobe Bryant xx (two)
    LeBron James xx (two)
    Carmelo Anthony (zero)
    Kevin Durant (zero)
    -And, of course, this excludes the other rings Kobe has, which would put him atop the list. Would Melo and Durant shoot more if it gave them a chance at a ring? Of course they would.

All-Star Teammates from 2004-05 through 2013-14
    Wade xxxxxxxxxxx (eleven)
    LeBron xxxxxxxxxx (ten)
    Melo xxxxxx (six)
    Bryant xxxxx (five)
    Durant xxx (three)

Who had the most help? Wade. Who won the most rings? Wade. Who had the second most help? James. Who won the second most rings? James and Kobe. Who had the least help? Durant. Who won the fewest rings? Durant and the "most underrated super star" in the league, despite having more all-star teammates than Kobe and twice as many as Durant.

Doc Brown and ElginTheGreat like this.
  6. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    I don't think Abbot's head hurts at all. He thinks he's totally correct in his assessment. That is why when friends of mine ask me about the Kobe ranking and the Abbot story I just tell them that I'm not going to talk about it because to do so empowers and gives ESPN too much credit. They don't deserve to be talked about. Because in a sick, messed up way actually complaining about it empowers them. They will never look inward at some of their writers and scoff at their content. It creates news true or not.