LABron James Discussion: 21st Season - Setting New Standards

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jun 8, 2017.

1. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    we'll be in the 2nd round next year, but we can still do it without LeHurl

:Kobepuking:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  2. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

alam1108, ZenMaster and sirronstuff like this.
  3. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Back in the day Kobe vs. Shaw gave me a very convenient filtering device.

It seems that these days are back. Only with LeBron. I’m fine with that.

jbiggs likes this.
  4. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

I do not want Lebron. Seriously. We do not need him. PG and then get Klay Thompson next year and let's start winning titles.

Barnstable, ZenMaster and sirronstuff like this.
  5. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Kobe chased off Shaq and Phil? So now we are reinventing history? Shaq chased himself off by screaming at Doc Buss during a game to pay him.
    Phil & Dr. Buss went their separate ways for multiple reasons none of which were named Kobe. I get that you’ve always had beef with 24, but don’t make stuff up to make a point.

And I don’t want LeBron just like I don’t want to sell my soul to the devil.

tada, jbiggs, ZenMaster and 3 others like this.
  6. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Nah. I'll take Lebron and PG this summer if at all possible. If it doesn't work out that way then I go to plan B.

Plan A: Get Lebron and PG, move Deng with some picks and Zu, retain Randle, sign Lopez with the Room exception, sign Frye to vet min, sign a decent backup point guard to vet minimum. Then contend.

7. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

At least you get my beef, and that is the point...

I don't get how a guy that calls himself TIME completely ignores the convenient time line of the '04 summer and chalks it up as revisionist history when Kobe was the only one remaining after a Finals team was blown up. If Shaq was the only one remaining that summer as Phil, Kob, GP and Malone were all removed, you want to ponder a guess as to what the narrative would be then? Shaq had 2 years remaining on his contract (paying him 29M and 32M which is what he wanted to get paid annually with a 3 year 90M extension request), yet we're in such a rush to trade dude the summer Kobe is a free agent and get bent over to take on BGrant's albatross deal?

Shaq screamed at Dr. Buss to get paid and stay on as a Laker (via an extension) and got traded, but Kobe never threatened Dr. Buss for a trade? Who's revising Hisstory again?

Your post pretty much validates my point completely. If you're a fan of Kobe, possibly a part of you don't want LeBron here cause he's the devil that could tarnish Kobe's legacy. Lebron is such an ego-trip cause he wants everybody to acknowledge his greatness, yet Kob didn't want to do the same thing by winning without Shaq and pointing out his 5 to Shaq's 4....right? Imagine if dude woulda got 6 or 7, you don't think #24 wouldn't validate that he was better than #23?

Kobe gets brought up in this conversation, not cause I'm a Kobe hater...but cause he's relevant to be brought up in this discussion. When you talk about great wings like MJ and Bron, you don't bring up Shaq over Kobe. When you talk about Lakers that shoulda had more hardware as a Laker, you don't bring up Shaq over a Laker Lifer like Kobe.

If that means I got "beef" with Kobe, then so be it...but FYI, I'm a vegetarian and I'm not making that stuff up. But continue with the Kobe hater witch hunt, just to make a point.

8. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

9. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

Lakers > individual player

I don't care if our team is smush, ebanks, LeBron, kwame and dwight and our 6th man is Raja Bell....... If that team wins a championship for the Los Angeles Lakers then that's all that matters is banner number 17,18,19 and so forth

:LakersRing2::Trophy2::Pwf:

10. jbiggs

jbiggs - Rookie -

Event Operations for the San Diego Padres
    i love how other forums of nba teams outta the playoffs may be quiet, yet we still have good discussion here throughout the summer

11. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

:No2: to the ring is the only thing thinking for me. So much more involved with fandom if you do what's necessary to be competitive for the championship.

Toklat and ZenMaster like this.
  12. sirronstuff

[​IMG]

and sashes..... it's all coming together now.

:Laugh:

13. vasashi17

It definitely is....so do you and that marvelous "head wrap" of yours want to come find out what all the hypes about?

Big Mamma Jamma likes this.
  14. sirronstuff

15. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

:Shaqfunnyface:

sirronstuff likes this.
  16. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Look, you are simply wrong on this Kobe ran Shaq and Phil out of town fake news story. Now you are expanding it to include GP and Malone. Why stop there? Maybe Kobe also ran these guys out of town who were gone after the failed Finals team: Rick Fox, Ho Grant, Pargo, Udoka, Sampson, Carter.

Here is the reality. We cleaned house after that Finals. 9 guys were gone. That's house cleaning, not Kobe running the show.

Shaq and Phil had their own stories in their exit. You are completely underestimating Doc Buss if you think Shaq's public disrespect was just a side note in his trade.

Once the Shaq decision was made, it was an easy call to jettison Phil. Phil and Jim Buss were feuding. Dr. Buss did not like Phil seeing Jeannie. Phil was wanting more money. Phil and Kobe were no longer on the same page. And there was no realistic shot of a ring with Shaq gone, so Phil was not worth the headache. Easy call for Dr. Buss. The Kobe factor was just one of several reasons to not resign Phil.

On the LeBron thing: if he signs here (which he will) I will adjust and root for his success. But I don't like him. Never have since his rookie year. My dislike is not a Kobe protection mechanism. It has everything to do with LeBron himself. He is a self absorbed, flopping, choking, stat focused, super team dependent prima donna.

Barnstable, ZenMaster, tada and 8 others like this.
  17. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Go Pacers.

tada, Big Mamma Jamma, jbiggs and 3 others like this.
  18. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

They should be up 3-1. Now i don't see them beat Cle.

19. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I pretty much agree with you on this 100% TIME. And I feel the same way about Lebron. But . . . I think if we paired him up with PG we'd have a contender again so I'm actually rooting for it to happen. Also at this point in his career I'm much less down on him.

20. vasashi17

@TIME So we clean house...but why exactly? Phil could still coach and wanted to. Shaq was still dominant and still was an all-star that can contribute to titles. The Pistons were a good team, but we're 3 games away from another title and Kobe had a case looming over his head along with key injuries to HoGrant and Malone. Why blow it up and clean house?

Especially when you're going to reintroduce the triangle via Hamblen (RIP) and bring back Phil not even an entire year later (once Kob was locked into his new 7 year contract).

Your timeline is plausible, but don't rule mine out as fictional revisionist history all while alluding that I'm some Kobe defamator.

Either way... Looking forward to this summer so that next year around this time, we're talking advancing in the playoffs and nothing else.

#LookingPastTheComfortInOurBanners

TIME and jbiggs like this.