Lakers Eager To See Their Own Version Of A Death Lineup (Pincus)

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jul 19, 2018.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Four year investment and we're supposed to play with gloves on? Unleash what we have. Experiment, get fun, get crazy. Why would we have LeBron and then play it safe with him only playing the 3/4 spot when we have options to do more? His ability to switch in our defense was lauded as a positive before he signed here, why would that change now?

Developing the kids is what this season is going to be about, that's the truth. If we're going to take the next step forward as constructed, the kids need to be at the forefront of that development or we're not going to compete. A lineup featuring out kids and LeBron should be exciting for us, I'm not sure why it isn't right now. Why are we holding on to these kids if we're not going excited about their ability to play? :D

Cookie, Toklat, alam1108 and 2 others like this.
  2. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

The difference I see between Randle and Moe is that Moe will do the little things, and not care about getting the ball. He'll be constant energy and his defense will be a surprise as it was in SL (he averaged a couple blocks or something like that). He'll be the first guy on the floor for balls, he'll go after rebounds instead of waiting for them to fall to him. He's a mobile 7 footer as well, so he provides a little more size inside as well. I don't have to mention his ability to space the floor too.

What I liked about Randle was intensity, when he was challenged. My only gripe is that Randle needed touches for him to be satisfied, and it's not like he had the skillset to command it outside of his bully ball. His ability to board and push and brute strength will definitely be missed, but if you think about, Bron is the ulimate version of Randle, so we won't be missing much.

Battle Tested20 and LTLakerFan like this.
  3. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Im not taking any chances on the 1st significant free agent signing we have had since Shaq. Guys will come here to play with him. But running him into the ground isn't very attractive to me and probably won't be to any other free agents (see Kobe Achilles and how even his hermano, Pau, bounced).

I'm not saying putting him at the 5 in spot situations is similar to how Lue managed his minutes last year, but why risk anything with the dude when we truly need him in May. Not to mention, we can switch everything, but our kiddies outside of Zo/Hart have not proven themselves defensively capable, let alone Bron.

If Nance wasn't traded, our most legit opportunity at a kiddie death lineup woulda been Zo/Hart/BI/Bron/Nance

But Kuz doesn't play any D...BI hasn't proven yet that he can sustain that type of effort...Zo isn't durable enough yet, so if it comes to a lineup I can count on in the playoffs, I go with the vets for now. Teams have been trying to outscore the dubs for a minute....the strategy should be defense and bothering them (not allowing them to get into their comfort zone) as oppose to running up the score and pushing tempo.

KareemtheGreat33 and lakerjones like this.
  4. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

The point of the article wasn't that we'd flash that lineup a whole lot, it was just to see what would happen. In fact, in the article itself, Pincus says the exec who calls for it said it might not even happen until well into the year. At that point we'll know more about Zo's health, Kuzma's growth, Ingram's growth, etc. It's just an experimental lineup.

I'd say for the most part we run LeBron at the 3/4 spot with Ingram and Kuzma respectively at the other forward.

But say it's the 2nd or 3rd game against the Warriors and they put out Steph/Klay/Iggy/Green/Durant are we not going to answer with Ball/Hart or Pope/Ingram/Kuzma/LeBron?? Where's the fun? :D

5. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

That lineup is absolutely exciting to think about to experiment with. If it doesn’t work it doesn’t work, but damn I want to see it. I fail to see how we miss the playoffs if LeBron remains healthy though. We won 35 games last year with Lonzo and Ingram missing significant time, the messy Randle bench situation probably costing us some games, and us blowing at least 5 easy wins with late game mistakes due to inexperience and having no closer. We mostly played with a lineup of

Zo/Caruso/Ennis
    KCP/Clarkson/
    Ingram/Kuzma
    Randle/Nance
    Lopez/Randle

And we won 35 games. Come on now. LeBron, Rondo, Stephenson, McGee, Wagner, and Svi aren’t good for 15+ more wins?

Cookie, Khmrp and lakerfan2 like this.
  6. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I’d watch just to see how often Lebron would flop.

7. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

Said it before and I’ll say it again: playing Lebron at the 5 against certain lineups may end up increasing his longevity.

We switch everything and there are only a handful of centers with an actual post game to pound down low.

Our guards are more likely to take a beating in the post (see IT last year).

therealdeal and sirronstuff like this.
  8. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    All joking aside, I want to see it. Definite possibilities.

9. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Tough crowd today.

I'd absolutely would love to see that line up, heck I think we end some games with that line up. I think Ball/Hart would be interchangeable with Rondo or KCP depending on situations but the other 3 are locked in.

