Lakers Front Office Can't Wait For Kobe To Retire.....

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by sirronstuff, Oct 19, 2014.

1. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

2. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

^^ Excellent article. Well written and right on the money. Thanks for finding and posting that alam 1108!

alam1108 likes this.
  3. lakerjones

Agreed. Totally transparent.

4. lakerjones

I agree. I also think Jeannie should come out and dispel this nonsense. I don't want to hear from Jim. I don't trust that guy, nor do many Lakers fans. But Jeannie would be cool.

5. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Cowherd had Abbot on this morning. I tuned out immediately and skipped to the Dan Patrick Show.

Time for me to tune out on Cowherd again for a while.

thkthebest likes this.
  6. lakerjones

^^ I'm not a fan of Cowherd at all. He used to defend Kobe but over the past few years he jumped on the Lebron train and has become more of a Kobe basher.

therealdeal likes this.
  7. therealdeal

The guy doesn't know much about basketball. He's a football guy. When he starts talking about basketball I find myself rolling my eyes a lot.

But the fact that he had Abbot on at all... I know they're both ESPN employees but ESPN should be burying Abbot for his idiocy and instead they're embracing him. Time to distance myself again. And that stinks because I'd finally watched a SportsCenter again recently. Not anymore.

LTLakerFan and lakerjones like this.
  8. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Yes that is a great read, thanks. I wish these guys though, even him would wait a couple more weeks until we get into the frickin' actual "games" to make proclamations on where Bryant's game is now. He's looking pretty damn good to me, less vertical notwithstanding.

Loved this particular comment, right near the top after the article:

"Title is a bit passive... I personally would've gone with, "Abbott is a hating moron, and ESPN is twice as dumb for giving him a stage"
    Great article though!"

alam1108 and lakerjones like this.
  9. lakerjones

It was by design realdeal. Again, look at the timing of all of ESPN's hits on Kobe - the 40th ranking, Broussard saying he's done and that he's an average at best player, and then this Abbot piece as the final part of the triumvirate. It's hardly coincidence as it's been propagated by the same entity even if there are different talking heads. Why, I don't know. Of course I think it drives headlines and hits because Kobe is such a polarizing figure - bad press is just as enticing to them as the good. Either way generates more readership, more news, more debate . . . and it's preseason so there isn't really anything happening otherwise. It bugs me, too. But they have always had a thing about Kobe.

therealdeal likes this.
  10. therealdeal

Oh I know it's designed, but that doesn't mean I'm going to respect Cowherd. I didn't hear the interview, but I very much doubt that Cowherd called Abbot out for this nonsense. Stephen A. Smith hasn't been afraid of voicing the obvious: Kobe is great, will be good, and will retire a legend.

These guys at ESPN are so desperate for headlines and attention that they're willing to be rumor mongers and morons to get it. Pathetic.

11. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
    I agree. Colorado is what started all of this. Before that he was set up to be the face of the NBA.

Once Colorado happened the backlash began heavy so Stern had to change course. This is why they have pushed Lebron so hard to make him the new face of the NBA.

Perdurabo likes this.
  12. puffyusaf#2

puffyusaf#2 - Lakers Starter -

Author of "Just a Thought"
    You know I think it has to do with the fact that if they let Kobe just be he will be the most popular story. It does not fit with the ESPN agenda of selling the Lebron story. This isn't to hate on Bron but that is where they put their chips but Kobe keeps not only coming back but being the bigger story. Just look at how much they try to inflate what Bron is doing at every turn and then the very moment Kobe does something of value they try to deflate it. Kobe made an amazing play but I watched a piece that simply covered how bad defensively he was on that play by the kid in Utah. ESPN only glosses over the Lakers successes and magnifies their failures. Kobe messes up that agenda big time.

13. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

I think we should just stop talking anything regarding BSPN. Their agenda is pretty obvious and it's getting old. Let them praise the King and **** em.

14. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Another great response is from DrewGarrisonSBN on twitter. If anyone can post it that'd be great, twitter acts up on my phone.

15. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I don't know. Apparently I am in the vast minority on this Abbott article. I don't think everything he said is true as he has a long history of Kobe hate even when Kobe was in his prime, but Kobe's difficult personality and being a self proclaimed "---hole" doesn't let him off the hook completely. I guess I'm not doing a good job getting "likes" by going against the grain. :)

16. LTLakerFan

Yeah I'd agree with that no problem. But that's not what you put into the body of what you said earlier. Which was him everyone knows not worth 1/2 his salary, and the comment on no free agents, but who did we really have a shot at in the star ranks? Melo again, very likely was influenced by the wife who has a show there (I read at the time) and kids in school. And oh yeah a lot more money. And including Pau (possibly) as if that was a reason (maybe) he left.

17. southbaylakers72

southbaylakers72 - Rookie -

Abbott admitted on 710 AM this morning with Cowherd that much of the 'research' was from 2013 but claims things are the same now. So Bynum's agent, Ariza's agent, etc. are all relevant today? I read another blurb on this which I am sure you have all seen which includes the discussion about D12 contract talks where Kobe was not 'in the room' and showed up late. Two points: First, this is 'old news'; and Second, it again mis-characterizes 'fact' to put forth the agenda. Recall the rumor was both that D12 was both pissed that Kobe did not show up on time and with things Kobe said. Now, the articles claim that Kobe was in the meeting. Thought it was 'at the practice facility' Kobe caught him after getting off a plane. If true, why bring up that Kobe was in gym shorts and a t-shirt with a necklace on when 'the discussion' (that D12 did not like) occurred? Seems to me like the best evidence here that truth is being obscured by the author(s) to make their point.

I agree with what Abbott said in one respect: This is old news. Nothing more to make of this. Leave it in the past. Its like Charles Barkley going on TNT and saying "Kobe's old" and "slow" and "not what he used to be" Kobe is a difficult teammate? Really.

18. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

This stuff gives me a headache, so much Kobe hate, so much unfair bs being thrown at him, from cowardly "anonymous" sources. There isn't even a chance for him to defend himself in this position. Anyway, another decent breakdown of this and pretty good read

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nba/eye-o...mous-sources-takedown-of-kobe-bryant?v=1&vc=2

Oh and screw the haters like Marcelus Wiley. Also, thank you for driving Dwight Howard away by not kissing his a**, and Bynum by not "sharing", Kobe, I'll be forever grateful. Lol at people listing this as a negative.

lakerjones and southbaylakers72 like this.
  19. southbaylakers72

southbaylakers72 - Rookie -

Thanks Weezy, that was the link I was looking for.

20. LTLakerFan

I definitely recall that word was Kobe had to miss the formal meeting as his scheduled flight back from out of the country and gotten delayed a bit. Was just going to miss it by hour or two. I was irked thinking why Kobe cut it that close with the flight schedule. Anyone recall that ever changing, that Kobe wasn't in the formal meeting and was going to hook up with him afterwards? I got the impression later that day or night, and was "assuming" it was evening time. Don't know then about Kobe in workout gear. Maybe that is what he traveled in and was comfortable and he was still in it? That would make sense.