Obviously that isn't the starting line up, we'd use it whenever teams go small which is often nowadays. Or we need a quick punch, fast and hard. Don't get why some are up in arms about it.

Cookie, Weezy, therealdeal and 2 others like this.
  10. vasashi17

Bron in his 15 seasons has played at the center position on average 1% of the time (4% in his 4 years in Miami and 1% of his 11 years in Cleveland).
    During the postseason, he played a max amount at the center spot 22% of the time in '11/12 for his first title in Miami but on average only 4% of his 13 trips to the postseason (8% in 4 postseason trips in Miami and 1% in 9 postseason appearances in Cleveland).

Dae-dae is about the same size as Bron but has been a DPoY, has been on multiple All Defensive Nba teams and has roughly 6 years of youth on Bron. The dubs most effective and most used playoff lineup wasn't even the Hampton 5...it was Iggy being replaced by Looney and Dae-dae was moved to the 4 with Looney playing the 5.

Bron has moments on defense ("the block") but normally he "rests" on that side of the floor and is a huge liability as a result. If you're telling him to switch on everything, that's more work on him and if he gets switched onto a guard on the perimeter, its really not in his favor.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Give Bron the right supporting cast and lets go get him in the Finals for a 9th consecutive time. Bron at center is an experiment not really worth taking since that particular "death lineup" (till proven otherwise) has defensive liabilities all up and down it.

Now if we're trying to outscore folks, then it will work...but defensively (which is what the postseason is all about), forgetaboutit!

Lastly, lets stop imitating the dubs...Let's do us...and have them adjust to us.

bfc1125roy and John3:16 like this.
  11. alam1108

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    Well we've never seen Lebron with this supporting cast so why not experiment to see what's effective with 2018-19 version of Lebron. Just because he played center so and so percentages previously doesn't mean it can't increase now. Plus on those teams he had Bosh and Love who would play small ball center.

"(till proven otherwise)"
    Exactly, until proven otherwise. Every lineup is worth experimenting when you had this much turn around on the roster.

Lonzo, Hart and maybe Ingram are no slouches defensively. Kuzma needs work and Lebron isn't the same defensively as his younger self. But he took his rests while on defense because he had to do everything on the offensive end, that changes this year.

I'm just astonished at how quickly you are dismissing this without even seeing a nanosecond of it.

Cookie likes this.
  12. Lakeshow85

Lakeshow85 - Rookie -

Or Pritchard

Cookie, John3:16 and Khmrp like this.
  13. vasashi17

Alam, I'm just tired of imitating the hampton5/Dantoni7orLess/smallballs/Liv3 Or Di3 offenses.

f*** imitating that s***, fam! Let's do us and do something different.

You said "tough crowd", but that's the problem. I don't want to be part of the crowd any more. It's time to march to our own beat and stop chasing a gimmick that works for another team.

On a different note, it's been too long. Time to bring the big man back (which is why I was hoping for Mitchell Robinson to fall to us at 39. Heck I woulda moved down from 25 and sacrificed a chance at Moe to go get him.

OmarE, KareemtheGreat33 and John3:16 like this.
  14. Lakeshow85

Lakeshow85 - Rookie -

Yup
    :Noddingyes:

15. alam1108

Well clearly we are doing something different, we're not trying to surround Lebron with a bunch of shooters like his previous teams.

abeer3, Cookie and LTLakerFan like this.
  16. vasashi17

Exactly, which is why I want the goons on the floor with Bron. I think Zo and Hart can mix and match best with Rondo/Kcp in the backcourt. But till BI/Kuz prove otherwise, Stevenson is at that other forward spot with Bron and McGee/Moe/Zu at the 5 depending on what you need (D&oboards/stretch offense/post play) in the postseason.

We don't need Bron running point with shooters around him, just like we don't need a death lineup with him playing center.

That death lineup has more offensive potential, but sacrifices on defense. I would rather have a defensive lineup than a death lineup. But I have no problem giving a death lineup some run in the regular season to see what we have. I just don't think it's sustainable in the playoffs.

17. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Comment of the month.

We can't beat the Dubs at their game. But they can be beat. Make them adjust. Punch them in the mouth and see how they react. Be we gotta be us.

18. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Agreed John3:16. GS looked vulnerable last year and the grind of yet another playoffs and championship defense are going to come into play this season.

19. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

The money's been moved and the weapons will be here soon. Let's do this!

HA! Am currently binging 2nd season of El Chapo.

:Crazyartest:

Lakeshow85 and sirronstuff like this.
  20. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    He should have been the starting C for this team like Draymond. Can't block shots but can perfectly switch into guards and has the speed to run.

But I get it.. He is not a tough playmaker do he must suck by Magics logic.